Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Played hookie today with the wife and saw it while the kids were at school. Gotta say, great movie. Having read the book its based on (Go Like Hell), the events were pretty well condensed into the not-so-short 2.5 hr run time. Christian Bale was stellar (unsurprisingly, the guy is a freaking chameleon!) and Matt Damon was pretty decent (I had some reservations, and even though he just looked like Matt Damon with a Texan accent and a cowboy hat, he nailed the no-BS "chicken farmer" Shelby). I had a little bit of trouble getting over Jon Bernthal (The Punisher, Walking Dead) as a buff Lee Iaccoca, the father of the minivan and Caitriona Balfe (Outlander) playing a more modern character. The action scenes/racing scenes were shot very well and reminded me of the Steve McQueen Le Mans, lots of real cars going, what looks like, a very high rate of speed, very little CG from what I can tell, even on the crashes.

Overall, great movie, even my wife (who's not a car person) enjoyed it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Great now I gotta sit still for 2.5 hrs , ask anyone who knows me if that is going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Nah, going to wait until I can watch it in the comfort of my home.... Local movie theater sound system stinks... sounds like an old oversized AM radio. Where people's popcorn-crunching is louder than the movie...

When the time comes, I will have the movie cranked-up thru my theater/surround speakers & subwoofers..... be it P-B version bootleg, Blu-Ray, 4K-Ultra or DVD.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Saw it last night and it was quite good. A few time line issues with the different versions of the GT40 and questionable sound effects and driving techniques. Apparently when draughting another car down a straight at WOT changing down a gear will give you the extra speed you need to get the pass done!
Overall though good entertainment and a nice tribute to Ken Miles as a driver and engineer.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
@BigFatFlip thanks for mentioning the book (Go Like Hell) I just bought it on amazon!

I’ll watch the movie at home later when it’s available with more knowledge having read the book!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah, going to wait until I can watch it in the comfort of my home.... Local movie theater sound system stinks... sounds like an old oversized AM radio. Where people's popcorn-crunching is louder than the movie...

When the time comes, I will have the movie cranked-up thru my theater/surround speakers & subwoofers..... be it P-B version bootleg, Blu-Ray, 4K-Ultra or DVD.
Ya, saw it at an IMAX, only way to go.

@BigFatFlip thanks for mentioning the book (Go Like Hell) I just bought it on amazon!

I’ll watch the movie at home later when it’s available with more knowledge having read the book!
I'm actually not a big book reader, so any book that keeps my attention long enough to finish it is glowing praise lol

About halfway thru Adrian Newey's "How to Build a car". It's about the size of a text book but I'm just riveted, so much great technical detail on all the F1 cars he's designed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts