Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent post about the first RS rolling off the line, Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire had this to say on Jalopnik:

"I was told by my dealer that, thanks to the EPA’s new Requirements to independently test new vehicles, my RS, (allocation #1 at the largest ford dealer in the world) which was supposed to come in February, has been pushed back to June. I'm bummed."

So given these cars are currently rolling off the line, is it possible they get held hostage that long until all EPA requirements are cleared? Not that his comment is gospel but just throwing it out there as another puzzle piece.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well, I hope this is like any other dealership comment. They just don't know anything.
Seriously. Judging by the wide range of info dealers give out, anything is possible and impossible at the same time. I call this Schrodinger's Focus RS :topsy_turvy:

(funky new emojis, i see)

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's a hell of a delay, I would think Ford would be doing everything they can to make sure things like this aren't causing that much of a delay. No, they shouldn't cheat, but there are ethical ways to expedite these types of processes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the good thing is they're being made- whether they spend months being held back by the evil hand of the EPA is another story- I hope it's just some "dealer insight" and nothing more.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well, I hope this is like any other dealership comment. They just don't know anything.
Except, being the latest dealership in the country with Allotment number 1 (reportedly) they might just know what they are talking about.

By the way Matt, cry me a river would you. It's not like you don't have your choice of what every you want to drive until the RS arrives. Us non celebrity types have to make do and suffer with our real first world crisis of not having a RS until...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Except, being the latest dealership in the country with Allotment number 1 (reportedly) they might just know what they are talking about.

By the way Matt, cry me a river would you. It's not like you don't have your choice of what every you want to drive until the RS arrives. Us non celebrity types have to make do and suffer with our real first world crisis of not having a RS until...
Haha, nice!

"But...but...I only review them!"

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Well I guess there will be limited numbers of the 2016 RS. By the time they make it to customers it will be almost 2017.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Why would they stop scheduling. The emissions clearance happens after they are built. It's procedural, not something wrong with the build.
What's the point in having cars sitting around for 5 months before being delivered? That's a long time for a company to have a product on the shelf before collecting any revenue for it (plus the fact that they are built to order).

I haven't found any information about the EPA testing every new car. I'm only seeing notes about them changing their procedures, to include more road tests and also doing more "random" checks with customer cars. In addition, they look to be checking new and older diesels to see if other makes/models have the "cheat" devices.

Ford Media themselves still mention spring US deliveries.

I guess my point is that I'm skeptical of any information straight from a dealership...

·
Registered
591 Posts
I rule this one as "Possible".

Ann Arbor – The Environmental Protection Agency is “upping” its game and will begin testing both diesel- and gas-powered vehicles already on the road, to make sure that automakers haven’t been cheating on tests that measure smog-forming emissions.

The announcement came Friday as Volkswagen AG’s massive diesel-testing scandal continued to unfold.

The EPA will conduct more spot checks of light-duty cars and trucks, testing vehicles owned by individuals and rental companies in real-world driving conditions. The EPA also could take cars from manufacturers’ assembly lines
EPA takes new steps to foil emissions test cheating

Thanks VW! Funny that my wife has a Jetta TDI that may be bought back too because of dieselgate.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. Ford has come out with a few cars in their day - I doubt that EPA regulation would sneak up on them in the 11th hour and significantly delay a car the have been working on for years with their best team on hand.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
F'n roller coaster around here, "got a call" yipee!! "Heard a rumor", "dude on another board says" oh dang, end of the world! Glad I don't buy into all this ****e, makes it fun to watch.
When we all have our cars, we can look back and laugh at all this...hopefully.

·
Registered
591 Posts
To Lars24's point, a June delivery lines up with a Spring/early Summer delivery schedule too.

I'm sure it's plenty of factors, he's on the west cost, other people ordered cars before him, his dealer was slow to place the order, transit times from Europe to the US. He should just be happy he's getting one while other wonder if they'll even be able to place an order for one later in the year.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Matt Farah Says US Deliveries for 2016 RS's Delayed Because of EPA

My thread was a dup and was merged...sorry about that!

Matt Farah (The Smoking Tire), if I remember correctly, ordered his car through Galpin Ford (a very large dealership in LA area). What do you guys think? Any validity to his claim? I would normally dismiss info like this but I think Matts words on this subject hold a bit more value than the regular joe.

This is his quote from the comments section of a recent RS article on Jalopnik.

"I was told by my dealer that, thanks to the EPA’s new Requirements to independently test new vehicles, my RS, (allocation #1 at the largest ford dealer in the world) which was supposed to come in February, has been pushed back to June. I'm bummed."

Matt Farah.PNG

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
38 Participants
kdarbuckle
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing