Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do the math and figure out the top speed in 2nd gear, at 6800 RPM? This will be an important Autocross question..

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
way too much math involved to pencil it down but I would guess 59-60 (lower than you want for ax, blame the 6spd?)
but, due to the popularity of the ST in G street, I highly doubt the RS will land in a class that gives it a fighting chance. as eager as I am to punch cones in anger, I don't expect it to be class competitive.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A or B street likely and I don't see why it won't be competitive. mY ST isn't much off the mark on those cars in stock form, separated by seconds that amount to the ST not being able to put down the power

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
A or B street likely and I don't see why it won't be competitive. mY ST isn't much off the mark on those cars in stock form, separated by seconds that amount to the ST not being able to put down the power
I say it wont be competitive because the SCCA (SEB) will not allow the ST to dominate GS and then introduce the RS (much harder to get) and put it where it too can dominate.
I expect the car to be buried deep.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My guess is that the Focus RS will be placed in the B Street class.

They put the 2015 VW Golf R, 2015 Audi S3, and 2004-2015 Subaru WRX STi into BS this year. Seems logical to continue the trend with the Focus RS.

The S2000 and C5 Corvette are typically at the top of this class. So can the RS be competitive against the S2000?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My guess is that the Focus RS will be placed in the B Street class.

They put the 2015 VW Golf R, 2015 Audi S3, and 2004-2015 Subaru WRX STi into BS this year. Seems logical to continue the trend with the Focus RS.

The S2000 and C5 Corvette are typically at the top of this class. So can the RS be competitive against the S2000?
My ST is pretty close to a heavily modified S2000. He beats me on raw time but I beat him on pax.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Another member in my local chapter mentioned also getting an RS (he recently got a FiST) and we both expect it will be in BS with the Golf R and STI. If the cup2 tires are what Michelin and Ford are currently marketing them as the car at regional events on these should be very competitive in BS. The stock OE Michelin not so much. But for national events some star spec Z2s or other Street class (200+tw) tire should work good. At the very least it'll be fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will probably try the Bridgestone RE-71R tires initially, for street class.
Yeah, seeing what a lot of people did on that tire this year, has me thinking about it next time I purchase.

As for the specific question of the speed in second gear, I imagine that on most local chapter events, second will be the gear to be in, and it will work well. National events, where the bigger courses are, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one real tempting event in the course to shift into third.

And classing is always crazy. STU has seen Evos and STIs leaving on the national level, as Corvettes and Nissan Z cars have really put a hurting on them. For STU, they're debating, like right now, on whether to allow AWD cars to put on 255 - 265 rubber. I imagine this is why most people like racing their AWD cars in the stock classes.

Mike K

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will probably try the Bridgestone RE-71R tires initially, for street class.
I changed to the RE-71Rs on my E36 M3 this season and they are way better then my ZI or ZII's for autocross. Track event coming up soon..

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you want competitive tires for SCCA Solo classes, it's definitely a choice between the RE-71R or Rival S. The testing I did at National events sites had them within a tenth of each other on the FiST. I chose the Rival S as I was doing ProSolo's primarily and there was no Bridgestone contingency. They both wear similar but the better all around tire is the RE-71R as the Rival S falls behind in the wet and you will save about $120/set with the RE-71R. The nice thing about Pro's is best runs over two days. In the two years I have been running them, there has always been one dry day.

I hope the car lands in B Street as well. There is at least one supporting data point. The one 15 STI that was co-driven this year at Nats was in positions 14 and 17, 3.3 seconds away from 1st.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My ST is pretty close to a heavily modified S2000. He beats me on raw time but I beat him on pax.
That says more about your driving skill versus his. In "pro" hands, a B-Street S2000 and G-Street ST are pretty close, but a properly prepared STR S2000 lays waste to both of them. A lot of "heavily modified" cars are slower than the stock version though. ;)

The Focus RS will be in B-Street with the rest of the class (STI, Evo, Golf R, etc.) If you assume that it's going to be a little faster than an STI, it'll still be behind the Corvette and S2000. That said, who cares. Most people don't have a dedicated autocross car, so take your Focus RS out there. It definitely isn't going to embarrass itself.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That says more about your driving skill versus his. In "pro" hands, a B-Street S2000 and G-Street ST are pretty close, but a properly prepared STR S2000 lays waste to both of them. A lot of "heavily modified" cars are slower than the stock version though. ;)

The Focus RS will be in B-Street with the rest of the class (STI, Evo, Golf R, etc.) If you assume that it's going to be a little faster than an STI, it'll still be behind the Corvette and S2000. That said, who cares. Most people don't have a dedicated autocross car, so take your Focus RS out there. It definitely isn't going to embarrass itself.
The member in my region is a pro driver so I guess that does say a bit about my driving. Never thought of it that way.

I don't care if I get beat by a Vette or the S2000. Mines to be a daily driver, throughout winter as well. Lets see the Vette and S2000 line up when its 32 degrees and you've got to get the wife to work and the kids to school!

That's what I love about the RS, a real car, with real power, for the real world.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I see some scary stuff sometimes working at a dealer. Let's just say Camaros or Vettes with snow tires coming in for oil changes during a blizzard are not as uncommon as you think :)

The member in my region is a pro driver so I guess that does say a bit about my driving. Never thought of it that way.

I don't care if I get beat by a Vette or the S2000. Mines to be a daily driver, throughout winter as well. Lets see the Vette and S2000 line up when its 32 degrees and you've got to get the wife to work and the kids to school!

That's what I love about the RS, a real car, with real power, for the real world.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
We used to love running around in Mass. with 4 snow tires on a RWD car, sometimes with studded all around. You just have to be very careful if you hit bare pavement :)

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts