Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anyone else noticed their front brakes freezing when it is cold and wet out? Only happens to me at freeway speeds when it is wet out and the temperature is somewhere between 25-40 degrees. I have plugged the front vent ducts and still running into freezing problems. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Freezing? No, and I'm also in Washington. I heard there is an flash ABS module update for the brakes though (Ford SSM 47688), as there is a possible issue when they are cold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I think it may be because it gets a bit colder on the East side of the state. It seems like it may be a problem just in this climate. I will have to check out the flash upgrade. However, I have verified this winter and last that it is for sure a freezing problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The tech, Jessica Livernois over on the facebook RS enthusiast page posted up the ABS update. Not sure if she is on here. Apparently it makes the brakes modulate a bit more when they haven't been used in a while and get cold and wet while driving so you don't have the initial feel of no brakes. It's also apparently does not work with the drift stick right now, so hopefully they upgrade that flash as well, or I won't do it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi all, has anyone else noticed their front brakes freezing when it is cold and wet out? Only happens to me at freeway speeds when it is wet out and the temperature is somewhere between 25-40 degrees. I have plugged the front vent ducts and still running into freezing problems. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Most of the discussion on this problem is under a thread title "Hard Brake Pedal".
There are a couple of theories on the source of this issue.
I believe that water on the rotors from the cooling fins attached to the lower control arms are part of the problem. The stock brake pads are also partially to blame, terrible cold and wet. A couple of us have reported better cold wet braking with the EBC Yellowstuff pads.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yeah I’ve had that issue lots of times. Usually winter or hard rain, on the highway where I haven’t touched the brakes for over an hour. Go to start braking for an off ramp from 130 and your pedal goes down and almost doesn’t brake at all until the rotors heat up, push away all the accumulated moisture and then grab like a mofo

Completely different issue than the ABS lock-up and has been discussed before. I believe things like plugging the brake ducting and removing the air baffle on the control arm help a bit

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Looks like @ilDiavel already covered all that I was thinking to mention. May be a little while for Ford Performance to release an updated file for the Drift Stick (DS) Flash. Really wish that included cable with the DS was a right angle plug at the DS so that I could release the e-brake and leave it connected. I would be checking for an updated download more often.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Looks like @ilDiavel already covered all that I was thinking to mention. May be a little while for Ford Performance to release an updated file for the Drift Stick (DS) Flash. Really wish that included cable with the DS was a right angle plug at the DS so that I could release the e-brake and leave it connected. I would be checking for an updated download more often.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3NVL57
or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V81XICW

I run the 3-way with the drift stick and OBDLink MX into 2 of them, and the last one clips into the stock OBD location. It's a tight fit because the cables are short but works well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info you guys! I will start with changing brake pads to Yellow Stuff and hopefully that works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of the discussion on this problem is under a thread title "Hard Brake Pedal". There are a couple of theories on the source of this issue. I believe that water on the rotors from the cooling fins attached to the lower control arms are part of the problem. The stock brake pads are also partially to blame said:
Thanks for the input! I have a few more things to try now.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have noticed this also for the past 2 winters,
@ilDiavel, because i am not a member of the FB group, do you have any info outside of the group for more info regarding it
Sure!

The bulletin states:

11/27/2018 7411 -2016-2018 Focus RS - Momentary soft or Long brake pedal in cold/wet/damp weather - reprogram anti-brake system (ABS) Module

2016-2018 Focus RS vehicles with 2.3L EcoBoost engine, may experience momentary soft or long brake pedal in cold/wet/damp weather after extended driving conditions. Reprogram the ABS module using the latest software level of appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming use causal part 2C219 and applicable labor operations in Section 02 of the service labor time standards (SLTS) manual.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Thank you
Sure!

The bulletin states:

11/27/2018 7411 -2016-2018 Focus RS - Momentary soft or Long brake pedal in cold/wet/damp weather - reprogram anti-brake system (ABS) Module

2016-2018 Focus RS vehicles with 2.3L EcoBoost engine, may experience momentary soft or long brake pedal in cold/wet/damp weather after extended driving conditions. Reprogram the ABS module using the latest software level of appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming use causal part 2C219 and applicable labor operations in Section 02 of the service labor time standards (SLTS) manual.
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
Any piece of kit that is half decent will 'freeze' in a humid prone environment.
If I wash my car and do not drive it for a bit to clean the brakes afterwards, good luck trying to move it in the morning.
The front brakes will freeze on the rotor.
I had the same on my M3.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think almost every car I've had with an "open" wheel pattern has experienced this. I've always felt it was just as simple as the rotor surfaces getting wet. It only takes a second for the brakes to "dry" and start working properly again, but it can certainly cause some puckering if you weren't expecting it. It's also especially unsettling as they start to dry, as they'll almost certainly dry unevenly, so you'll get some pull one way or the other from uneven braking.

To combat this, I try and lightly touch the brakes every so often with my left foot in such conditions. Not enough to really even slow the car, but enough to feel that the brakes are there.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think almost every car I've had with an "open" wheel pattern has experienced this. I've always felt it was just as simple as the rotor surfaces getting wet. It only takes a second for the brakes to "dry" and start working properly again, but it can certainly cause some puckering if you weren't expecting it. It's also especially unsettling as they start to dry, as they'll almost certainly dry unevenly, so you'll get some pull one way or the other from uneven braking.

To combat this, I try and lightly touch the brakes every so often with my left foot in such conditions. Not enough to really even slow the car, but enough to feel that the brakes are there.
That my friend is exactly what many cars do without the driver knowing.
I am not sure if the RS does it but my buddy's old TT RS did it especially on pouring rain.
We could feel the car applying the brakes to clean the rotors.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I had experienced the same issue here in New England in the late fall/winter/early spring. I replaced the stock pads with EBC Yellow Stuff and the rotors with DBA slotted T3s. Eliminated butt pucker by 99%.
I am going a similar route in the same area of the country (with G-Loc R6s). Figured this is a better route than dragging the brakes which has other downsides.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have noticed this also for the past 2 winters,
@ilDiavel, because i am not a member of the FB group, do you have any info outside of the group for more info regarding it
Sure!

The bulletin states:

Forgive me for being a newb but I’m assuming you need to go to a dealer to get this update?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts