Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp, looks like I may have the dreaded post-HG front cover leak. The local dealership has had the car now for 4 days and no official resolution yet. Car has 6700 miles and the HG was done ~2 years ago now (prior to me purchasing it new). Not sure how long it has been leaking, but judging by the amount of oil on the skid plate and on the underside of the car, it has been awhile. Last time I was under the car was around mid-April, and it was dry at that point. Oil level wasn't low at all though, thankfully.

So how many of us have seen this issue and how often is it corrected the first time? Has it been an ongoing issue for anyone, requiring multiple trips to the shop? It really makes me worry about the long term implications of the HG recall and whether I'm going to have to worry about leaks like this for as long as I have the car.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Well, at least you had the skid plate that made it evident that you had a leak and not the sponge-like stock one. I happily drove around for 5k+ mi before I found mine while doing an oil change. Leak left a huge dark greasy spot on the OEM undertray but no evidence of it on the outside. Took mine to a different dealer and they sorted me out (took a couple of days and got another rental)

I believe the HG install instructions have since been updated, so the dealer should know how to do it correctly this time around.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great news! Dealership says the RS needs a NEW HEAD!!!!

?

I'm worried this is going to be one of those ongoing issues, which is really great since the RS is my DD.

·
Registered
403 Posts
JoeDirt - I feel your pain! Had the HG recall done last year but at the beginning of this summer I noticed oil residue on engine. Was in shop for weeks and finally got a new head. Did 150 miles on it (without the undertray on because I wanted to be able to quickly check for leaks) and noticed more oil on engine. They had the car for several more weeks for a new front cover install (work order says the one on the car was warped). The car was in the shop for 6 weeks out of an 8 week period and has less than 10k miles. I am the original owner but I am honestly sick of dealing with this sort of stuff. I have no faith in it's long term reliability so the car is getting sold.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I think the dealer screwed up mine also, problem is I got a catch can installed and I believe they will just blame that as the cause and void my whole 150K warranty

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I just found a puddle under my car. I have to check if it’s oil or not. I park on the street so possibly it’s not mine, but I park there 99.95% of the time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Whelp, looks like I may have the dreaded post-HG front cover leak. The local dealership has had the car now for 4 days and no official resolution yet. Car has 6700 miles and the HG was done ~2 years ago now (prior to me purchasing it new). Not sure how long it has been leaking, but judging by the amount of oil on the skid plate and on the underside of the car, it has been awhile. Last time I was under the car was around mid-April, and it was dry at that point. Oil level wasn't low at all though, thankfully.

So how many of us have seen this issue and how often is it corrected the first time? Has it been an ongoing issue for anyone, requiring multiple trips to the shop? It really makes me worry about the long term implications of the HG recall and whether I'm going to have to worry about leaks like this for as long as I have the car.

I just had mine fixed aka front cover and stuffs changed. They replaced the whole thing. Drove for about two weeks, today decided to go under to check since I noticed a coolant level dropped as well as oil. As soon as I removed the undertray the oil pool oozes out. Welp. Gonna sell it if this doesn't go anywhere.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I had/have the Front Cover Leak on my car.
I took it to the dealer and told them it was leaking from the front cover and not from the Banjo Bolt Oil feed line.

They had for a week and claimed that it was done. It was my understanding that they would have to open the engine up and take off the head to fix the leak.

I got under the car to check if I still have the leak...Found oil, but i'm not sure if it was from before and they just didn't clean it up.
I was using Rhino Ramps which don't really get the car up that high and wasn't able to clean it well.
Next week I will lift it up on Jack Stands and clean the engine well. Then I'll monitor it and see if the leak is still there.

While i was under the car I did take a couple videos to show them what ive found...

I thought I had found a crack on the block...but when I cleaned some of the oil it was gone...
Here are some videos...I was able to stick my phone is some tight areas...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
You know looking at the image with the red circle I'm not entirely sure I'd be too happy about that. It also looks like at that exact point I can see a piece of what looks like shim material between the block face and the front timing cover face which shouldn't be there? ( is that a web on the timing cover) It may just bee the image and magnification but if it were mine I'd be investigating further. I keep a dye check kit in my workshop for these situations. They are cheap to buy.

Ciao

·
Registered
494 Posts
Going through this whole 5hitfight myself as we speak, I've sent them the SSM and other info pertaining to this (thanks Phil) and demanded it be done PROPERLY this time no half ar5e jobs cause I'm over it.
Goes in Monday coming, hopefully the don't fark it on me, which I'm expecting.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So I was able to get under the car today.
Cleaned up the engine as best as I could...got a few cuts and scrapes jamming my hand up there as far as I could.
Here is the result

I added engine oil dye and will check it out in a week or so to see if its still leaking...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Can't see much oil in that video?
This is mine below, you can clearly see oil up higher than banjo bolt
20200414_162231.jpg

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just dropped mine to the dealer now, fingers crossed it fixed this time around
20200414_161804.jpg
This is where my leaked oil ends up....

·
Registered
116 Posts
In the last video I had just finished cleaning the block as best I could. Thats why you dont see much oil.
I added engine oil dye (1oz).
Ill check it again midweek to see where the oil is seeping from.
If it stays dry, Ill probably will check it again the following week before I determine the leak is gone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you got the time, you may see something mid-week, but usually it takes longer, a week+ like you said, unless its a drastic leak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts