Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Happy days.... yesterday the dealership replaced the fuelpump under waranty and the first the first moment i pushed the throttle i noticed that the car responded completely different than before. The power delivery was way more linear. Normally i experienced a short surg before the boost came in. I did take a couple of corners, where it normally stutters, and no more stuttering at all?! I'm pretty safe to say, let's say 90%, that it has solved my problem. At least it's way better than before. Why not 100%? Because currently the tank is full and normally the stuttering gets worse when the fuellevel gets lower. But for now i'm pretty pleased. Fingers crossed... ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks like you're indeed experiencing the same issue. My ford dealership (located in the Netherlands) has dropped a question regarding this issue in at the dealers-network and still no answer from the experts. Only one identical issue seems to have been reported (within Netherlands) and this one is also still unanswered. I still suspect the fuel pump is not able to get the proper amount of fuel under these circumstances (full throttle while under higher g-forces). This is based on what I've read on the fora regarding several other guys who experienced the same behavior, but with a quarter or less petrol in the tank.
I have same issue with my RS and the dealer cannot replicate it or read any computer error codes when they check. Seems to link to post HG work being done!? I had this issue also in straight line 1st gear at spirited start but mostly on right hand corners when pushing it a bit (not WOT necessarily). Another situation is it starts cutting power abruptly on a corner and then if I insist pushing it it does it also in the straight line following the corner. So without the initial G forces. Not sure if a fuel pump would behave like this or maybe something triggers it on corner and continues misbehaving afterwards until i take it slow for a bit. I personally asked the dealer to change the flywheel + complete clutch assembly thinking I have a bad (dual mass) flywheel that starts to give up when under load from differentials on corners but still does it after the new clutch and flywheel are in. growing tired of this...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks like you're indeed experiencing the same issue. My ford dealership (located in the Netherlands) has dropped a question regarding this issue in at the dealers-network and still no answer from the experts. Only one identical issue seems to have been reported (within Netherlands) and this one is also still unanswered. I still suspect the fuel pump is not able to get the proper amount of fuel under these circumstances (full throttle while under higher g-forces). This is based on what I've read on the fora regarding several other guys who experienced the same behavior, but with a quarter or less petrol in the tank.
I have same issue with my RS and the dealer cannot replicate it or read any computer error codes when they check. Seems to link to post HG work being done!? I had this issue also in straight line 1st gear at spirited start but mostly on right hand corners when pushing it a bit (not WOT necessarily). Another situation is it starts cutting power abruptly on a corner and then if I insist pushing it it does it also in the straight line following the corner. So without the initial G forces. Not sure if a fuel pump would behave like this or maybe something triggers it on corner and continues misbehaving afterwards until i take it slow for a bit. I personally asked the dealer to change the flywheel + complete clutch assembly thinking I have a bad (dual mass) flywheel that starts to give up when under load from differentials on corners but still does it after the new clutch and flywheel are in. growing tired of this...
And by the way last time it happened I had more then quarter if tank full.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Happy days.... yesterday the dealership replaced the fuelpump under waranty and the first the first moment i pushed the throttle i noticed that the car responded completely different than before. The power delivery was way more linear. Normally i experienced a short surg before the boost came in. I did take a couple of corners, where it normally stutters, and no more stuttering at all?! I'm pretty safe to say, let's say 90%, that it has solved my problem. At least it's way better than before. Why not 100%? Because currently the tank is full and normally the stuttering gets worse when the fuellevel gets lower. But for now i'm pretty pleased. Fingers crossed... ?
thanks for update. please keep us posted if this really worked on longer run as I am intending to replace mine as well and also in NL dealership. :unsure:

·
Registered
18 Posts
thanks for update. please keep us posted if this really worked on longer run as I am intending to replace mine as well and also in NL dealership. :unsure:
I've been driving the wheels of my RS but has never hesitated ever since (not even with low fuel level). I still don't know what was wrong with the pump though. But the most important thing is that the issue has been sorted out :) Hopefully you get yours fixed soon also, because it can spoil the fun quite a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been driving the wheels of my RS but has never hesitated ever since (not even with low fuel level). I still don't know what was wrong with the pump though. But the most important thing is that the issue has been sorted out :) Hopefully you get yours fixed soon also, because it can spoil the fun quite a bit.
Awesome! I kept mine with a decent amount of fuel in the tank (1/2 or more) and no issues anymore. Mine is a 2016 example so maybe fuel pumps were prone to suck in air on low fuel on early models?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello I got the same problem for de past 6 months! Could anyone tell me which pump was change ?? The high pressure one or the one in the fuel tank. Many thanks for any reply ?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Reactions: Tudor80

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Thanks a lot, I will update the form as soon my car will get the in fuel tank change!
No promises, but it's a start. You can keep an eye on your HPFP and LPFP pressures, maybe one of them or the HPFP pressure sensor is bad. the HPFP sensor would be way easier to change than the in-tank fuel pump, but if you're still in warranty or adventurous give it a go and let us know how it worked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No promises, but it's a start. You can keep an eye on your HPFP and LPFP pressures, maybe one of them or the HPFP pressure sensor is bad. the HPFP sensor would be way easier to change than the in-tank fuel pump, but if you're still in warranty or adventurous give it a go and let us know how it worked.
Hello, many thanks for the information regarding the pressure sensors! I did have many times the test done... and everything time the same results with above the limit set by Ford. The car is stock, 2 years old and 20 thousand km other than that I had a broken spark plug, many misfires at high rpm! By the I gave the parts number for fuel pump assembly it should be changed under then warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem. Power loss in or after a hard right, and mashing on the gas. My car has been at the dealership for the past five weeks. The tech showed me the logs which showed that the delivered fuel pressure on the low pressure side was below the requested pressure, and this was followed by a hard cut in the high pressure pump. They have checked the wiring, and it's ok. I suspect that it is a false signal from the pressure sensor causing the high pressure fuel pump to cut out, but I'm not a mechanic. I want my car back. I'll let you all know the outcome of this. The fuel pump and pressure sender are getting replaced next week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my case the pump in the fuel tank has been replaced.
Hello I got the same problem for de past 6 months! Could anyone tell me which pump was change ?? The high pressure one or the one in the fuel tank. Many thanks for any reply ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those tests weren't showing any errors/flaws whatsoever in my case either. Hopefully they will decide to replace yours too, because
for my RS it made all the difference. I never experienced any signs of stuttering / cutting ever since.
And still waiting for Ford approval to do the work and change the fuel pump after 1000 tests done to the car ☹

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all, thank you for this thread.

I experienced the fuel cut once about 2 months ago with fuel level at 3/4 so I did not attribute it to fuel starvation. When it happened twice more I stopped by the Ford dealer. More troubleshooting by both myself and the dealer found the connection to fuel level. The Ford dealer did their own tests, to no avail. They contacted their Ford technical support line, and I don't know exactly what they said, but the dealer paraphrased that this is normal activity when the fuel level is < 1/2, due to the saddle in the middle of the tank.

I don't accept this explanation, so I went back to the dealer today, (who haven't solved the issue but have been providing great service) and we're essentially back to square 1(.5) - they want me to get the fuel level low again and they will take another look.

Now, it looks like both walravenm and Space Coyote have replaced the same part (Looks like the sender is part of the full pump assembly) and it fixed the issue!

Can either of you give me any other details on how you got your dealer to replace the fuel pump/sender (assuming it was under warranty)? Did you have a similar experience as me? Is there an original part with a different part number that has now been upgraded? I just don't want to go back with examples from the internet.

Any details you can give on your experience would be helpful!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dealership made a mistake and were under the impression that mine was still within warranty, but turned out it was already out of warranty for a while (mine is also from 2016).
Now they presented me the bill (680 Euro)?! They told me that they have already given me 20% discount, but that doesn't really cut it for me (due to the fact that they came up with the whole idea of replacing the pump and made an administrative mistake). I haven't seen any partnr yet, but will post it here when i do.

p.s. I would also like know if the later RS models have been equipped with a revised version of the fuel pump / fuel sender assembly

I experienced the fuel cut once about 2 months ago with fuel level at 3/4 so I did not attribute it to fuel starvation. When it happened twice more I stopped by the Ford dealer. More troubleshooting by both myself and the dealer found the connection to fuel level. The Ford dealer did their own tests, to no avail. They contacted their Ford technical support line, and I don't know exactly what they said, but the dealer paraphrased that this is normal activity when the fuel level is < 1/2, due to the saddle in the middle of the tank.

I don't accept this explanation, so I went back to the dealer today, (who haven't solved the issue but have been providing great service) and we're essentially back to square 1(.5) - they want me to get the fuel level low again and they will take another look.

Now, it looks like both walravenm and Space Coyote have replaced the same part (Looks like the sender is part of the full pump assembly) and it fixed the issue!

Can either of you give me any other details on how you got your dealer to replace the fuel pump/sender (assuming it was under warranty)? Did you have a similar experience as me? Is there an original part with a different part number that has now been upgraded? I just don't want to go back with examples from the internet.

). To be continued....

·
Registered
5 Posts
(due to the fact that they came up with the whole idea of replacing the pump and made an administrative mistake)
Sorry about that, friend. Logically if they offered the service under the impression that it would be covered, asking you to pay for it would be nonsense. They essentially quoted you $0 and then charged you more. Hope it works out for you.

Can you share any of your documents so far? I have been unsuccessful in getting them to replace my fuel pump and would love to show them something from a Ford dealer that says "Replacing X part solved Y problem"

21 - 40 of 57 Posts