Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the gauge cluster on the dash is analog or electronic? I'm assuming most boost gauges are analog (and prefer them) but was just curious. I had an SRT4 in a past life (oh how I miss front wheel drive burnouts) and remember that having a boost gauge as standard equipment seemed to be a big deal, but haven't really heard much squawking about this.

gauge.jpg

Thanks for any insight on this

Cheers

·
Registered
520 Posts
All the gauges are analog in the FoRS including the boost gauge which is one of the three in the top center of the dash. Though the center screen between the tach and speedo may be configurable to show a digital boost gauge or acceleration and lateral g's etc. not exactly sure though.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Anyone know if the gauge cluster on the dash is analog or electronic? I'm assuming most boost gauges are analog (and prefer them) but was just curious. I had an SRT4 in a past life (oh how I miss front wheel drive burnouts) and remember that having a boost gauge as standard equipment seemed to be a big deal, but haven't really heard much squawking about this.

View attachment 2580

Thanks for any insight on this

Cheers
The three gauges are all electronic. They receive CAN messages that tell them what to display. Also, the oil pressure and temperature are calculated rather than measured.

This is of course assuming that they function the same as the ST, but they look identical.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Wow! Today I Learned...

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
All the gauges are analog in the FoRS including the boost gauge which is one of the three in the top center of the dash. Though the center screen between the tach and speedo may be configurable to show a digital boost gauge or acceleration and lateral g's etc. not exactly sure though.
Surprising enough in cruise control , you also get a digital speedometer ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
213 Posts
be interesting once people start modding the vehicle and applying higher levels of boost if the guage will max out or not.

·
Registered
237 Posts
In the ST with the Ford Racing Performance tune the gauge tops out at the 25 psi limit so I would think so.
I run 26-27 psi and my gauge pegs in full boost. The RS gauge should be 30 psi as the 15 ST's have a 30 psi instead of a 25 psi gauge like the 13-14

·
Registered
861 Posts
I run 26-27 psi and my gauge pegs in full boost. The RS gauge should be 30 psi as the 15 ST's have a 30 psi instead of a 25 psi gauge like the 13-14
Can confirm 30 psi boost pressure gauge.
16FordFocusRS_05_HR.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would love aftermarket digital gauges for the three top gauges, slightly the same size but easier to read, I think those three that Brandon made is too much for my taste

·
Registered
471 Posts
I can see that. Those are 2" gauges. You could probably do the same with 1.5" gauges.
Can someone help a noob and tell us what all 3 gauges are used for? What is the purpose and how do they help? I've never had a car fast enough to have these. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Can someone help a noob and tell us what all 3 gauges are used for? What is the purpose and how do they help? I've never had a car fast enough to have these. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering
Well there are different gauges that you may want to swap out the original three for if you're doing a custom job, but the stock gauges are...

Oil pressure: Too low and you may have an oil leak or a bad pump. Your engine needs oil like blood. No oil and your engine dies.

Oil Temperature: Certain oils have temperature ranges where they are most effective too low and you should go easy on the engine, too high and you should back off (because you're probably at the track beating the car to death).

Boost: Tells you if your hitting the boost level that you expect. Generally this is more useful for tuned cars, but it can tell you if the car is pulling boost for some reason.

I'm sure a mechanic can jump in here and give more detailed reasons why they are important, but that's the basics as I understand them.

Edit: Information about oil pressure http://lubricants.s5.com/oil_pressure.htm

Oil temperature (I think the author is a bit paranoid, but you at least get the idea):
http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2011/05/keep-your-engine-alive-the-importance-of-oil-temperature/

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
oil temperature, turbo boost, oil pressure.

IMHO:

oil temperature - during hard driving temperature can go up. stock RS intercooler is pretty large, so probably won't be a factor. However, if you see this gauge go up, might be time to shut down your RS for awhile an let it cool off.

turbo boost - indicates when you are on boost; some people on ST forum found their boost wasn't working when gauge didn't move. Rare and you would also know from lack of power. Kind of nice to watch. If you are tracking or racing you might want to add a more sophisticated digital gauge.

oil pressure- when cold is high; when warm normal somewhere around mid-range. Good to glance at and know it is in your consistent operating range.

They are kind-of gimmicks in normal driving and if you are racing and/or tracking a lot you might want more sophisticated gauges and additional gauges.

Peace, YMMV, Motor On,

MidCow3

P.S. - Have a Happy Thanksgiving ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
oil temperature - during hard driving temperature can go up. stock RS intercooler is pretty large, so probably won't be a factor. However, if you see this gauge go up, might be time to shut down your RS for awhile an let it cool off.

turbo boost - indicates when you are on boost; some people on ST forum found their boost wasn't working when gauge didn't move. Rare and you would also know from lack of power. Kind of nice to watch.
How well the stock intercooler functions will have no effect on oil temperature management. The intercooler cools down the charge air coming from the turbo and that's it. With the track in mind Ford will have probably installed a thermostatically controlled external oil cooler and that will help track temps.

The boost gauge is a digital gauge that is pulling it's information from either directly from the ECU or the CANBUS(not sure how it ties in with the ST or RS.) It also only functions under boost, not under vacuum.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts

turbo boost - indicates when you are on boost; some people on ST forum found their boost wasn't working when gauge didn't move. Rare and you would also know from lack of power. Kind of nice to watch.
How well the stock intercooler functions will have no effect on oil temperature management. The intercooler cools down the charge air coming from the turbo and that's it. With the track in mind Ford may have installed a thermostatically controlled external oil cooler and that will help track temps.

The boost gauge is a digital gauge that is pulling it's information from either directly from the ECU or the CANBUS(not sure how it ties in with the ST or RS.) It also only functions under boost, not under vacuum.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
How well the stock intercooler functions will have no effect on oil temperature management. The intercooler cools down the charge air coming from the turbo and that's it. With the track in mind Ford may have installed a thermostatically controlled external oil cooler and that will help track temps.

Okay about intercooler not directly affecting oil temperature; but if intercooler temp goes up from hard driving are you saying it has no effect director indirect on oil temperature??

Boost gauge appears to be analog to me:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Okay about intercooler not directly affecting oil temperature; but if intercooler temp goes up from hard driving are you saying it has no effect director indirect on oil temperature??

Boost gauge appears to be analog to me:

YMMV,

MidCow3
Yes, charge air temps will have no appreciable effect on oil temp. You can run water/meth injection and keep charge air temps at or below ambient for a 15 minute session and you'll see no differnce in oil temp.

The gauge has a needle face on it but it's operation is electronic.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts