Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Sydney Australia

Ive signed up here in preparation for the RS AWD due next spring.

I have been into the Mitsubishi Evolutions for 8 years, and its time to move on, and into the next gen awd.

Looking forward to sharing and reading up on everything RS Focus

thanks in advance

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome - that makes 5 of us now.

Have you ordered one yet ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi All

I am from Melbourne.

Booked the RS in Magnetic. Stock wheels. I didn't the forged as I didn't want the track tyres.

Can't wait !!!!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another nitrous blue one, welcome!

Anyone daily driving their car with the cup 2 tyres? I am, wonder how long they'll last.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Another nitrous blue one, welcome!

Anyone daily driving their car with the cup 2 tyres? I am, wonder how long they'll last.
I went with the cup2's and this'll be my daily driver (although "daily" is probably not accurate, I commute to work on a train mon-fri and my wife and I tend to only do social stuff on weekends so "weekend" driver is probably more appropriate...)

I've heard anecdotally the cup2's will last about 5k but I haven't confirmed this. I imagine it'll have a lot to do with how you drive, I plan on being sensible on Sydney roads and only pushing the car on isolated stretches away from populated areas.

Even if I only get a few k out of them I'm sure it'll be a fun experience and worth the indulgence cost-wise :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
^^^ I reckon 5K is if you were thrashing the pants off it all the time. I'll be happy with 10k though. Wonder what they cost to replace. I can justify $1200 odd per year for tyres given it will be a work car. Probably be more like 450 per corner though given Australia tax

·
Registered
116 Posts
^^^ I reckon 5K is if you were thrashing the pants off it all the time. I'll be happy with 10k though. Wonder what they cost to replace. I can justify $1200 odd per year for tyres given it will be a work car. Probably be more like 450 per corner though given Australia tax
Brief google skim seems to show around $AUD500+ per shoe for our size. Love Oz but man do we get screwed on price for fun toys...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Welcome!

2 problems I hear of with the PSC2's: They need heat to work well, and it is rare to get them up to temp on the street. The 2nd thing I saw when I was doing the research to decide this choice for myself was that they are not as puncture-resistant. Here in NorCal we have potholes and debris on the road with depressing frequency. So I went with the Pilot Super Sports which by 95% of the accounts are a great street tire.

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Brief google skim seems to show around $AUD500+ per shoe for our size. Love Oz but man do we get screwed on price for fun toys...
wow 2K for 235/18s, what a rip off. Costco can probably do a much better price, I might give them a call to check.
Welcome!

2 problems I hear of with the PSC2's: They need heat to work well, and it is rare to get them up to temp on the street. The 2nd thing I saw when I was doing the research to decide this choice for myself was that they are not as puncture-resistant. Here in NorCal we have potholes and debris on the road with depressing frequency. So I went with the Pilot Super Sports which by 95% of the accounts are a great street tire.

Jim
Puncture is a problem for sure, i've had plenty of soft compound tyres grab screws and other junk on the road before, its usually the front tyres which flick he debris onto the back wheels which then puncture. very annoying! Looking forward to trying the PSC2s on the track though.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Yep, if this was >75% track I would do the PSC2's as well. But realistically it will be <5% track unless I hardly drive it!

Jim

·
Registered
219 Posts
wow 2K for 235/18s, what a rip off. Costco can probably do a much better price, I might give them a call to check.

Puncture is a problem for sure, i've had plenty of soft compound tyres grab screws and other junk on the road before, its usually the front tyres which flick he debris onto the back wheels which then puncture. very annoying! Looking forward to trying the PSC2s on the track though.
I've ordered the standard set up as well.

I agree with DeltaT - very rarely will the optimum tyre temp be reached on the street for the cup tyre.
I've also found that street legal track tyres are definitely less puncture resistant.
I run Nitto Nt05 Street legal track tyres (200AA) and I've had two punctures that rendered the tyre un-repairable each time. I'm constantly on the look out for nails/screws when driving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep, if this was >75% track I would do the PSC2's as well. But realistically it will be <5% track unless I hardly drive it!

Jim
Do you get a choice of the tires separately in the states? In Aus we have to option the Cup 2s if we want the forged wheels unfortunately.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Another one here from Aus (WA).

Ordered MG with the performance wheel pack.

I asked the dealer (and Ford Aus via FB) if we can option the standard PSS tyres on the Forged Wheels and all they said was not at this stage.

On another RS forum, there was a link to someone from Michelin who explained the difference between the PSS and PSC2 tyres as:
  • PSS - 80% road use / 20% track use
  • PSC2 - 20% road use / 80% track use
Seems a bit odd that Ford Aus would 'force' customers to use a track tyre if they want the optional alloys.
Given other countries can mix n match - why can't we?

(check out the Australian Order thread: http://www.focusrs.org/forum/34-focus-rs-australia/1052-australian-2016-focus-rs-orders-2.html#post26939)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
ashy
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing