1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good read. I'm excited for this awd system but a bit worried on how it's going to be able to handle the power that tuners are going to be able to pull out of the motor.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good read. I'm excited for this awd system but a bit worried on how it's going to be able to handle the power that tuners are going to be able to pull out of the motor.
I'd say if they want to play, they got to pay...

Thanks for the article!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I think any attempts to significantly upgrade power will carry a wide ranging durability question mark, given that FoMoCo say they have squeezed as much out of it as they could. The design of course factored in relatively respectable fuel economy, which is not a criteria when modding for more power. In saying that, there is always room to move, but at what price?.........

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be using mine just as a road car, no track, will not be modifying it, so hopefully durability isn't a problem, having said that, i'm very good on cars, even my track car, my current daily is up to 175,000km, has the original clutch AND the original brake pads/rotors and before you think I ***** this thing, think again, I've done track days in it, It sees the 8800rpm limiter on a very regular basis, I think it comes down to thrashing it and driving it, two different things.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I will be using mine just as a road car, no track, will not be modifying it, so hopefully durability isn't a problem, having said that, i'm very good on cars, even my track car, my current daily is up to 175,000km, has the original clutch AND the original brake pads/rotors and before you think I ***** this thing, think again, I've done track days in it, It sees the 8800rpm limiter on a very regular basis, I think it comes down to thrashing it and driving it, two different things.
Holy crap how is that even possible??!! Thats nuts!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Its not hard if most miles are on the open road so miles per stop are high. 110,000 miles is doable for highway driving.
I do city driving 98%, with very minor highway use and the odd track day. :)

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
I do city driving 98%, with very minor highway use and the odd track day. :)
Your city driving have stop sign or roundabouts? I understand gentle driving, but over 100k miles on stock pads with 90% city here in US is very hard due to constant stop and go, yield signs are rare and roundabouts are almost non-existent here. I wish we had more of both, but most drivers here don't seem to have the mental capacity to understand them.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Adelaide, South Australia and the governments idea of traffic control is lots of traffic lights, round abouts and stop signs, I have no idea why they have lasted so long cos I drive like a bit of a mad man, every traffic light start is like a Grand Prix, round abouts are for testing max lateral G's. I'm in my mid 40's and every car I have had seems to last well considering I like to corner fast etc, I never replace clutches etc, whereas my younger brother destroys gearboxes like nothing, blows diffs all the time. I have no doubt the brakes in my daily are EASY going to do over 200,000km and the clutch still feels great. My number one tip for clutch use is let the clutch up at the lowest rpm possible, also down change late so the rpm drop is less and less work for the synchros, I never ride the brakes and can come to basically a standstill just using engine compression and gears.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Your city driving have stop sign or roundabouts? I understand gentle driving, but over 100k miles on stock pads with 90% city here in US is very hard due to constant stop and go, yield signs are rare and roundabouts are almost non-existent here. I wish we had more of both, but most drivers here don't seem to have the mental capacity to understand them.
You should move to Indianapolis. On the north side the local government is on a tirade to replace every single intersection with roundabouts. It is glorious. I can drive from one side of the city to the other without having to stop once. Everyone is so aggressive here that even in their incompetence they do roundabouts correctly. Once you get on the highway, though, that's when you need the brakes.

Maniacs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So true. Everyone around here STOPS at yield signs and seems to blow thru stop signs...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think any attempts to significantly upgrade power will carry a wide ranging durability question mark, given that FoMoCo say they have squeezed as much out of it as they could. The design of course factored in relatively respectable fuel economy, which is not a criteria when modding for more power. In saying that, there is always room to move, but at what price?.........
Well..

The Focus RS, like the GT350 is a Ford Performance Racing (FPR) product... those products are being tested on the track & in competition... and many of those upgraded parts are/will be in the FPR catalogue. All sponsored and supported by those willing to pay Ford.

In think after a few years of Ford's racing programs... and subsequent development, you will see possibly something more exotic with Carbon Fiber halfshafts, or bonnets, etc.. .

This GKN driveline is just the beginning of the story.
HOw it works and how it operates as a system is known now and it's great. For performance sake, there is non better AWD system out there. And I am quite sure, there is going to be an upgraded version of it in the future. The RS500 (2018MY?)is rumored to be featuring the newly developed 9-spd dct. If so, then the GKN system front unit will need a slight re-design, etc.. and I suspect for Rally Sport upgraded rear unit and cooling, etc.

To me, I am starting to think this RS might be insane with 9-spd DCT, MagnaRide & race proven GKN driveline... <----

Ford Performance did right going after GKN.. both companies are in for a Win/Win...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
w3rkn
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing