Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 7 years of owning the ST I finally traded her in for a 2017 Focus RS. Drove from New York to Maryland to get it (slim pickings in NY). Even though it was love at first site with the RS I was still a little sad when I drove away and said goodbye to the ST one last time...

The RS is exactly what I wanted.. Nitros Blue, RS2 package, forged wheels, moon roof and reasonable miles (30k) and it even had some WeatherTech mats in it!

Here's what I've done to it so far...

Green air filter
Diode Dynamic headlight, fog, reverse & interior bulbs
Ronin stubby antenna
Steeda clutch pedal spring
Redline hood struts
Boomba shift knob
Rally Armor mudflaps
Hard wired the radar detector
Swapped third brake light for red one
Plate frame and decal (Paul Walker tribute)

And I'm currently awaiting my Damond Motorsports pedal spacer.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Did you shed a tear when you left your old ST 😢

Welcome to the forum!

what's the part number for the red brake lamp and how much did it cost?

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
They become family. My wife traded an ‘07 F-150 for a new one. It was emotional. Then, while looking for a car for our granddaughter, our ‘07 showed up online. Bummer all over again!
Enjoy the RS...the adventure begins...

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Welcome to the family. 😁

I too gave up my 14 ST in Performance Blue. I hated leaving that car behind. I love my RS but I will always miss my ST.:cry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate all the replies guys! I do miss my ST because of all the good times I had with it, certainly not because I regret my new car.

Did you shed a tear when you left your old ST 😢

Welcome to the forum!

what's the part number for the red brake lamp and how much did it cost?
Funny story.. I went to Ford and was going to order one, but they wanted $55 and no guarantee of when they'll get it in. So I went to my local pick 'n pull junk yard, they had a regular focus in the yard with an excellent condition third brake light. I put it on the counter to pay for it and the guy looked at it and says "That's it? Eh.. just take it" lol. So that was pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can pickup another ST much easier than another RS in the future. Hold on to this one and save up for another ST. The RSs are getting hard to find! Congrats on finding the one you wanted!

Also recommend de-badging the "FOCUS" emblem. That script never seemed to fit with the RS.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You can pickup another ST much easier than another RS in the future. Hold on to this one and save up for another ST. The RSs are getting hard to find! Congrats on finding the one you wanted!

Also recommend de-badging the "FOCUS" emblem. That script never seemed to fit with the RS.
That's the first "mod" I did when I got my RS. Dropped it off to get ceramic coating and clear bra and told them to get rid of the "Focus" on the hatch. Damn Ford USA and their brand recognition...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Maybe it’s just me..... but I like the Focus badge on the bottom of that hatch..... this may sound odd but I get upset when I’m searching for an RS & the badge is gone lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I would remove the Focus badge from my car, but its been on there long enough that I'm afraid there is paint fade under it. :(

Unfortunately the car was sitting on a dealer lot for a year before I bought it. So the Sun already had a chance to do its work.

I also came from a Perf Blue 2013 ST, and the cars drive VERY differently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I like keeping the Focus badge on for people who don't know what this car is, it catches them off guard, because ya know.. a Focus is slow right? ;)

Small update, the mod bug bit me again (little bastard) and I had to order a Boomba short throw shifter, trans plate & shifter plate solid bushings and also Ronin solid cable bushings. I miss how the shifter felt in my ST. I got my Damond Motorsports pedal spacer installed and I'm quite happy with it, perfect height.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
That the same story to non-car people.

"A lancer is a slow car right?" You don't know how many time I heard that before. When my last Evo got rear-ended and the insurance gave me $32,000 for it all of my co-workers jaw dropped!

This type of cars are money pits! I just picked up some Mountune bits this Sunday.... Spent $1,023...... I did shop around though (if I didn't I would spent $1,500+)

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Focus ST lease is up in a year, and I keep flip flopping between keeping it or returning it.
I'm sure they'll be offering a sweet deal, since nobody is buying anything other than SUVs currently, but if they stick with the original lease buyout amount then I'll be missing my ST as well.

Even driving conservatively, it's hard to get over 20mpg on the RS, but my ST will hit 30+ on highway trips easy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My Focus ST lease is up in a year, and I keep flip flopping between keeping it or returning it.
I'm sure they'll be offering a sweet deal, since nobody is buying anything other than SUVs currently, but if they stick with the original lease buyout amount then I'll be missing my ST as well.

Even driving conservatively, it's hard to get over 20mpg on the RS, but my ST will hit 30+ on highway trips easy.

I didn’t realize you had an ST also.... pretty cool you have the best of both worlds. I have to ask: Is the RS really that much faster? And are the MPGs around town much worse? I’m back & forth on buying an ST or RS. It really just depends on what day it is. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
LOL, you really need to pull the trigger before all the remaining RSs are totaled or sold to their forever homes.
If you don't like what you buy after a few weeks, you can always turn around and sell it back to someone else. The market won't suddenly cool off. As someone who originally wanted a fully loaded RS2, my buyback base model with 16,000 miles is just as amazing as I imagined coming from the ST. Upgrading the Sync to 3.4 solved most of my RS2 regrets, since I have no need for heated anything in South Carolina.

There's tons of RS vs ST threads on here, but the better fuel economy, full size spare, and rear armrest/cupholders are the only ST advantages I notice. Everything else is RS advantage. I even LIKE the auto start/stop, I keep it turned on. The ST SOUNDS faster inside with the symposer and higher revs, but the RS feels professionally fast. The biggest smile I had once I got the RS was taking off into traffic with full traction. The hookup is unparalleled in AWD vs FWD.

Go buy whatever one you last considered but hesitated and just get it over with. If you don't fall in love with it in 2 weeks just sell it to someone else and move on. You might even make profit flipping it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you watched this guys RS videos? He falls in love with it, has the head gasket replaced, and then starts falling out of love with the experience (still bonkers for the actual car) and ends up selling it. He covers almost everything, including track day experience. This is all his RS videos playlist:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts