Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so on the way home with the car well warmed i took the back route. Hit a corner WOT in second or third gear, on the corner exit (i think, not 100% sure if car was straight or not at that point) and probably north of 4.5K RPM, there was a hard jerk. Hard enough that my chest slammed the seatbelt. (EDIT: or maybe the seatbelt slammed my chest?... collision pre-tightening maybe???)

Sooo.... wtf. There happened to be another corner coming up, so i put the car in sport mode and tried that corner, this time a left hand turn.... same thing. I turned the car around and went back through the chicane, turned around, and put the car into track mode. dynamic stability control is off at this point, or whatever track mode does to that anyhow, and tried the corner.... same hard jerk at the exit of the corner.

Is this fuel cut due to sloshing? surely it's not, i have more than half a tank of gas... and i'd hope ford did a well baffled design on the tank.
No CEL's during or after fyi.

I did recently have the HG work done, and part of that service visit was they did the PCM update. (i was getting AWD mode selection not available once a week at least before, haven't got it since)

Anyone got any ideas?

I mean, yes, i'll be taking it to the dealer i guess. Would like to be less than clueless about it though before i go in.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Hey all, so on the way home with the car well warmed i took the back route. Hit a corner WOT in second or third gear, on the corner exit (i think, not 100% sure if car was straight or not at that point) and probably north of 4.5K RPM, there was a hard jerk. Hard enough that my chest slammed the seatbelt. (EDIT: or maybe the seatbelt slammed my chest?... collision pre-tightening maybe???)

Sooo.... wtf. There happened to be another corner coming up, so i put the car in sport mode and tried that corner, this time a left hand turn.... same thing. I turned the car around and went back through the chicane, turned around, and put the car into track mode. dynamic stability control is off at this point, or whatever track mode does to that anyhow, and tried the corner.... same hard jerk at the exit of the corner.

Is this fuel cut due to sloshing? surely it's not, i have more than half a tank of gas... and i'd hope ford did a well baffled design on the tank.
No CEL's during or after fyi.

I did recently have the HG work done, and part of that service visit was they did the PCM update. (i was getting AWD mode selection not available once a week at least before, haven't got it since)

Anyone got any ideas?

I mean, yes, i'll be taking it to the dealer i guess. Would like to be less than clueless about it though before i go in.
Underhood connection loose that is effected by hard cornering?

Ciao

·
Registered
555 Posts
I know mine will cut out on track days ( hard corners ) if the fuel is below a quarter. but that's the only time it happened. :driving:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I experience the exact same issue. It cuts of the power while accelerating with throttle flat out. But only when accelerating out of a corner. Feels like some kind of limiter, but no warning lights on the dash or whatoever. Were you able to trace down and solve your issue?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know mine will cut out on track days ( hard corners ) if the fuel is below a quarter. but that's the only time it happened. :driving:
Mine also does this with a full tank. I also replaced the fuel filter, just to be sure, but problem remains... :mad-new:

·
Registered
457 Posts
My guess is normal, intrusive intervention by the driving nanny. I thankfully only had to deal with a single autox event where I couldn't change drive modes or defeat traction control & stability control, but the effects of Normal mode intrusion felt rather harsh to me. I don't generally hoon like that on the street, but on the rare occasion I can tell I'm not solely in control around town the intervention is abrupt and jarring there too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Check your oil level. When I track my other car, if the oil is too low the car will cut fuel mid-corner if pulling too hard G’s. Need to get around to putting a baffle in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check your oil level. When I track my other car, if the oil is too low the car will cut fuel mid-corner if pulling too hard G’s. Need to get around to putting a baffle in.
My oil level is spot on, so i guess that this cohldnt be the bugger in my case. Thanks for thinking along!

·
Registered
17 Posts
My guess is normal, intrusive intervention by the driving nanny. I thankfully only had to deal with a single autox event where I couldn't change drive modes or defeat traction control & stability control, but the effects of Normal mode intrusion felt rather harsh to me. I don't generally hoon like that on the street, but on the rare occasion I can tell I'm not solely in control around town the intervention is abrupt and jarring there too.
I hope you're wrong about the "normal behavior" because its realy a harsh sensation. It's interupts is kinda like how the rev limiter on launchcontrol kicks in....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will drop the rs at the dealer again next thursday. They will measure the pressure of the fuelpump. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the headsup guys!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recorded a vid while driving. A bit shaky but it was the best i could do. FYI... i have no tpms sensors installed and therefor the warning is always on...

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
I had this issue a few times on a long big radius 270deg highway ramp I take everyday.

When the path is clear I’ll take it at 110-120km/h and get that fuek cut feeling near the end of the curve.

Happened to be low on fuel each time so always attributed it to low fuel.

Curious what will come out of this thread! As mentionned previously the cut is brutal!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had this issue a few times on a long big radius 270deg highway ramp I take everyday.

When the path is clear I’ll take it at 110-120km/h and get that fuek cut feeling near the end of the curve.

Happened to be low on fuel each time so always attributed it to low fuel.

Curious what will come out of this thread! As mentionned previously the cut is brutal!!
Looks like you're indeed experiencing the same issue. My ford dealership (located in the Netherlands) has dropped a question regarding this issue in at the dealers-network and still no answer from the experts. Only one identical issue seems to have been reported (within Netherlands) and this one is also still unanswered. I still suspect the fuel pump is not able to get the proper amount of fuel under these circumstances (full throttle while under higher g-forces). This is based on what I've read on the fora regarding several other guys who experienced the same behavior, but with a quarter or less petrol in the tank.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Must have to do with the amount of time under which those forces apply.

Almost ran out of fuel on track and never had the issue on the track though. But turns didnt last near as long!

I guess that would support this theory though!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That could possibly be a factor yes. Although, in my situation it sometimes does this during tiny 90 degree turns (2nd gear). But when it does, mostly the fuel is near or around 1/4. I was thinking about buying one of these RADIUM fuel-filters. This could result in a better fuel flow? Maybe just enough to solve the issue. It's worth a try i guess....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Result Fuel pressure test

This morning they did a high and low "fuel pressure test" and all seems to be within the normal/acceptable ranges. I thought that they would do a "old fashioned" pressure test with hoses and all, but hey....
The mechanic told me that it sounds/looks like a software related issue and might needs to be re-written? My dealer will try and put some pressure on it, so that the "ford performance department"
might give any attention to this. Did you guys also went to the dealership and officially reported this issue? The more complaints... the higher priority it might be getting ;)
At this point I must admit that it really starts to annoy me quite a lot! It's getting to the stage that i'm thinking about.... selling it! :mad-new::mad-new::mad-new:
I'd really hate to see it go because I really love the handling/power/sound/looks of this car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts