Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is some information that Ford seems to be keeping close to the vest for whatever reason, but I am guessing this information will be available before the end of the month.

I'm predicting 23/36 for combined of 29mpg or 24/35 for a combined of 29mpg

Weight looks to be around a disappointing 3470 pounds ... a bit of a porker (but still 50 pounds less than the Mustang Ecoboost), I was hoping for the 3300 pound range. Looks like I will owe Nachtsturm a beer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is some information that Ford seems to be keeping close to the vest for whatever reason, but I am guessing this information will be available before the end of the month.

Weight looks to be around a disappointing 3470 pounds ... a bit of a porker (but still 50 pounds less than the Mustang Ecoboost), I was hoping for the 3300 pound range. Looks like I will owe Nachtsturm a beer.
I tried telling you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,389 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I agree with @MidCow3 and their guesstimate.

Although I was really hoping the fuel mileage would be higher.

My current DD weighs 4400 lbs., has a 4.0 liter twin turbo V8 (with cylinder deactivation) and gets 17/27/20 mpg. I thought a car that weighs nearly 1000 lbs less and is slower would be able to improve upon mpgs more than this.

For the record, that pig I referenced above does 0-60 in 4 flat and 12.2 in the quarter bone stock.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're probably right, ugh!

Here is based on my most accurate predictions using my engineering/ analytical skills, IMO (based on actual European and comparing ST USA EPA to ST European)

the prediction of MPG 3 mpg across the from ST with a 1 mpg city bump for start/stop

CHECK LATER AND YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT THESE PREDICTIONS

city mpg........ = 21
highway mpg.. =29
combined mpg =23

21/29/23

Cheers YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Here is based on my most accurate predictions using my engineering/ analytical skills, IMO (based on actual European and comparing ST USA EPA to ST European)

the prediction of MPG 3 mpg across the from ST with a 1 mpg city bump for start/stop

city mpg........ = 21
highway mpg.. =29
combined mpg =23

21/29/23

Cheers YMMV,

MidCow3
I think highway will be much better, 32 maybe. City maybe you're close. But real world driving my st is around 23 average, even less in the winter. I'd have to guess 18 mpg In the rs wont be too bad in the real world, not epa world

·
Registered
85 Posts

city mpg........ = 21
highway mpg.. =29
combined mpg =23

21/29/23

Cheers YMMV,

MidCow3
Seconded. The highway rating might bump 30mpg, but that's the highest I could see it going.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ecoboost Mustang Example:

EPA city/highway driving: 22/31 mpg
Curb weight: 3657 lb

I bet the RS will be close to those MPG numbers given that it's about 200lbs lighter, but with 50 more HP.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi gte, I hope you're right. The other predictions are in line with my massively inefficient and less powerful 2014 STi. Out of curiosity, what's behind your end of month prediction for numbers from Ford? Has that been announced anywhere? 3500 lbs, ooooffff. RS will need to go on a diet immediately after birth....

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
It was reported in an earlier thread that curb weight for the FoRS was 1575kg or 3465lbs.

With this said, I'd be disappointed if the numbers were decreased or not on par with the Mustang EB figures given the weight reduction and the ramped up FoRS performance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It was reported in an earlier thread that curb weight for the FoRS was 1575kg or 3465lbs.

With this said, I'd be disappointed if the numbers were decreased or not on par with the Mustang EB figures given the weight reduction and the ramped up FoRS performance.
More boost + AWD isn't going to help. Gear ratios will also be a factor. If the Focus RS has the same gearing as the ST, it's going to have shorter 6th gear than the EB Mustang with either final drive.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because numbers are going to have to come out soon, they start building them in January and numbers are becoming readily available for the other markets. It's just a guess.

Hi gte, I hope you're right. The other predictions are in line with my massively inefficient and less powerful 2014 STi. Out of curiosity, what's behind your end of month prediction for numbers from Ford? Has that been announced anywhere? 3500 lbs, ooooffff. RS will need to go on a diet immediately after birth....

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm secretly hoping it's like my 1.0 fiesta where I smashed their epa estimates. I know that isn't common but you know haha.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You definitely owe me a beer. No domestic please. A Weihenstephaner Vitus will do just fine. :)

I am guessing 22 city 29 highway, maybe they will rate it at 30 highway. Can't see it being any higher.

If I avg 20mpg, I will be okay with that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If I can get better than my Ralliart i'll be happy.. If i get close to my 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS (29mpg average), would be nice but not expected ;p

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get 25 combined on my turbo Corolla (tuned by me) that has about the same horsepower. I figure Ford could do better than me considering the resources at their disposal vs the resources at my disposal.

You definitely owe me a beer. No domestic please. A Weihenstephaner Vitus will do just fine. :)

I am guessing 22 city 29 highway, maybe they will rate it at 30 highway. Can't see it being any higher.

If I avg 20mpg, I will be okay with that.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
MPG is DEFINITELY going to be better than my Raptor... I'm happy. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts