If anyone doesn't have time to stick around and watch all 20ish minutes, I'll be posting a high level summary of the talking points in about an hour or so.
* Aerodynamic design was driven by an objective of zero front and rear lift
* Grille mesh is much denser than other models
* Rear lower defuser is functional, key to zero lift in back
* Based off of the mustang engine
* New cylinder heads, new liners,
* Max torque "nearly always" available
* "We want the engine to race right up to the redline and not feel like it's struggling to get there"
* Exhaust pops and gurgles come out in sport and track mode
* '16 RS has 350mm front disks vs 336mm from the '09 RS
* Optimized ventilation fins in disc
* Weight - 15kg, 6% lighter than Focus ST
* "Most powerful brake system ever installed on an RS"
* Forged wheel is 950g/whl lighter than stock
* AWD system was working so well it was taking the chassis beyond what it was capable of
* Vehicle dynamics "really woke up" after chassis stiffening
* Up to 100% of torque to rear axle
* System monitors car sensors 100 times per second (example inputs on slide: steering, throttle, engine output and speed, yaw rate, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, brake and ESC systems, wheel speeds, PTU and RDU temperature)
* No center diff = infinite torque split
* Thermal safeguards in place for extreme use
* "Just because this vehicle is geared for track use doesn't mean we ignored the other requirements we had for AWD" (hot/cold weather testing, ice storm, sand, etc)
* Drive modes - AWD tuning is the same for Normal/Sport. Track tunes the AWD to find the fastest way through a bend
* Launch mode - Goal is to give the best acceleration time possible "Give as much torque to the rear wheels without slip". As soon as AWD mode is no longer needed it sends power back to the front
Found this today as well; technical presentation from a Team RS staff meeting that was recorded. The breakdown of the drive modes and the chassis stiffening were interesting, as was the breakdown of the RDU. Also thought it was funny how they only showed the shift light for a split second at the end and didn't even mention it. lol
I finally bought some pics from the photographer who is always at the SCCA track events. I looked for a track pics thread but surprisingly didn't find one. So here's a thread to post pics of your RS at the track!
We've got lists for a lot of stuff on here but I didn't see one for people who's car has an Instagram account. Add yours in here and we can all follow around and have another place to bug each other on.