Ford Focus RS Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
@Biznatch Stock controller does have more than 2 signals to the stocks though there are only 2 modes. Unless the documentation from Ford is trash.

And I'm not saying they did make a big change to the shock, but that they could have done that and it would have made sense since at one point it appears as though they were developing for magnetic shocks. If they are showing the 2018 shock is not a replacement option for the 2016-2017 I would want more research into why Ford says that, not a they physically fit and all will be good with no/incomplete research reply.
That's just a link to your own post, making the same assumptions..... And when has ford documentation not been trash? There is enough information on this forum to prove that's not the case, and people in this exact thread have already installed the updated 18 struts on non-18 cars but you just keep going back to the same wrong info. So I'm done arguing.

*edit* Here's a direct link to the post on the DSC thread by DSC themselves, who have done far more extensive testing on the RS suspension than any of us.....
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/15-focus-rs-garage/31-focus-rs-suspension/92065-dsc-sport-active-suspension-controller-available-now-post1786873.html#post1786873

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 2018 suspension REV 2 Fronts, and REV 1 Rears are compatible with the 2016s and 2017s. I think it just took a little while for the systems to reflect the REV's and update accordingly. If you go to parts.ford website right now and enter your car as a 2017 focus rs, and go into suspension, they list part# AST84866 (18124) as the RH front strut, AST84867 (18124) as the LH front strut and ASH85910 (18125) as both LH and RH rear shock absorbers. These same 3 are the ones that come up if you go back and enter your car as a 2018 focus rs. These same part numbers come up on rockauto whether you enter 2017 or 2018 as your model year car. Same thing is true on tasca, except tasca uses the alternate part number (engineering part numbers vs service part numbers). But to sum it up quickly:
Front Struts REV 0 were G1FZ-18124-A and G1FZ-18124-B for LH and RH respectively.
Front Struts REV 1 was G1FZ-18124-C and G1FZ-18124-D for LH and RH.
And now the REV 2 is G1FZ-18124-E and G1FZ-18124-F for LH and RH.
For the Rears the REV 0 was G1FZ-18125-A and now the REV 1 is G1FZ-18125-B.
Tasca shows that for Fronts, -A and -B for fronts are discontinued and can't be purchased. And if you try and search for -C or -D you get directed to -E and -F being their replacements. Same is true for rears, if you try and search for the -A, it redirects you and says -B is the replacement.

So overall, no matter where you go to get your suspension from (Ford, Tasca, RockAuto), you are getting the most recent REV version of both the fronts and rears.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
That's just a link to your own post, making the same assumptions..... And when has ford documentation not been trash? There is enough information on this forum to prove that's not the case, and people in this exact thread have already installed the updated 18 struts on non-18 cars but you just keep going back to the same wrong info. So I'm done arguing.
First, I'm not arguing, at least not trying to. I'm just pushing for more research about why Ford would not list the 2018 shock as supported on 2016-2017. From a business point of view it would be more cost effective to not need to store both on the warehouse shelves in the future to support these cars if they can just store the update design/spec unit for both. Maybe they will supersede it after old design stock is exhausted rather than the cost of discarding them for the update. Ford holds too much info close to the chest in my opinion, more info in this area from them could end these debates. A TSB to service centers with "If customer request 2018 RS shocks on pre-18 RS....." would be great, if it give a clear reason and if possible a list of additional parts/work needed to officially support this update.

Also, you only assume I've not read the DSC thread. I have read it, and will continue to follow that topic as I may get allowances in the future to run that controller in my race class. I think the DSC controller working so well on the stock shocks prove they are more than just an on/off switch, even though to us the mode is sport on/off.

Now into the hypothetically part of my thinking so that you may understand why I want more info: Say to improve the soft ride in the 2018 Ford used a larger valve in the updated stock shock than the 2016/2017 had. My thought would be that the controller would need to send more current, or more than 50% duty cycle, to it to achieve the same level stiffness as the smaller opening of the older design in sport mode did. If that is the case I would want the 2018 controller with the shocks. If that hypothesis is right 2018 shocks on a 2016 would result in the same ride improvements in normal mode as the 2018 has, but would compromise sport mode some. I do not have the tools, time or funds to do the testing/comparisons I would like or I would answer my own questions.

Odds are the aftermarket "OE" suppliers for the RS will not care about minor differences and sell the same one for 2016-2018. But that doesn't mean anything to be me because of what I've dealt with for my old 86 Civic. I bought 87 Integra radius arms, but they were the same arms already on my Civics (all 3 of them, 1 84 and 2 86s). Found out that the parts store had the same part number for the Integra and the Civic, even though the Integra unit should have been a few MM longer, which should have given me a little extra negative camber with the Civic. But in the end any Integra user that bought them was getting screw as it was compromising their suspension geometry for the sack of the aftermarket parts supplier to save a little money by making/stocking one part instead of two and figuring there were more Civics sold than Integras so we'll go with that spec. So, yes the part would fit, but it was not right (for the Integra).

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
https://www.focusrs.org/forum/31-focus-rs-suspension/92065-dsc-sport-active-suspension-controller-available-now-22.html#post1822882

The shocks aren't on/off, how the car controls them is, hence the dsc controller. You keep posting hypotheticals, but the facts all say the oposite. If they were true, DSC would have to create a separate map for the 18's. The poster above explained why they show up as incompatible in the parts catalog.
I asked about this DSC before I bought the Tractive setup. They said they didn't have the shocks and didn't seem interested when I offered to send them the Rev2 shocks to build a map before I installed them.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
The 2018 suspension REV 2 Fronts, and REV 1 Rears are compatible with the 2016s and 2017s. I think it just took a little while for the systems to reflect the REV's and update accordingly. If you go to parts.ford website right now and enter your car as a 2017 focus rs, and go into suspension, they list part# AST84866 (18124) as the RH front strut, AST84867 (18124) as the LH front strut and ASH85910 (18125) as both LH and RH rear shock absorbers. These same 3 are the ones that come up if you go back and enter your car as a 2018 focus rs. These same part numbers come up on rockauto whether you enter 2017 or 2018 as your model year car. Same thing is true on tasca, except tasca uses the alternate part number (engineering part numbers vs service part numbers). But to sum it up quickly:
Front Struts REV 0 were G1FZ-18124-A and G1FZ-18124-B for LH and RH respectively.
Front Struts REV 1 was G1FZ-18124-C and G1FZ-18124-D for LH and RH.
And now the REV 2 is G1FZ-18124-E and G1FZ-18124-F for LH and RH.
For the Rears the REV 0 was G1FZ-18125-A and now the REV 1 is G1FZ-18125-B.
Tasca shows that for Fronts, -A and -B for fronts are discontinued and can't be purchased. And if you try and search for -C or -D you get directed to -E and -F being their replacements. Same is true for rears, if you try and search for the -A, it redirects you and says -B is the replacement.

So overall, no matter where you go to get your suspension from (Ford, Tasca, RockAuto), you are getting the most recent REV version of both the fronts and rears.
OK, that ends the debate about them working with the rest of the systems in the older cars. Thanks. Still would like to know what changed.

I asked about this DSC before I bought the Tractive setup. They said they didn't have the shocks and didn't seem interested when I offered to send them the Rev2 shocks to build a map before I installed them.
While I think they could improve them some for the updated revision shocks since everyone has stated the ride different (better) they likely don't see the time worth it as the base line they have is "good enough" and they have a whole shock package they would like to sell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What's the cutoff date for rev 2 front dampers? Is it August 11, 2017 or November 8, 2017? My build date from Ford ETIS is 17.10.2017 hence my confusion..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone have the set build date to know for sure what shocked I have. My cars build date is 9.2.2017. so my guess is I have the Rev 1 rear and rev 1 front, but I could upgrade to rev 2 front, correct?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maybe I missed it but is anyone here running the newest revision fronts with the original rears? I'm about to be.
I have an early '17 car(built late '16) and am getting the fronts warrantied out.
I guess I'll get to see how she drives with that setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@d1rt How did you manage the warranty for the fronts? Just out of curiosity- mine was built Dec 2016 so I imagine I'm in a similar boat

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Maybe I missed it but is anyone here running the newest revision fronts with the original rears? I'm about to be.
I have an early '17 car(built late '16) and am getting the fronts warrantied out.
I guess I'll get to see how she drives with that setup.
The rears are so easy to do, I would just go ahead and swap them yourself. It's like 3 bolts after pulling the wheel. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the better ride is to swap all of them, the best ride is to run aftermarket springs on the newest revisions.

·
Registered
112 Posts
@d1rt How did you manage the warranty for the fronts? Just out of curiosity- mine was built Dec 2016 so I imagine I'm in a similar boat

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Took the car in for a clunking noise from the front of the car when going over bumps, turns out the passenger side strut was blown, and they have to replace them in pairs so... Here I am.
The rears are so easy to do, I would just go ahead and swap them yourself. It's like 3 bolts after pulling the wheel. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the better ride is to swap all of them, the best ride is to run aftermarket springs on the newest revisions.
You know, yeah the car could ride better, but I never really had any complaints, never planned on replacing mine with the revised ones, figured I'd maybe go coilover and camber plates down the road. But now that the fronts are being done for me once they get the parts in I guess I'll have to rethink what I'm going to do. I suppose I'll see how the car rides and handles with only the fronts before I make any decisions.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
OK..Over 900 miles on the "revised" suspension front/rear....Are they better yes...Would I do it again...Yes (it hurt this old man, its a lot of wrenching..I did rotors/pad also)...In Normal and sport mode its slightly better than stock (reduced pogo)...Track mode is greatly improved....For me there was no change to turn in/out or handling in general...But i'm no track guy so over/under or side steer (j/k) mean absolutely nothing to me. I got over 43K on the Baby Beast and its been one of the best semi-daily drivers I've owned..But this Fall I will most likely trade her in for a GT-R/C8....

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
OK..Over 900 miles on the "revised" suspension front/rear....Are they better yes...Would I do it again...Yes (it hurt this old man, its a lot of wrenching..I did rotors/pad also)...In Normal and sport mode its slightly better than stock (reduced pogo)...Track mode is greatly improved....For me there was no change to turn in/out or handling in general...But i'm no track guy so over/under or side steer (j/k) mean absolutely nothing to me. I got over 43K on the Baby Beast and its been one of the best semi-daily drivers I've owned..But this Fall I will most likely trade her in for a GT-R/C8....

Based on your comments it appears that you have experienced a modest improvement in ride quality but also improved grip. Here is why I say that. The primary difference between the Sport "drive mode" and Track drive mode is the stiffer (Sport) suspension setting and reduced stability, braking and torque delivery intervention. In other words, you are working the suspension more when driving aggressively and relying on the damping to control the car vs all of the electronic nannies.

Assuming you are on stock swaybars and springs, your observations are pretty much in line with what I'd expect. If you also wanted improved turn-in feel, a WL 2mm rear sway bar would tighten up the car wo/NVH increase.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts