Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit, AWD vs. FWD and 350hp vs. 275hp, I thought is was going to be a blow out... If you want to skip the intro and lead-up, go right to the 9:50 mark for the lap times.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Not that surprised. Nothing on that track that would out work FWD. Real shame is that Ford doesn't offer anything in America to compete against it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome, just saw this one on their channel. Given that the N just won R&T's PCOTY as well, it seems a lot of people and media are taking notice. For a first effort on a dedicated performance line, I have to say Hyundai hit it out of the park with this thing.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So Twinster system is nice to drive with, but does not necessarily translate to faster lap times?

I recall a local review where a RWD BMW 140 lapped quicker than the RS.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My son went shopping for a WRX/STI and came back with a Veloster N performance, he had been driving a tuned TT.
He thinks it a panic to drive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I came from a tuned mazdaspeed3 that is faster in a straight line but gets SLAUGHTERED putting the power down off slower corners. In normal city driving, this, for me, is massive.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have to admit, AWD vs. FWD and 350hp vs. 275hp, I thought is was going to be a blow out... If you want to skip the intro and lead-up, go right to the 9:50 mark for the lap times.

This is the first generation of the N brand and they've already surpassed the GTI and Focus ST. Never thought I'd see the day that a Hyundai would beat VW at their own game but here we are. This car is punching above its weight against the Type R, Subaru STI and Focus RS too.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Is a nice car. A Street prepped one that was running at Franklin, NC was faster than my RS on all-seasons. Well, the pro driver in it was faster, not the co driver. If I was in the market for a FWD again it would likely be one of the top 3 choices I think.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't think awd in the dry really makes sense until over 500whp.. does this surprise anyone? RS w/ drift stick in the snow is something magical. Better than a video game. RS drift mode in the dry is something special too. Good gateway to a proper rwd machine.

·
5,586 Posts
Don't believe everything you read by today's motor journalists.

Goto:
114 and 161 in table and take note of time difference.
Yes the RS is good actually very good in 2019/2020

PS - I am back and yes I still have the RS.
:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
What's more interesting is what rests right next to the RS on that chart with the same lap time; less weight, drive wheels, and power. The type R really is a well balanced piece, if it weren't so f'd up in the styling dept...
And I suspect not as fragile of an engine...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pretty sure id take a random review of a car with a grain of salt. It can always be swayed what ever way they want it to be. Anyone who has tracked their car knows how long it can take to get used to the car, the setup, which mode to have for which track. You can go all day and only get a handful of 'perfect' laps, if that.

You cant jump from one car/setup to another and expect like for like. This guy is chatting most of the time, looking down at things. Not doubting the quality of a N or FWD these days but not going to get blown away by one persons comparison video.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I wish those lightening laps had links to the detail of conditions when a car was run. Temp/humidity and which options a car has as any of those could impact the times run. For the RS I'm not sure if it was on the MPSS or MSC2s, does if have the sunroof?

Edit: I was able to google the details, Cup 2s, and does not appear to have a sunroof. But the base price is not correct for a 2016.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In snow, RS faster? Probably. Way, way more fun? Definitely.

As a daily driver, the RS is a completely different experience in the winter. In the summer, it has so much grip. In the winter, it's a drift missile.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts