Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ford allows a no charge alignment during the first 12 mos/12k mi.....get it done asap.

I was noticing a slight pull/drift to the left and occassional torque steer feeling on wot. I decided to have the dealer tech meet with me and jointly walk thru the setup.

When we put the car on the alignment rack it clearly shown that the car was out of spec both for the and rear. First off the RS specs are as follows: frt camber -1.51 (non-adjustable) rear camber -0.97 (non-adjustable), front toe total 0.20, + or - 0.2 degr, rear toe 0.15, + or - .2 and total rear toe 0.3, + or - 0.2 degr.

The actual readings were: front camber = -1.2 L, -1.7 R, toe = 0.15 L, 0.5 R and total toe = 0.2. The rear was -1.0 L, -1.1 R degr camber, toe = -0.1L, 0.3 R degr total toe = 0.2.

Clearly the rear toe, which was in spec but at the opposite extremes of the factory tolerances, was affecting the push/drift. The front camber while not matched side to side, it was within factory tolerances and less than the -0.75 deg side to side difference considered ok by factory.

I had the front toe zero'd out, and was able to make a slight improvement to the front camber left side (moving if from -1.2 to -1.45 and left the right side at -1.7. The rear toe was set at 0.15 on both sides based on the tech's recommendation. I was going to go zero but he suggested that a slight toe was beneficial so I went with 0.15 . The rear camber didn't need any correction.

Afterwards I took it for a quick spirited drive and the car didn't drift/pull and felt much more stable going straight and at corner turn-in....definately somethng you should do as soon as you can.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If only I can find a Ford dealer near me I actually trust. They all suck, I'll have to expand my radius as I'm willing to drive to not have my car messed up worse than when I bring it in.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that's inconvenient then just go to any good alignment shop......the RS has so few actual alignment adjustments that it is pretty simple...its really just toe. Recommend at least checking the alignment to ensure that it is as good as it can be.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
If the RS has no camber adjustment why does the factory manual list such a wide range in comparison?

The factory camber may be -1.51°, but the range is listed as +/- 1.25°.

Following standard notation that indicates that the camber setting is capable of being -.026° to -2.76°

That seems to be quite a bit of adjustment there.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O32143&languageCode=en&marketCode=GB&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1686588&subTitleSelected=G1805639&topicHRef=G1805646&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had similar pulling issues in wot and hard braking. My free alignment was spot on. I had oil changed and checked and it came back good. Moved up to full synthetic and finally had compression test to make sure all cylinders and rings worked in correctly. All 4 came back same matching factory specs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are you kidding me? I tried to get my dealer to do an alignment on delivery and they gave me the run around. I even mentioned paying for it and they still didn't want to do it. I was just about to go pay for my own. Good thing I stopped taking my car to them. Time to find another dealer I can trust with the car.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I had mine checked last night during first oil change (1800miles). Mine came back similar to yours but maybe a little closer to matching. Tech assured me everything was fine and well within spec.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My only comment is that all of my readings except 1 was within spec......but the rear toe was skewed to the opposite of the specs. The result was one side was toed out, the other toed in.....result was car pushed to left side. I guess I'm just OCD on getting the car alignment right not just "within spec".

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the RS has no camber adjustment why does the factory manual list such a wide range in comparison?

The factory camber may be -1.51°, but the range is listed as +/- 1.25°.

Following standard notation that indicates that the camber setting is capable of being -.026° to -2.76°

That seems to be quite a bit of adjustment there.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?bookCode=O32143&languageCode=en&marketCode=GB&viewTech=IE&chapterTitleSelected=G1686588&subTitleSelected=G1805639&topicHRef=G1805646&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True
Basically there is NO front camber adjustment regardless of what the specs indicate. There are no camber bolts or cams to move the front or rear hubs to set camber. In addition the front springs are so close to the underbody it is almost impossible to get any side to side movement to adjust camber. Even coilovers would be challenged to add much camber. The only way that I can see to add camber would be camber plates w/coilovers but it is going to be tough. The RS probably can go beyond -1. 8 deg in front without some kind of redesign or significant changes, IMO.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had similar pulling issues in wot and hard braking. My free alignment was spot on. I had oil changed and checked and it came back good. Moved up to full synthetic and finally had compression test to make sure all cylinders and rings worked in correctly. All 4 came back same matching factory specs.
Compression test after breakin. I like your style.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Are you kidding me? I tried to get my dealer to do an alignment on delivery and they gave me the run around. I even mentioned paying for it and they still didn't want to do it. I was just about to go pay for my own. Good thing I stopped taking my car to them. Time to find another dealer I can trust with the car.
Alignments are in your base warranty. I walked in ans said I want XYZ and I said Im sure I owe for the oil change and compression test and I did. I have free alignments and lifetime touch-less carwashes from my dealer.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have a document but if you can gain access to the terms of your std warranty it should be covered under the 1 yr/12k mi no charge adjustments. You can only do it once under the terms of the warranty...per my dealer. With that said any decent shop could do a toe alignment for under $90....so I'd just do it if your dealer is an a#!?&€e about it.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

Is this not the case?
I keep seeing this picture pop-up. And I hope it came directly from the RS shop manual, because if so, then there IS adjustment to be had.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Is this not the case?
That's.... odd. All you'll really get is a slight change in ride height, but no appreciable camber adjustment.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts