Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Here is an article I wrote back in November about how I believe Ford is missing out by not offering RS buyers the chance to fly to Germany and pick up their cars direct from the German factory.

Please give it a read, would you be interested in picking up your RS from Germany if Ford was paying for it? I certainly would be, let me know if you agree!!!

ARTICLE:
There are few times in automotive history when the planets align, a manufacturer sees a fantastic opportunity and goes for it. For Dodge, it was “why not build a modern day Cobra?” and the absurd but immensely popular Viper was born, bringing crowds to Dodge dealerships who leave, not in Vipers, but minivans and sedans. Years later, Ford would display roughly the same level of marketing and brand genius when it resurrected to high acclaim the Ford GT, which is why Ford’s newest marketing blunder is so frustratingly inexplicable.....

Click here for the full article:
Ford Misses a Golden Opportunity with the Focus RS | Sons of Speed

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Given that target market of the RS, i cant imagine many spending a couple grand on top of the RS just to go to Germany for delivery. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Given that target market of the RS, i cant imagine many spending a couple grand on top of the RS just to go to Germany for delivery. just my 2 cents.
You wouldn't want to make a vacation out of it? Pick up your RS with your wife on Ford's dime and then travel around Europe for two weeks, bring it back to the factory and Ford ships it to the dealer you purchased it from (shiping included)... this is exactly how Volvo does it now, even on their most affordable S60 T5 model. I did it already with Volvo and would do it in a second if Ford offered it - the Nurburgring is on my bucket list!!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You would have to make a vacation out of it for sure. So what does Volvo cover?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It doesn't work that way. Volvo puts you up in a hotel for a night, gives you a tour of the factory and gives you the round trip tickets for two. The cost of the car is reduced because you drove it there, allowing the manufacture to export it essential as used, thus avoiding some of the import export taxes.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It doesn't work that way. Volvo puts you up in a hotel for a night, gives you a tour of the factory and gives you the round trip tickets for two. The cost of the car is reduced because you drove it there, allowing the manufacture to export it essential as used, thus avoiding some of the import export taxes.
Than I'm in, although given everything going on right now, I like the safety of the good ole USA

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would have to make a vacation out of it for sure. So what does Volvo cover?
Not to sound sarcastic, but did you read the article?
When you purchase a new Volvo as a "European Delivery" Volvo pays for two free tickets via SAS Airlines to Gothenburg, Sweden (Volvo's factory). Before you board the plane, you are treated to the airline's business class lounge. Once you arrive, Volvo sends a driver to pick you and your guest up from the airport, take you to your free one-night stay at the 5-star Radisson Hotel which includes an awesome free breakfast the next morning. The same driver then comes to pick you up from the hotel and drives the two of you to the Volvo factory to pick-up your new car. At the factory, you get a free tour and a free Swedish meatball lunch. Volvo pays for 15 days of full-coverage insurance while you are in Europe (you can purchase more insurance if you plan on staying longer). When your vacation is finished, you bring the car back to the factory and a driver takes you to whatever hotel you are staying at and again picks you up the next morning to drive to the airport. Your Volvo is then shipped back to the dealer where you purchased it from - takes about 5 weeks. Now, my whole point is if Volvo was owned by Ford for 11 years, did Ford learn nothing from Volvo? Why can't Ford offer a program like this for the RS since it is built in Germany? I would certainly take advantage of it... plus when you are in Germany, can you think of a better car to rip up the Autobahn and Nurburgring in? :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ford didn't learn anything from Volvo because Volvo continued to offer the program they have offered for years and Ford didn't get involved with it.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
This is awfully similar to what Saab did with their Military Sales back in the mid 80's while I was stationed in Europe. Only difference was you jumped on a train, went directly to the factory, toured and watched while your vehicle was being assembled, then you could make on the line decisions of how your vehicle was being equipped. Once the vehicle was completed and rolled off the line you received a voucher for a free break-in oil change along your route back to Germany. Mercedes and BMW had similar offerings also and that's why many military service members returned stateside with these vehicles. Not a bad opportunity to experience your vehicle at Autobahn, AutoRoute, or Autostrada speeds but the FoRS is a completely different animal and this is why I'd hope that Ford would offer a driving experience similar to STOA like what was offered with the FoST and FiST. I would hope that many would enjoy track time better than just going all out on the European roads without some type of instruction as to the driving characteristics of the FoRS.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I would do it and bring my wife in a heartbeat. That being said, I do understand how large and costly an infrastructure would be to make something like this happen. Ford is not really a high-end auto manufacturer with margins that can support stuff like this, IMO. And I'm not sure enough people would pay to make the operation break even. Adding a tour at Saarlouis would require safety and infrastructure changes there, too. Harder to do after the factory has been designed and constructed.

Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ford didn't learn anything from Volvo because Volvo continued to offer the program they have offered for years and Ford didn't get involved with it.
Well, it would have been nice if they did learn a thing or two from Volvo :) We would all be in Germany in April at a local pub, eating brats and making a toast to Ford for being so awesome... and then once everyone was sobered up, hit the Nurburgring to break some lap-times... lol!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I happen to be going to Germany as part of our European vacation in March. That would have been incredible to get to take delivery of our car while we were there! I just hope it doesn't arrive here while we are away....

·
Registered
400 Posts
I wanted to pick mine up in June and drive to LeMans to watch the new GT return. And then drive all over the place over there for 10-14 days.
I'd pay for it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
European delivery is exactly what I did for my BMW 135i and this is one of the reasons I have held onto the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
Well, I need to mention is that the Saab brand disappeared since GM sold out to Spyker and no one actually knows who owns Spyker.

The Volvo (car) division and other unprofitable divisions at the time were sold off by Ford during their re-structuring. So China's Geely owns Volvo now and they also are in dispute with their purchase of the Miller Motorsports Park with the Tooele Town Council and the state of Utah.

There's so much drama with all of this that I would say Ford did learn a lot from Volvo. They trimmed their auto division to keep afloat but at the same time decided to keep the truck division of Volvo and work more on their future EB technology.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I told the Ford performance guys that they should make this happen a few months ago at Sebring. It won't of course.. but I tried.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Headed to Germany this summer. Car's probably not due till June. Yeah, this works for me. So many European driving experiences I would love to have in that car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts