Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 367 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you think the Ford Focus RS will stack up against the Subaru WRX STI? Let us know who you think the winner is in each of the following categories:

1. Interior Style
2. Interior Quality
3. Exterior Style
4. Power / Performance
5. Handling
6. Fuel Economy
7. Price

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm biased, but we all know that the RS will probably be better on all points aside from maybe pricing at this point because that's currently unknown...

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
I haven't even seen a new STi up close. It isn't a hatch though, so it has utility against it for sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'll say that performance wise, I think the rs will be better. I've always thought that stock the sti is terribly underpowered for the money

·
Registered
9 Posts
Considering the STI is probably going to be the RS's number 1 competitor, it will be interesting to see a renewed rivalry between these two. Remember when motor trend decided to do the comparison between the FoST and the new WRX? we'll see something similar being played out when the RS comes, and who knows if Subaru will re-release an STI hatch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Considering the STI is probably going to be the RS's number 1 competitor, it will be interesting to see a renewed rivalry between these two. Remember when motor trend decided to do the comparison between the FoST and the new WRX? we'll see something similar being played out when the RS comes, and who knows if Subaru will re-release an STI hatch.

Can't wait to see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
How do you think the Ford Focus RS will stack up against the Subaru WRX STI? Let us know who you think the winner is in each of the following categories:

1. Interior Style
2. Interior Quality
3. Exterior Style
4. Power / Performance
5. Handling
6. Fuel Economy
7. Price
1. RS no question will have the better interior in my opinion. Subaru interiors have never been great... cheap materials and kindof cluttered

rs-interior.jpg sti-interior.jpg

2. Interior quality goes in hand with my previous assessment... cheap vs. not as cheap haha. The RS doesn't look to be a huge departure from the ST, which aint a bad thing.

3. I want to remain unbiased... I don't think either car is overly beautiful... so I'll say its a wash. RS = STI in the looks department. Both cars are more function than form. Which is a good thing TBH

rs1.jpg sti-1.jpg

4. Power and Performance will go to the RS. More power. Better AWD System. Equal Braking. Better Tire by far. RS all the way. We don't know a whole lot yet... but based off of the STi and other comparable cars in the class... STi 0-60 = 4.8 I believe the RS will knock it off in 4.5. STi 1/4 Mile: 13.3 @ 105 I believe the RS will do high 12's at near 110 MPH. STi Skidpad @ .93 G.. IIRC the RS was said to have 1.0G lateral grip... I just think its going to be pretty dominant over the 2015 STi as it should... new model with some old old bones.

5. Handling- as Said above... the RS will probably have a tire advantage, and will road hold higher than the STi... I think the STi might have a stiffer chassis, though, so it may handle better... we don't know enough. I want to say that if it handles as well as the ST, just stiffer and more grip... than yes. It will be a win for the RS.

6. Disregard MPGs. Because Racecar. Probably a Tie.

7. Price: The STi will be the cheaper one in my honest opinion... i just don't see the RS coming in at $35k base. I would love it. But I see the STi having a baseline advantage in the price department... but the Base RS will be much better optioned than the base STI. So Value? That might go the way of the RS, but sheerly price I'll give it to the STI.

So out of 7:

RS: 1+1+.5+1+1+.5 = 5
STi: .5+.5+1 = 2

Pretty easy victory... and Cargo/utility isn't even being question... then it would be 6/2

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think I'm biased, but I think the RS will be an all around better car. The exhaust note and steering wheel are better on the subaru. No one here has driven the RS, but if the transmission feels as sloppy as the ST, I'd say the Subaru's transmission feels more crisp and direct.

The subaru is an awesome car for sure, but I think the RS will out do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've sat in the 2015 STi and the interior was actually very nice, especially when compared to the evo (minus the seats, of course). As far as the interior goes, I'm guessing the RS will take the cake as far as quality goes, or at least it should. As far as the fuel economy goes, the RS will most likely have the STi beat, considering the success in that department with the Focus and the Fiesta. I mean the focus gets an average of (advertised) 32, that's more than the miata I drive right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think I'm biased, but I think the RS will be an all around better car. The exhaust note and steering wheel are better on the subaru. No one here has driven the RS, but if the transmission feels as sloppy as the ST, I'd say the Subaru's transmission feels more crisp and direct.

The subaru is an awesome car for sure, but I think the RS will out do it.
I gotta say that the shifter and transmission on my ST has been flawless! Only one missed shift in 34K miles, smooth as silk. The second best shifter I've owned was a '98 Audi A4 Avant, which had problems cropping up at about 50K with 1st to 2nd shifts, synchro going bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
RS will be better because it will actually work. I know of a few STi owners looking to trade into an RS. STi just has too many gremlins that hamper its performance. (Ringlandsssss)

·
Registered
591 Posts
The STi wins because it has a real dead pedal.

:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. Interior Style - RS
2. Interior Quality - RS, Subaru is known for being pretty stingy with the nice stuff
3. Exterior Style - Since Sub is Sedan only and I could NEVER own a car with that kind of wing, I'll take RS here too
4. Power / Performance - Subaru STI is pretty slow for how its marketed and the price point, if RS isn't faster I'd be shocked.
5. Handling - Can't imagine Subaru losing out here. Too many years of experience on this exact platform. the best RS can hope to do is tie it i'd imagine.
6. Fuel Economy - Sub STI mpgs have always confused the heck out of me. how does a Taurus SHO, way heavier, way more HP, and still AWD get so much better MPG than a STI?
Rs has got to at least tie here.
7. Price - Within cross shopping range either way. If i get more i'll gladly pay more. Guessing 38-40 absolute tops for RS which is what STI launch ed was going for i believe.

·
Registered
141 Posts

1. Interior Style
2. Interior Quality
3. Exterior Style
4. Power / Performance
5. Handling
6. Fuel Economy
7. Price
1. Interior Style

RS has the nicer interior - more modern, yet sleek and de-cluttered like a European car interior (in fact, it IS a Euro car interior). This is not a deal breaker, and I would be content with either car's interior - except for the fact that the STI lacks Recaros. Big failure right there.

2. Interior Quality

The RS looks like it has an edge, and you can probably experience it yourself by sitting in a 2015 Focus ST (which has pretty much the same type of interior).

3. Exterior Style

Subaru dropped the ball and ran away from it. The styling may have evolved towards something more aggressive and tighter, but the lack of a hatchback is a major deal breaker. I cannot see any advantage aside from questionable 'styling' to pick a sedan over a hatchback STI. I don't mind the hood scoop, but I think that the RS' lack of one (due to the FMIC, of course) is a sleeker, more toned down design that greatly appeals to me.

4. Power / Performance

The STI has had the EJ257 in it since 2004 or so, or over 10 years with only a small power bump in 2008 (if I recall correctly). This engine could tell Clint Eastwood to get off its lawn and it busts its pistons / ringlands quite frequently, even at stock levels (thanks to the godawful stock tune). The torque curve on this thing is shallow compared to the FA engine in the lesser WRX. By comparison, the 2.3L EcoBoost on the Mustang was putting out some insane HP and Torque figures on just a stage 1 tune (with no supporting parts), and the 2.3L going into the RS will have upgraded internals to boot, plus a twin scroll low inertia larger compressor turbo.

5. Handling

This.... is up in the air. Chances are that the preemptive torque vectoring AWD gives the Focus the edge when blasting around corners and taking curves, but there is something to be said about the 3 mechanical limited slip diffs that the STI has - plus the STI now has brake based torque vectoring on the front axle.

6. Fuel Economy

RS, no question. For one thing, the EJ257 in the STI is older than the pyramids, and it's a port injected design. The STI also runs AWD full-time torque split of like 41:59, while the RS is said to be able to do 100% FWD when cruising at low loads with little to no steering input. The RS also has start-stop tech, but I'm sort of hoping that it doesn't make it into the NA-bound models.

7. Price.

Dave Pericak has stated that they are acutely aware of the competition, and will absolutely be competitive with the RS. I take that to mean that it'll start at, or maybe *just* below an STI (which starts at $34k or so). I'm cool with that. The RS was stated to sit on a level above that of the Mustang GT / Focus ST / Fiesta ST, and I think the price will reflect that.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I have no doubt in my mind that the RS will be better than the STi. Subaru's EJ257 is old and weak making the same power it can't handle since 2004. When the RS finally comes out its real compition will be the golf 400 R and the hybrid evo when it comes out. Subaru won't do anything significant for another eight years or so.

1 - 20 of 367 Posts
About this Discussion
366 Replies
117 Participants
lflouie
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing