Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got FORScan lite to play with (and to also reset my battery monitor), and tried using my old bluetooth adapter for it. It works with Torque Pro, but FORScan just says "ELM not found." So I am wondering if there's a protocol problem, or it's just a normal thing that I am holding wrong? As in, is it possible that the OBDII adapter might support some protocols, but not others, preventing FORScan from connecting using one protocol, while Torque uses something more standard? Maybe MS-CAN?

Looking at maybe getting the OBDLink MX+, but checking in case I can get this thing to work.

Edit: Ok, so apparently I derped. You have to go into FORScan Lite settings and select the correct BT device, or it'll just keep trying to connect to whatever the first one is.
So I got it to sort of connect. It starts out with detecting the adapter: ELM 327 v1.5. Then over the course of about a minute it reads a dozen sensors, and then fails out a few seconds after the AWD module with a "No ELM found. Please check connection and try again." Might be just a bad OBD unit. Reported 14ms min delay with a 0.6% rate of CAN ERROR. Is it supposed to be this slow - about a minute to finish connecting?

Edit 2: MEH! Just ordered the OBDLink adapter. It seems this thing is fundamentally unstable. For reference, this scanner is by Bafx.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's why I don't recommend scanners of Bafx.
Fair. I got it for $20 5 years ago cuz I needed to check CEL codes on my SO's car. It worked well enough the few times I've checked codes on my and friends' cars. However, the Bafx seems to not be up to snuff beyond the basics.

New question: has anyone tried MX+ with FORScan for PC? I know they recommend the OBDLink EX USB model, but figure if I am getting the MX+ anyway, it would be nice to be able to use it with the full Windows version. FORScan (or anyone) doesn't really provide a comparison between MX+ and EX as far as PC functionality.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As a rule, FORScan seems to recommend the "wired" version--OBDLinkEX over any BT adapter. Wired versions just seem to be more reliable than BT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been using the OBDLink MX for a few years now and have had no issues with it. The MX+ is a replacement for the MX.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up getting the MX+ partially for the 3rd party plug-ins they advertise with their own OBDLink app, which I can use on a variety of other cars. It's quite neat the way it detects the car you are connecting to and suggests add-on downloads. Gives you a few more sensor readings that don't show up otherwise. 6 seconds to connect, solid connection, no issues at all, was able to reset the battery monitor right away. This is compared to a minute+ to connect, and a faulty connection with the cheapy adapter. This thing's badass! :D

Gonna try MX+ for doing FORScan things, see how that works. Wanna try getting international open/close for the windows first

1 - 7 of 7 Posts