Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for these stats I used weight of RS at 3364lbs (estimated at 150lbs more than 2015 ST est curb), official numbers Ford has stated (345hp, 324ft-lb)

Compared to my current best performing car the RS may get 40% more hp/lb with the ft-lbs/lb at 45% more all while weighing over 68% more! The raw HP and ft-lbs increases are a whopping +136% and +144% over my current car.

Besides, what else are we going to do here for the next year?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
So for these stats I used weight of RS at 3364lbs (150lbs more than 2015 ST est curb), numbers at minimal Ford has stated (315hp, 320ft-lb)

Compared to my current best performing car the RS may get over 28% more hp/lb with the ft-lbs/lb at over 43% more all while weighing over 68% more! The raw HP and ft-lbs increases are a whopping +115% and +140% over my current car. And these numbers are at a minimum!

Besides, what else are we going to do here for the next year?
What is your current best performing, car a Miata?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What is your current best performing, car a Miata?
84 Civic. If I put another grand or so under the hood to get about 190 for hp and ft-lbs the x/lb numbers would be going down moving to the RS, but the RS could put it to the ground better, so the usable power of the RS would still be more, but its hard to determine usable numbers for comparison.

But by only weighing in at 2,000lbs and running Hoosier A6s the data logger normally shows around corners I'm over 1G, best I've seen was 1.24G.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well the RS will be turbo, so your useable power is going to have a very different curve then the Civic. The RS should have a much broader curve, but we still don't know yet. You should also be thinking about accessible power and the tuning factor you will have with the 2.3. I think 400WHP should be easily attainable with a tune and bolt ons, but again we don't know for sure.

The weight is a huge factor in terms of feel, you can make a cow run but they still don't like to dance. The RS using torque vectoring should have amazing turn in, but I have a feeling you will still feel its weight some what especially compared to like FiST in terms of toss ability ect and your Civic. As far as lateral grip goes 1.24G is pretty good but I could achieve that in my Balt SS on street tires on the street, if you are talking a skid pad that is a whole different story. I'm sure the RS will have no problem matching that number with the Sport Cup2s.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd definitely mark it at 400whp as well. Mustang EcoBoost is in early stages and already making amazing numbers w/ less built engine, smaller turbo, and smaller intercooler.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I when I say usable power, I also look at what the car can put to the ground. The torque from my engine is only 133ft-lbs, but is there from about 2500-6500. My car can spin the 255 hoosiers half way through 3rd, car does have viscous LSD (but that seems to hurt my turn in some since it is alway working). If I re-aligned the car more for drag stipe setup instead of auto-x I could likely put more power down, but drag racing is boring to me so I didn't really want to mess with the alignment over it. The car is fun, have an issue right now with the engine so its fix it (new engine) or get a new car for now. New engine would be an upgrade from the current engine and likely put the car about even with hp/lb with FoRS, and rev a bit higher. But, I want to try something different from FWD for performance driving. At a recent novice school I drove some of the students' cars at their request, one was an STI... I loved it, but don't want an STI. The other an Audi S4, again loved it and again don't want one of them either. I've liked the looks of the ST for awhile and had the car not been FWD I would likely already have one. STs have that Euro feel to me, I'm actually disappointed the door lock switch was moved from the dash. Almost all of the cars I drove in Norway had the switch on the dash.

To me 1G in that 30 years old car is good considering its got macpherson struts in the front and live axle in the back. I actually have heavier t-bars in the garage of it, but not going to install until the engine is race worth again. I with them I hope to get faster in the corners.

As far as the numbers, I used the minimal official word just cause that is minimal guarantee right now.

This is a video of my current car running. I still have lots of room to improve, but alway have fun.

Also, was hoping others would share similar numbers with their cars in the thread.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Meaning no disrespect at all, but if you're looking to buy an RS to autocross it I think you may be looking at the wrong car. You seem to be having a lot of fun with your current car in autocross, and that is awesome. If you were to take it out on Road America or Mid-Ohio, and then take an RS out on the same road coarse, then I think you would have a totally different perspective on the whole equation. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want the RS as daily + Race (now auto-x, later PDX at VIR or such.) No wheel to wheel racing though. The way I see it plenty of over powered heavy cars are being used in auto-x so the RS can too.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Meaning no disrespect at all, but if you're looking to buy an RS to autocross it I think you may be looking at the wrong car. You seem to be having a lot of fun with your current car in autocross, and that is awesome. If you were to take it out on Road America or Mid-Ohio, and then take an RS out on the same road coarse, then I think you would have a totally different perspective on the whole equation. :cool:
I have a funny feeling the RS will do very well at Auto-X with the torque vectoring AWD system. I do think it would be a shame though to only run Auto-X with the RS, and not experience it on a track.

·
Registered
203 Posts
How many will actually track their RS ?

I have a funny feeling the RS will do very well at Auto-X with the torque vectoring AWD system. I do think it would be a shame though to only run Auto-X with the RS, and not experience it on a track.
Crooked Letta, first let me say I like your insight and comments. Do you think most RS owners will track their car?; I don't plan too, I just want a fun fast hatchback. I like my ST but don't like the torque pull or the way it handles power in the corners. I like the way my S2000 handles much better; but VTEC is a different animal unless you are at 5,000 RPM you are pretty much power-less. The S2000 is pretty good at autocrossing if that is your thing. I looking as the RS as a good DD for a old retired guy who still likes to shift and still likes performance. ..and Ford is coming out with 12 new performance cars to attract younger drivers ...well, I am young at heart :p

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Crooked Letta, first let me say I like your insight and comments. Do you think most RS owners will track their car?; I don't plan too, I just want a fun fast hatchback. I like my ST but don't like the torque pull or the way it handles power in the corners. I like the way my S2000 handles much better; but VTEC is a different animal unless you are at 5,000 RPM you are pretty much power-less. The S2000 is pretty good at autocrossing if that is your thing. I looking as the RS as a good DD for a old retired guy who still likes to shift and still likes performance. ..and Ford is coming out with 12 new performance cars to attract younger drivers ...well, I am young at heart :p
Thank you, and I would say I'm very pleased with my ST just too soft for me. I'm also some what immune to TQ steer, I kinda like it actually lol. As far as owners tracking their car is hard to gauge. The RS is an all rounder, with space, economy, easy to drive factor, some may just keep it as their DD. I believe in using the correct tool for the job, and just because the RS will be good on the track does not mean it will be at home there. Fords goal for the RS was to make an amazing drivers car, I don't think any vehicle in its price will be able to match it, seat time will be needed to confirm though. I'm sure we will see a good amount of members track their RS, I'm also sure we will see many who won't. That is the point of the RS though, being an all rounder, good in every area while excelling at driver connection. I am hoping every RS owner will at least explore the limits of the RS on a track or that perfect ribbon of asphalt. Cars like the RS are made to be driven and driven hard. I'm sure any one who drives an ST will see how the character of the vehicle transforms when pushed, from a docile boring cruiser, to a hold on and pay attention fire cracker.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So do I, if the system handles understeer as well as they have said, I think it will be great.

No one else wants to do math?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nowhere did I imply that the RS wouldn't hold it's own in Auto-X. So do Plymouth Neons. :p I agree with you, to purchase an RS to use for parking lot grand prix is, IMO, a waste of all of the Ford engineers hard work. This car was obviously built to be so much more than that.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I drove a Focus ST at the auto-x today for 1 run... I can say a like it. I have heard one guy complain about not seeing cones up close, but I look ahead so much that by the time a cone is that close I'm already going to hit it or I'm going to clear it. From the MR2 in Street class that I ran 5 runs and managed a 66.4 best, in one run in the ST also Street class (not prepped) I ran a 64.? Didn't get written down since I was on an "instructional run". And it was instructional, was about 3 seconds of the guys time that had 5 runs in it. I felt the weight though, I can see the car being a little more "point-shoot-brake" than my current car was, but I liked it. I felt the ABS and think I felt the electronic "torque control", but it felt great. I think I was a about a second off of a prepped ST's time in Street class, that driver is good, but not sure they were driving at their best since the focus of that driver today was learning to drive with the electronics, not against them so at next national event they can place better.

And if my thoughts are correct and the RS is like an ST, just more power and rear wheels assist when the front need it (So like a FWD until you pass the limits of the FWD, then it adds the rear as needed) I think I will be very pleased with the RS.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nowhere did I imply that the RS wouldn't hold it's own in Auto-X. So do Plymouth Neons. :p I agree with you, to purchase an RS to use for parking lot grand prix is, IMO, a waste of all of the Ford engineers hard work. This car was obviously built to be so much more than that.
Missed this reply before. I have a course on flight line 5 minutes from my house for auto-x, long, wide and fast, was well into 3rd gear several times. I run the smaller ones for the club to for the points for annual awards, and have also run auto-x on CMP. I like those larger sites much more. But, one thing I really love about auto-x is the key word "solo". I don't want to race right next to someone, I want to race their "ghost" and attempt to beat their time.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At yesterday's Auto-x I got to drive an Evo 9 in SM class. Owner has been racing the car for years and after the first half of the day I was 0.004 faster than the owner, though it was carrying a cone that he even stated had no real impact on time (just still had a 2 second penalty), he said he didn't even see the car touch the cone, just that if fell over after I went by it. By the end of the day he did get the lead back, but by less than a tenth of a second.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts