Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
See if Ford Service can recommend a dealer that has done several HG replacements.

Even better, after an email or two politely ask for a longblock due to the amount of rework that has had to be done on these cars due to bad HG installs. They could say yes.
They won't say yes...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like a crappy situation. I'm a service writer for Ford so if you want any confirmation on warranty work, I shold be able to see when and where it was performced, PM me your VIN number if you are comfortable. Typically, service and repairs are not visible between dealerships, but warranty's and recalls have to be submitted to Ford in order for the dealership to get paid for the work, so it is visible in most cases I've seen. I know this because I've been shopping RS's and use the software to see which dealership performed the recall and look at their reviews.

What part of the country do you live in? If it looks like it hasn't been done, if you are close I can try talking to my service manager about getting it done.

There are numerous Ford dealerships in my area and some of them are great and some have the worst satisfaction rating in the country. I haven't received any indication that Parts and Service is shutting down (in Ohio at least), traffic is low and flat rate techs are getting desperate for work and this is around a 10 hour job IIRC. I'll try to help you if I can OP.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not trying to dismiss your concern for the head gasket replacement.

ive owned my RS since June of 2017 knowing it did not have the proper head gasket installed and did not have the recall completed by the dealer. I regularly tracked my car and drove the engine at high rpms eventually hoping the head gasket would fail. Low and behold 2 years later cylinder 2 failed before the headgasket failed.

now I’m not sure as to your location but if you are on the east coast there are several dealer and performance shops who can help you out even if you only want the head gasket done. I remember ford telling me when I bought the car and said I wanted the head gasket job done. Dealer did not want to touch the car as they were inexperienced with the RS. The service engineer who I spoke with told they would compensate me to have it preformed by an outside company. The catch being the outside shop would basically have to accept the ford paid rate for the job and I would have to cover the rest. If you get a good service engineer they might work out a deal like that with you.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Not trying to dismiss your concern for the head gasket replacement.

ive owned my RS since June of 2017 knowing it did not have the proper head gasket installed and did not have the recall completed by the dealer. I regularly tracked my car and drove the engine at high rpms eventually hoping the head gasket would fail. Low and behold 2 years later cylinder 2 failed before the headgasket failed.

now I’m not sure as to your location but if you are on the east coast there are several dealer and performance shops who can help you out even if you only want the head gasket done. I remember ford telling me when I bought the car and said I wanted the head gasket job done. Dealer did not want to touch the car as they were inexperienced with the RS. The service engineer who I spoke with told they would compensate me to have it preformed by an outside company. The catch being the outside shop would basically have to accept the ford paid rate for the job and I would have to cover the rest. If you get a good service engineer they might work out a deal like that with you.
That was caused by the headgasket failure in these cars.... Coolant starts leaking from the HG into cylinders 2/3 after you shut the car off. If you have the wrong head gasket on the car, it's just a matter of time before the engine will fail like this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That was caused by the headgasket failure in these cars.... Coolant starts leaking from the HG into cylinders 2/3 after you shut the car off. If you have the wrong head gasket on the car, it's just a matter of time before the engine will fail like this.
Mine was not a failure of the head gasket mine was caused by mechanics failure while driving. Cylinder 2 split right down the center perfectly. Almost looks like it was a manufacturer’s defect when ford looked at it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did they say how much it would cost to have the head gasket done? Would it be possible to just buy the gasket and replace it yourself?
Just curious.

·
Registered
46 Posts
IIRC the book calls for around 14 hours of labor. My dealerships shop rate is just under 125/hour. Not sure how much the parts are as I started in service way after these recalls were completed but you can do the math. Not a job i would recommend for the weekend mechanic or anyone who hasn't taken the top half of a motor apart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a oasis printout from a car I was looking at and it said it had a breakdown of the head gasket job and said it was like $1500 or$1600. I threw it out because I went with a different car or else I’d post it. I also don’t know if that’s the Ford price or that’s what a customer would have to pay.
For the car I bought it shows on the carfax as maintenance performed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Spoke to Ford again, escalated to a supervisor who said there was nothing they are willing to do. They gave me some PO Box that I can send a written complaint to. At that point, I was not being so nice, as have been really frustrated with the situation and both the dealer and Ford refusing to provide any assistance.

the ford person told me dealers are independently owned and it is t their responsibility, to which I replied they sell YOUR cars with you recalled and you paid for the repairs. I don’t see why this should be any different.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Spoke to Ford again, escalated to a supervisor who said there was nothing they are willing to do. They gave me some PO Box that I can send a written complaint to. At that point, I was not being so nice, as have been really frustrated with the situation and both the dealer and Ford refusing to provide any assistance.

the ford person told me dealers are independently owned and it is t their responsibility, to which I replied they sell YOUR cars with you recalled and you paid for the repairs. I don’t see why this should be any different.
Perhaps call again and ask if they will fix it under the powertrain warranty. It will be cheaper for them to fix a head gasket vs longblock. Are you consuming any coolant or having any symptoms of HG failure?

Other than that, try the BBB and/or your state's consumer protection bureau:

Plan C may be to take the dealer to small claims court after you get the car fixed at your expense.

This is truly unfortunate as the dealer sold you a car that needs a bunch of work. They will likely say this was sold "as-is".

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
It should actually be pretty simple. Especially if you get a letter of intent from a lawyer.

Does the VIN fall within the range of cars listed as affected and who was in possession of the car at the time the real was issued.

If it was in the dealerships hands the dealer SHOULD have done the work. If you owned the car, and ignored the letter then you'd be out of luck.

On the other hand? It should fail in about 20-25k miles from the day it rolled off the line. Very few cars seemed to make it to 30k before the incorrect gasket fails.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Also, I do find it hilarious that Ford had reps all over this website, but when the Gaskets started failing Ford pulled out and left everyone for Dead. Suddenly the Ford accounts here stopped responding to EVERYONE.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Mine was not a failure of the head gasket mine was caused by mechanics failure while driving. Cylinder 2 split right down the center perfectly. Almost looks like it was a manufacturer’s defect when ford looked at it.
Do you have a pic? Was there any scoring? When the coolant leaks into the cylinder, it cleans the oil layer off. So every startup will score the cylinders more and more. You sure that wasn't the root cause? I don't think I've heard of any engine failures matching your situation. Also, as the HG failure gets worse, more coolant gets into your cylinder. Could have been similar to a hydrolock, but the scoring had weakened the cylinder enough that it failed before the rod.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Do you have a pic? Was there any scoring? When the coolant leaks into the cylinder, it cleans the oil layer off. So every startup will score the cylinders more and more. You sure that wasn't the root cause? I don't think I've heard of any engine failures matching your situation. Also, as the HG failure gets worse, more coolant gets into your cylinder. Could have been similar to a hydrolock, but the scoring had weakened the cylinder enough that it failed before the rod.
The sort of cylinder scoring caused by coolant ingestion into the cylinder doesn't cause cylinder liner weakness. The scoring wouldn't even be 0.001" on a liner that's around 3mm thick.
I've also seen images of the supposed scoring that's not actually scoring at all but liner "marking". It looks bad to the untrained eye but is so inconsequential you cant even measure it, with zero effect on a cylinder leak down test. A few passes with the flex hone and it's gone

Ciao

·
Registered
118 Posts
Perfect split down the center line.

plugs were not even washed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My heart sank when I saw that piston, but yet, plugs look great IMO. Obviously that crack is the crux of the problem, but is it just me or does it seem like there is a bit of excessive carbon build up on top of that piston?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thats a cracked piston not cylinder liner. Probable cause...hydraulic lock.

Ciao
Cylinder liners cracked as well but I don’t have the picture yet. I have not torn the block down yet. You can see it when I drained the coolant. I’ll probably tear it down when I’m on my 14 off rotation. And get all the good pictures then. I also suspect the rod is probably bent and pin is damaged because at TDC the rod feels like it’s got play/movement to it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts