Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I ran across an RS article this morning which claims:

"Ford says it will build as many RS models as customers want to buy instead of limiting production."

Has this been confirmed elsewhere? I have a non-allocated retail order in the system, and I am REALLY hoping this is true. Even if my car won't be built til summer, it'd still be nice knowing for sure it will be built at all!

Source: Automobile News

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
This has always been the case for 2017 models. It was stated by Ford in the early days. There's a lot of speculation though that this could change based on sales for 2016. Nothing is official as far as production numbers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I hadn't seen anywhere that Ford confirmed they will be building MY2017 Focus RS. Weren't the previous generation RS models only built for one year each?

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Interesting. I hadn't seen anywhere that Ford confirmed they will be building MY2017 Focus RS. Weren't the previous generation RS models only built for one year each?
They will definitely produce for 2017. All the show cars have had window sticker stating them to be 2017 models lol

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
MY2016 - There was a lot or early discussion about limited 2016 production ... time will tell if and what the limitations are ??

MY2017 - Might or might not happen

MY2018 - Not likely .. supposed to be year for new Focus ...but, MK VIII Golf R is supposed to come out then as well as AWD 300Hp MS3; not sure if you like either of those

Just MHOs

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
716 Posts
My feeling is (especially with the release from Ford to dealers saying the RS will be a limited vehicle) that Ford may have over estimated the demand for the RS, thus everyone thinking only allocations would be fulfilled and retail orders would be pushed back to MY 17. Probably why a lot of people with non allocated retail orders have been receiving calls and many orders been scheduled for production.

I'm 95% sure there will be a 2017 MY. With them producing the RS so late in the 2016 MY life cycle they have to have it for sale longer. That AWD system was not cheap to develop, and developing an expensive new AWD system for a not even full model year production car does not make sense (I thought I did see somewhere that the AWD system is going in other vehicles, but still)

But these are just my assumptions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually... The mk1 RS was in production for 1 calendar year while the mk2 RS was on sale for 3 years. I see no reason why Ford would limit availability of this current RS to one year, especially when they are going through the trouble of advertising it.

What is likely to be going on with 2016 is what we witnessed with the ST in 2013 (at least in North America). Limit availability the first year and ramp up production as necessary for subsequent years.

Either way I think everyone that wants an RS, will get an RS, eventually.

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
For those scheduled will it be a MY2016 or MY2016 1/2?

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as limited production, I highly doubt it. If you were in business to make money (Ford), wouldn't you sell every one you could make? Remember that the factory doesn't care what Ford dealers sell the car for; they get their invoice minus holdback price. I predict that, in a year, those who waited will get one for close to invoice. Very rare to see otherwise.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The RS won't sell more than 2-3k units in the states regardless, we don't have the market for it.

The Golf R is capped around 2500 units and VW gives them away at the end of the model year.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
The RS won't sell more than 2-3k units in the states regardless, we don't have the market for it.

The Golf R is capped around 2500 units and VW gives them away at the end of the model year.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Dream on brother ...and VW doesn't give away Golf Rs at the end of the year.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
As far as limited production, I highly doubt it. If you were in business to make money (Ford), wouldn't you sell every one you could make? Remember that the factory doesn't care what Ford dealers sell the car for; they get their invoice minus holdback price. I predict that, in a year, those who waited will get one for close to invoice. Very rare to see otherwise.
I would really be suprised to see RSs at invoice in a year. Go ahead and wait and see if you get one :watermelon: but, I'll take mine in the Spring 2016 and start having more fun ( ST is already fun).

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Dream on brother ...and VW doesn't give away Golf Rs at the end of the year.

YMMV,

MidCow3
Not sure what I'm dreaming about. When the MK6 R was going out of production you could get a new one cheaper than a CPO unit. This was before any info had been released about the MK7. The hot hatch market (30k+) is tiny in the states. The proof can be seen in ST resale values.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Not sure what I'm dreaming about. When the MK6 R was going out of production you could get a new one cheaper than a CPO unit. This was before any info had been released about the MK7. The hot hatch market (30k+) is tiny in the states. The proof can be seen in ST resale values.
The MK7 R seems to be holding pretty well in spite of dieselgate and the $2K VW loyalty bribes. Yes, all car
s have depreciation, but giving away and depreciation are two different animals.

Also, I think MK3 RS may have a lot bigger market in the USA that you think especially with the record Auto market last year and the current low gas prices.

Just my opinion though. You have a different opinion and that is okay.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
110 Posts
Honestly I think it depends on your location. In my city everyone is talking about the RS, Subaru's are HUGE here along with Mustang's, so you get some from both sides. Subaru fans want the AWD hatch that Subaru hasn't been giving them and Mustang owners want a fun DD like myself :)

Long story short, I wouldn't underestimate the consumer demand of this RS. It fills the gap that many are looking for.

EDIT: also your mentioning of the ST, the reason is it just doesn't quite fill that gap that people want. Not quite enough power and not AWD. Hence why the new RS got a huge power boost and AWD :)

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,323 Posts
Only 3,100 orders, with 2,300 of those in the UK, for Europe. I wonder how many Worldwide they have. I would think they should have at least 2,000 orders in the US. Maybe 500-1000 in Australia?
Don't forget Canada, Mexico, Middle East, and Far East.

I'm both sad and elated at the first year being around 2000 in the US.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'll definitely be interested in the numbers when they get released. There is something kinda of neat about having 1 of say 2000(+-) cars that made it to the US.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
25 Participants
Fr33dive
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing