Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I installed the Full Race Active Valve Catback this weekend and wanted to share my install pics and my thoughts on the system. Enjoy!

Install

I had to put the car on jack stands to have enough room to work underneath the car. Use proper safety precautions to make sure you're able to work safely here.

Some tools I needed were:

Exhaust pipe cutter
Exhaust hanger remover
4mm Allen Wrench (Installation of Exhaust Valve)
8mm Socket (Removal of Exhaust Valve)
13mm Socket (V Bands)
15mm Socket (Slip fit band)
16mm Socket (Downpipe V Band)

The exhaust arrived with plenty of packaging material and no flaws.

Disconnect the exhaust valve plug

Cut the exhaust in front of the rear axle so that you can remove the axle back portion of the exhaust

Loosen the factory downpipe/catback vband so that you can remove the mid pipe

Remove the catback by disconnecting the catback from the four hangers. There is one at the mid pipe, one at the rear axle, and one for each exhaust outlet.

Once the factory catback is out, remove the exhaust valve by removing the three 8mm nuts holding it in place

Marvel at the new Full Race Exhaust

Install the exhaust valve on the Full Race Exhaust

Install the two slip fit sections of the mid pipe and connect it to the mid pipe hanger to support it

Connect the new mid pipe to the factory downpipe but do not tighten anything yet

Connect the rear driver side muffler section to the driver side muffler hanger and the rear axle hanger

Connect the rear passenger side muffler section to the passenger side muffler hanger

Join the two muffler sections using the supplied vband but do not tighten

Join the mid pipe and rear muffler sections at the rear axle using the supplied vband but do not tighten

Adjust the passenger outlet tip and overall exhaust positioning (not a lot of adjustment needed/available)

Tighten all the connection bands

Connect factory exhaust valve plug

Recheck all connections and prepare to fire her up!

Thoughts

The initial design of this system interested me because of the rear axle configuration. When the valve is open, it is essentially a straight through exhaust. When the valve is closed, the exhaust gasses are routed through a larger diameter resonating chamber and out from the passenger side outlet. The rear muffler section is about 5lbs lighter than the stock but the overall weight of the system is about the same as the factory due to the Full Race mid pipe being a few lbs heavier because of the incorporated resonator.

This exhaust has a deep tone, the two resonators in the Full Race system create a very deep and rich exhaust note.

With the valve closed:
Cold start up is louder but not obnoxious and has a very deep tone. It's the classic import deep exhaust note unlike the factory raspy note. Whereas the stock exhaust was silent inside the cabin, the Full Race exhaust provides a low rumble inside the cabin. At times, it is as quiet as the stock exhaust. There is no excessive annoying drone while cruising around with the valve closed. Using a DB meter, the volume inside the cabin measured ~69 db while cruising with the stock exhaust. With the Full Race exhaust, the volume inside the cabin measured ~72 db. When you apply full throttle, there is a deep and aggressive growl that escalates all the way to redline where you are met with loud booms and crackle that used to be pops and burbles.

With the valve open:
Cold start is again louder but still not obnoxious. There is more exhaust volume at all times. Full open throttle sounds amazing. I want to say it even felt like it pulled harder.

If you want a deep aggressive sound that embodies the race sound, you can't go wrong with this Full Race Exhaust.

Obligatory cold start and rev

Thanks again @Full-Race Geoff for an awesome product!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thanks, @misterchonger !

My only concern that would push me away from this exhaust is that I think it would fail sound check at Laguna Seca in Track mode; it's a pretty strict 90Db. Otherwise it sounds great and fits like a glove with substantially fewer joints than the competition, including my Milltek. Nice write-up.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, @misterchonger !

My only concern that would push me away from this exhaust is that I think it would fail sound check at Laguna Seca in Track mode; it's a pretty strict 90Db. Otherwise it sounds great and fits like a glove with substantially fewer joints than the competition, including my Milltek. Nice write-up.
No problem @DeltaT!

How do they perform the sound check? I have a Db meter and could possibly help simulate the test for you if you ever get curious.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
They have a sound-test shack on the side of the course and test as you drive by. It's a spot where you need to be WOT to get a good laptime. I hear the cars that get the "meatball" flag (generally) for sound and I feel like I'm getting close with the wrapped Milltek in Track mode, but no problems yet.

Reactions: misterchonger

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They have a sound-test shack on the side of the course and test as you drive by. It's a spot where you need to be WOT to get a good laptime. I hear the cars that get the "meatball" flag (generally) for sound and I feel like I'm getting close with the wrapped Milltek in Track mode, but no problems yet.
Ah, ok. I'm going to be attending another AutoX event in early Sept. I'll let you know if I get any grief over the exhaust volume.

·
Registered
42 Posts
in case anyone is interested, we posted 3 more soundclip videos of this exhaust on our site. This is one of the best-received products we've released to date... even some of our pickiest customers came back with great reviews :D

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
in case anyone is interested, we posted 3 more soundclip videos of this exhaust on our site. This is one of the best-received products we've released to date... even some of our pickiest customers came back with great reviews :D
I want to add that the customer support for their products is far better than any company I've dealt with. Geoff goes out of his way to make sure his customers are happy and that his products are quality.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Just installed this same exhaust last week. I'll post a few more install pics up when I have a chance to edit and host them. Great system and very happy with it!

I also paired with the AWE SwitchPath remote to control the valve myself.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just installed this same exhaust last week. I'll post a few more install pics up when I have a chance to edit and host them. Great system and very happy with it!

I also paired with the AWE SwitchPath remote to control the valve myself.

Hey there, do you have a part# for this AWE remote or web link?

From the video posted here from the OP & Full-Race's site https://www.full-race.com/store/ecoboost/focus-rs/2016-focus-rs-3-active-valve-catback-exhaust/

Definitely now at the top of my list for exhaust options.....

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey there, do you have a part# for this AWE remote or web link?

From the video posted here from the OP & Full-Race's site https://www.full-race.com/store/ecoboost/focus-rs/2016-focus-rs-3-active-valve-catback-exhaust/

Definitely now at the top of my list for exhaust options.....
I do!

The part number is:1325-11012 which is the same as the European applications. I ordered mine from Uro Tuning since they were offering the biggest % off in line with the holiday special by AWE. Other vendors on this site had the controller, but would not honor AWE's holiday special so they didn't get my business.

AWE Tuning SwitchPath Remote for Mk7 Golf R | S3 - 1325-11012

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
That the exhaust I really wanted but it necks down to meet the stock downpipe. So if you have a aftermarket downpipe it's still only gonna be necked down to stock size at that connection. Not really what you want when looking for power.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ah, ok. I'm going to be attending another AutoX event in early Sept. I'll let you know if I get any grief over the exhaust volume.
So, misterchonger, did you get any grief at the auto-x? Also, do you or anyone else have any before/after dyno numbers for this system? It looks nice and sounds cool, but I would like to know what performance advantage I might expect before I consider purchasing an exhaust system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts