Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news for us Apple and Android users! 2017 models equipped with Sync3 will feature Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. 2016 models will recieve a software update to support these features.

It's a nice feature upgrade for the RS!

The new infotainment system will come standard with Ford apps, including a Siri Eyes-Free app separate from Apple CarPlay that will allow drivers to navigate the system with voice commands, as well as new SYNC Connect phone connectivity that promises to allow owners the ability to remote-start the vehicle, unlock doors, locate the parked vehicle, and even display fuel levels via the phone app.
All Future Ford Models Will Include SYNC 3 With Apple CarPlay And Android Auto

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts

ford sync.jpg

by Justin Westbrook, 4 January 2016

Ford has followed up its recent introduction of the third generation SYNC infotainment system with the announcement that it will come standard on all 2017 models and will include both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone connectivity.

SYNC 3’s introduction on later 2016 Ford models and all 2017 models, starting with the new 2017 Ford Escape, finally answers the company’s promise to bring better smartphone connectivity and technology to its lineup, this time teaming up with Blackberry instead of Microsoft.

The new infotainment system will come standard with Ford apps, including a Siri Eyes-Free app separate from Apple CarPlay that will allow drivers to navigate the system with voice commands, as well as new SYNC Connect phone connectivity that promises to allow owners the ability to remote-start the vehicle, unlock doors, locate the parked vehicle, and even display fuel levels via the phone app.

In-car phone connectivity through Apple CarPlay or Android Auto will also allow drivers to use Apple Maps or Google Maps via the vehicle’s navigation, as well as stream music and make phone calls.

The biggest updates with Ford’s SYNC 3 include a completely redesigned system with new Ford AppLink apps to be detailed at the automaker’s CES event this week, as well as WiFi connectivity which will allow for the car to automatically update from the garage or driveway when linked with a wireless home network.

Any current 2016 models with SYNC 3 do not include Apple or Android’s systems, nor Ford’s updates, but the company promises there will be a free system update later in the year for the new features.

Going forward, Ford owners will now have the option of using Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, or the automaker’s rebooted AppLink system for hands-free interaction in the vehicle, making SYNC 3 the biggest improvement to Ford’s infotainment technology yet.

Of course that’s only if there’s hardware to back it up, and if people like my grandparents are able to figure it out, AND if SYNC stops being a total narc and calling the cops on everybody.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Ya I wish I didn't have to get the Navigation with RS2 package. That was the only thing that got me about the packaging. Though the new nav is much better.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
THis was actually the only stipulation I put in writing when I ordered my car. If it didn't come with Android Auto and for some reason wasn't going to be updated to have it, the dealer would provide an update for me or replace the head unit with a unit that would get Android Auto. This was because they assured me that I didn't have to get the Nav package to get Sync 3 and AA/CarPlay. I'm glad that they were right (and I'm sure that they are as well).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well this just made my day! Heck yeah!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've never used it... but have an iPhone 6, so can't wait to play with that! Awesome.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Now just have to figure out a way to drive my car into my living room so I can get a WiFi signal...
I don't know about you, but this is definitely what my living room looks like. WiFi access won't be a problem.
SLS_Buch_Bolsinger_2009_7_1600pxQ80.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Now just have to figure out a way to drive my car into my living room so I can get a WiFi signal...
The dealer will update for you if you can't use WiFi.

I wonder if the new Sync system also will allow for tethering to phones for updates? I doubt it though...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The dealer will update for you if you can't use WiFi.

I wonder if the new Sync system also will allow for tethering to phones for updates? I doubt it though...
I've heard that it does, but I couldn't confirm where. Well, I'm thinking of WiFi hotspots, which are no different from any other type of WiFI network. If you're referring to USB tethering, I seriously doubt it. That would require more drivers.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Porsche design tower in Miami has you covered!

New Condos at Porsche Design Tower?The Luxury Team

Just drive your car into your personal elevator and it whips up directly into a glass box to act as a center piece for your living room. Retirement goals for me in my next life :p

·
Super Moderator
15,325 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Finally! I knew it would only be a matter of time before it would come out. Especially since they're working with Google now and CES is right around the corner.

1 - 20 of 388 Posts
About this Discussion
387 Replies
126 Participants
jumperalex
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing