Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all, this is to tell you that my mechanics finally change the low pressure fuel pump located in the tank and that all the problem related to the fuel cut when low fuel, the whistle coming from the intake and turbo not spooling very well is now over ! I notice the stop start is working properly too ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all, this is to tell you that my mechanics finally change the low pressure fuel pump located in the tank and that all the problem related to the fuel cut when low fuel, the whistle coming from the intake and turbo not spooling very well is now over ! I notice the stop start is working properly too ?
By the way I paid for the parts Ford did not want to change it under warranty. But this part is not over yet since the pump is about 500 chf for me !

·
Registered
7 Posts
By the way I paid for the parts Ford did not want to change it under warranty. But this part is not over yet since the pump is about 500 chf for me !
Regarding the technical part... the fuel pump inside the thank is actually 2 fuel pump assembly one is for the high fuel and the other is for the low fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey how did this go with Ford? Did they cover this under warranty?

I hope they did. Mine is still not resolved which is ridiculous. My auto start stop feature doesnt work either, I had no idea it might be related

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Having a similar issue with mine lately, with a certain tune in it, I need to top the tank right up as suggested in here and see if that makes any difference.
If I flash the factory tune back on it doesn't seem to do it but......?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having a similar issue with mine lately, with a certain tune in it, I need to top the tank right up as suggested in here and see if that makes any difference.
If I flash the factory tune back on it doesn't seem to do it but......?
not sure but most likely the tune will require more fuel flow so the pump might need to work harder than normal. That combined with some lower level of fuel in the tank might lead to fuel cut like behavior. I heard the newer OEM pumps are somewhat revised relative to early models and solves the issue with low fuel level cuts. Otherwise some high performance aftermarket pumps?!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nope, turns out it was the RPM setting for the FFS.
Set that higher on the AP and problem solved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard the newer OEM pumps are somewhat revised relative to early models and solves the issue with low fuel level cuts.
If this is true then there should be no question to replace it under warranty. It was a few months ago now, but I even showed them the revised part number and they managed to convince me it didn't mean anything.

(Still hasn't been fixed but that's on me for being lazy and not pursuing it.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think I'm having the exact same problem. Went to the Nurburgring today, and after almost every hard right corner, the engine had power cuts. Look at this vid: Focus RS Engine Hick Ups

You guys are saying it's the fuel pump?
Had exactly the same issue on my 2016 model, right hand corners only, I did nothing else but keep the fuel tank full or at least above half mark when driving hard and it did not come back since. could be the pump is not perfect, either design fault or you name it but as I mentioned I managed to reduce this behavior if driving with plenty of fuel in the tank... Might be a confounder but worth a try. on the other hand your fuel gauge shows 3/4 full.... Somebody else changed the whole pump assembly in the tank and he said that fixed it. Annoying thing is there was no error in the car computer or any other indication relating to this and of course the dealer said all is fine since that is how they test, laptop on and see what reads. I did not drive mine on Nurburgring yet but if it will start doing this again I would probably invest in a high performance pump asap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Went to my dealership yesterday. Unfortunately they could not fix this problem for me, since the car behaves normal on public roads and the only way to generate the fuel cuts is to drive irresponsible. The problem is not recognized by Ford HQ, so it's an easy way to tell me: you're screwed.

Now I either gotta find an after market pump or surge tank, or sell the whole car. It's not worth the RS label if it can't go full throttle after 50% of the corners...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Probably a new OEM pump assembly would fix it, no need for aftermarket one. Also I was thinking to reach out to Mebu dealer in NL if it happens again with mine as they seem to know a thing or two about fast fords. Maybe good to reach out to them if you're in NL?! Hope that helps as the car really is a keeper. Is epic. Pitty something like this to make you sell it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Went to my dealership yesterday. Unfortunately they could not fix this problem for me, since the car behaves normal on public roads and the only way to generate the fuel cuts is to drive irresponsible. The problem is not recognized by Ford HQ, so it's an easy way to tell me: you're screwed.

Now I either gotta find an after market pump or surge tank, or sell the whole car. It's not worth the RS label if it can't go full throttle after 50% of the corners...
And for correct reference here is Mebu webpage. Autosport Mebu - Uw partner in Performance & Styling upgrades...!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Probably a new OEM pump assembly would fix it, no need for aftermarket one. Also I was thinking to reach out to Mebu dealer in NL if it happens again with mine as they seem to know a thing or two about fast fords. Maybe good to reach out to them if you're in NL?! Hope that helps as the car really is a keeper. Is epic. Pitty something like this to make you sell it...
I asked the dealer if they could give me a guaranty a new OEM pump would last longer than 20.000 km. They couldn't give me that... I rather sell the car then spend, I don't know, 1k euro's every year for a new pump.

It's such an annoying problem. I see so many people having the exact same problem, but nobody has a definitive solution, although lot's of people have fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I'm having the problem AGAIN.
I had it last year. After a long search the dealer replaced the fuel line (that's what they told me).
But now I'm having the issue again, so they are going to replace the part again...

Video:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Hi,

I'm having the problem AGAIN.
I had it last year. After a long search the dealer replaced the fuel line (that's what they told me).
But now I'm having the issue again, so they are going to replace the part again...

Video:
Try the low pressure pump yet?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts