Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quick necro-bump since I'm running into a similar issue now.

I'm currently trying to take my KW DDC dampers off my ground control camber plates and running into the same issue. Unlike the OEM top hat, the GC camber plates do not have the flats/oval that prevents the shaft from spinning. Also, I've used blue loctite per GC's recommendation since I've had the top nut come loose over time, but now that I want to service them, I'm having a bit of trouble getting it off.

I used one of these for the install: Schwaben Shock Nut Socket, 17mm, 1/2" Drive - PelicanParts.com

First I tried compressing the spring just enough to exposed some of the top shaft so I can get a strap wrench around it, but it just slips. Also tried a piece of rubber pad and clamped down on it with some channel locks, but again, same issue.

I also tried hitting it with an impact driver, but I just end up spinning the shaft after a couple of taps and just end up whipping myself with the cable lol.

Any other suggestions?
IIRC, the tops of the struts aren't exposed enough to grab onto with a wrench/crow's foot, right?

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Would any of these work:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Ya, unfortunately it's pretty buried in there
The gold standard method is a shaft clamp which is a split aluminium block with a shaft dia hole through the middle. You put the halves around the shaft and then clamp the block to to hold the shaft without damaging it. You could try a strip of 2mm thick aluminium sheet metal bent around the shock shaft and then gripped with vice grips. use it at the top of the shaft where the seals dont reach just in case. Also apply heat the the nut to release the blue loctite and hit with the rattle gun.
Those rubber strap wrenches are useless rubbish. A strap wrench needs to have a leather or a flexible composite strap.

Ciao

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't think this is the issue he's facing. While he can use one of these sockets (which I believe @BigFatFlip already has since that's what he used to install them), the problem is when he uses these with his impact, the whole strut assembly spins. He needs something to hold the strut to keep it from spinning while he tries to bust the top nut loose. Here's what the top of the strut looks like:

Here's the top of the rear for a clearer shot:

So the problem is that top portion is so recessed inside the top nut holding camber plate on, he can't grip it with anything.

Reactions: BigFatFlip

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The gold standard method is a shaft clamp which is a split aluminium block with a shaft dia hole through the middle. You put the halves around the shaft and then clamp the block to to hold the shaft without damaging it. You could try a strip of 2mm thick aluminium sheet metal bent around the shock shaft and then gripped with vice grips. use it at the top of the shaft where the seals dont reach just in case. Also apply heat the the nut to release the blue loctite and hit with the rattle gun.
Thanks for the tip. I'll measure the shaft tmrw and see if I can find any shaft clamps at the auto parts store that are close in size. It'll at least give me something else to grab on to.

Also, hitting it with a torch was my initial plan to release the loctite, but I was a bit hesitant since it is so close to the wire, I'm worried I might melt or damage it. These dampers are not cheap...

So the problem is that top portion is so recessed inside the top nut holding camber plate on, he can't grip it with anything.
^Exactly!

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Ahhhhh, I got you now.

Good luck tomorrow.

I'm going to help my nephew install his fortune 500 suspension on his Mazdaspeed 6 tomorrow. And he wants his friend to "help".

Fun times 😭

21 - 27 of 27 Posts