Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I bought my early 2017 build RS in June 2019. I asked about the head gasket when buying but didn’t know much about the issues or how to check at the time.

Anyway, fast forward 9 months and I decided to check. Checked the head gasket and I have version b. I called the dealership, whoos Currently saying they won’t cover it since no outstanding recalls are showing and the csr is not exhibiting any symptoms. I thought by law they should have addressed this while in their possession before selling it, and the window closed after I bought it anyway.

the car was topped up with coolant 4k miles ago at its service but I don’t think it has lost any since. No other symptoms (vibrates when AC comes on but otherwise normal cold starts, runs great, feels fast, boosts normally, no white smoke). It has 26k on it now.

What should I do at this point? After reading horror stories post hg i stalk, is it best to leave it as is? Or do I try to get the dealer to replace it?

thanks!
Alan

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Maybe it varies on your location but dealerships are required by law to address any outstanding recalls before sale

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hi everyone,

I bought my early 2017 build RS in June 2019. I asked about the head gasket when buying but didn’t know much about the issues or how to check at the time.

Anyway, fast forward 9 months and I decided to check. Checked the head gasket and I have version b. I called the dealership, whoos Currently saying they won’t cover it since no outstanding recalls are showing and the csr is not exhibiting any symptoms. I thought by law they should have addressed this while in their possession before selling it, and the window closed after I bought it anyway.

the car was topped up with coolant 4k miles ago at its service but I don’t think it has lost any since. No other symptoms (vibrates when AC comes on but otherwise normal cold starts, runs great, feels fast, boosts normally, no white smoke). It has 26k on it now.

What should I do at this point? After reading horror stories post hg i stalk, is it best to leave it as is? Or do I try to get the dealer to replace it?

thanks!
Alan
Lucky you, the dealer hasn't had a chance to **** it up.

Ciao

·
Registered
409 Posts
All dealerships were meant to replace it before selling the car on to new owner. Regardless if the window is closed, they are responsible for cost of replacing that gasket.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely agree this should have been addressed. I spoke to the dealership and I don’t think they will do it without a fight. What’s the best way to move forward? Open a case with Ford?

·
Super Moderator
16,196 Posts
Contact Ford Customer service at 1-(800) 392-3673 and generate a case for this. Ford will have one of their regional managers work with the dealership to get this addressed since it should have been completed prior to your purchase. Both Ford and the dealership owe you some answers on this.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
See if Ford Service can recommend a dealer that has done several HG replacements.

Even better, after an email or two politely ask for a longblock due to the amount of rework that has had to be done on these cars due to bad HG installs. They could say yes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will keep you guys updated. The dealership has been less than helpful and just told me to call ford.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Will keep you guys updated. The dealership has been less than helpful and just told me to call ford.
They probably had a few cars come back and don't want to touch it. Hopefully you can find another dealer, preferably one that sells other high performance Mustangs and Raptors so they wont mess with your car while it's there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car isnt there. I never dropped it off anywhere to get it done. The dealer that sold it to me is not my local dealer (but its only 30-40 miles away or so).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why would a Ford Dealer keep a model 2017 on their lot until 2019 & not address the issue? Why do they act stupid on this? You mean to tell me that car sat there all of 2018 & no one bothered to install the correct had gaskets? They knowingly sold that car with the incorrect head gaskets? I’m telling you right now, if I spent 40k+ for that car & it wasn’t disclosed in the purchase contract, I’d be contacting a Lemon law attorney & get my money back.

It’s the same thing with the DPS6. Just shady business ethics & screwing customers over the long-run, it’s BS. I’ll repeat, NO BRAND NEW 2017 RS should’ve been sold in 2018 until that HG was addressed. For the life of me, I can’t figure out how they (dealers) got away doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be clear, I bought the car pre owned with just under 18k miles. It was in the dealer’s possession in May 2019 (or earlier). I feel it should have been addressed before reselling the car to me because it was an open recall item at that time. @PokerRun388 the same still applies though, right?

Reactions: PokerRun388

·
Registered
443 Posts
To be clear, I bought the car pre owned with just under 18k miles. It was in the dealer’s possession in May 2019 (or earlier). I feel it should have been addressed before reselling the car to me because it was an open recall item at that time. @PokerRun388 the same still applies though, right?

It absolutely should apply, regardless of when the vehicle was first sold. It still has a 5/60 powertrain. I’m sick & tired of these dealers acting oblivious to the issue. I’ve been searching for a used one over the last year & very few will ever show ‘cylinder head gasket(s) replaced’ on their carfax reports. You have to call Ford Customer Care & give them the VIN, so they can run the records.

Oh & good luck with that. Half the time I can barely understand them & often times end up asking them if they even know what a Focus RS even is? It’s ridiculous....

I’m just frustrated because none of these cars should’ve continued to be sold w/o the head gaskets being replaced, assuming their build dates were before 07/17.

That said, if an early build pre-owned ‘17 is sitting at a Ford Dealer for sale, then before the ad is even placed, the HG’s need to be addressed

Do these dealers think customers want to spend 30-35k for a car prone to HG failures w/o proof that it was done?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Why I get so worked up about this is because I can’t even imagine the cost to replace HGs, out-of-pocket. Heck, they wanted to charge me 2k just to replace the clutch packs on my DCT.

There was an FSA mailed out in early 2018 & it said build dates 08/03/15 to 07/06/17 were in question. FSA 17B32.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I completely agree! The dealership then said I can do the repair at my own expense, since it has no symptoms. I said this is complete bullsht and am now going to get ford involved.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I completely agree! The dealership then said I can do the repair at my own expense, since it has no symptoms. I said this is complete bullsht and am now going to get ford involved.
Yup, just be polite. Ford Service has dealt with a number of RS owners with HG issues, and the more recent cases seem to have been turning out better than the older cases. Do let us know what they come back with!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I spoke to ford customer service (via chat, will call back Monday). They said there is no evidence of there ever being the customer stisfaction program on my car and not all VINs are affected. I told them that isn't true because all VINs from 2016 until July 2017 were included. I have read about the same thing happening with some members and their 2016 cars. Honestly, I am not sure what to do now. The people I talk to do not know anything about it and there is no evidence in their system. Please help with some advice.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I spoke to ford customer service (via chat, will call back Monday). They said there is no evidence of there ever being the customer stisfaction program on my car and not all VINs are affected. I told them that isn't true because all VINs from 2016 until July 2017 were included. I have read about the same thing happening with some members and their 2016 cars. Honestly, I am not sure what to do now. The people I talk to do not know anything about it and there is no evidence in their system. Please help with some advice.
Call on Monday and open the case. The people who are manning the chat rooms are probably only qualified for very basic customer service assistance.

In the meantime, start looking for a dealer who you would want to do the work.

·
Registered
844 Posts
based on horror stories.... i would take it to a high quality shop and have them do it. Unless you find a good ford dealer and talk to máster tech before hand and voice your concerns. Even offer a bonus lol.

my vin no longer shows its pending and I.never did it. switched motor.

I assume dealer marked it as done to collect a payment. since they.knew I ended up going my way.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
You have any ponds or lakes near you?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts