Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
ford-focus-rs-001.jpg

by Feann Torr, 27 January 2016

Potentially just 600 Focus RSs coming to Australia this year; most spoken for

If you want a Ford Focus RS in Australia you better get in quick, because they’re being snapped up like hot cakes. Dealer sources told motoring.com.au this morning that of the 600 RSs (approx) that will be coming into Australia in 2016, most, if not all, are already sold.

Deposits of between $1000 and $2000 will put you on the Focus RS wait list but won’t guarantee you a vehicle, they told motoring.com.au. Indeed, one Melbourne dealer said demand could be so high that some deposits may need to be refunded.

Ford Australia is declining to comment in detail on the suggested waitlist, nor indeed the volume of RS that will come Down Under.

Although the new-generation Ford Focus RS is technically not a limited edition model, unlike the previous generation where only 315 came to Australia, production will be capacity limited, sources told motoring.com.au at last week’s international launch.

Built in Germany, at Ford’s Saarlouis plant, the Focus RS models are manufactured in left and right hand drive on the same production line as regular Focus.
During the Ford Focus RS international launch in Spain, Ford Performance’s chief engineer, Tyrone Johnson, said “We are capacity limited.”

To what?

“I can’t tell you that,” he responded but did reveal there are already 3700 pre-orders in Europe.

A senior Ford Europe executive later explained that “If there’s huge demand, we can change things [at the factory], but it’s also not a car that we would want to produce say 50,000 per year.

“There’s also an attraction to having a limited number of cars,” said the Ford exec.

The Ford Focus RS is scheduled to arrive in Australia from mid-year, priced at $50,990 (one of the lowest global prices). It is powered by a tricked-up version of the Mustang’s 2.3-litre turbo-petrol engine belting out 257kW, paired to a six-speed manual and clever new AWD system.

Check out our 2016 Ford Focus RS review, which was awarded 90/100.

When motoring.com.au asked Ford Australia’s Brand Communications Manager, Neil McDonald, if the Australian allocation of Ford Focus RS car for 2016 was indeed 600, he said: “We don’t talk about future product”.

“Sometimes we order 50 cars and get 300,” he said.

McDonald likened the car’s situation to the one currently affecting Ford Mustang, which is facing a 12-month wait list. This has led to scalping by private buyers, who are charging up to $40,000 more than the retail price for a new Mustang.

Will the same happen for the Ford Focus RS?

Ford Focus RS sold out - motoring.com.au

·
5,582 Posts
Very happy with this news.
Cut it back.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
As long as the dealers do the right thing and "your car" is your car. It ain't over til the ___ lady sings as they say...........

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You know the bloke who bought two RS's is laughing his arse off.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And taking a guess the MY17 models in Australia will probably set you back $60k going of the exchange rates not getting any better and I know they lock in the exchange rate on cars for twelve months which is usually redone come the new financial year which for us Aussies is July. If I'm wrong so be it and please let me know.

·
Registered
669 Posts
That's all fine as long as they honour our pre order contracts.They better not be refunding mine I hope.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's all fine as long as they honour our pre order contracts.They better not be refunding mine I hope.
Think you'll find from what I've been researching and putting together the dealer allocation allocations in Australia is actual orders the dealers have put in, based on what they think they can sell 12 months in advance. I only have a paper contract but that is based of the fact the system won't allow the dealers to do allocate cars to buyers in the Ford system at the moment, however when I paid the deposit they started the cooling of period so that ended before December did and under contract law namely "promissory estoppel" it will be deliver it or pay me compensation.

·
5,582 Posts
No question about it... I do believe as Schultz said price will increase come July 1st.

This will probably reduce the orders thereby making our cars special. I hope the factory alarm will protect my RS from thieves; jealous dirtbags cause there will be rage and there will be envy..

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I think the paranoia's setting in - over the last hour I've been thinking of ways to keep my dealer sweet, as they have only got one allocation and it's mine. However, there are others behind me that have put money down and no car if that article is correct. Sooooo, I might just find out what coffee my dealer likes and make a few trips between now and July with some takeaways for a chat over coffee.........

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hopefully what Schultz is saying is correct our dealers have already placed orders and we have simply purchased from each dealers allocation as expected. Let's hope there is no funny business with people jumping the queue.

·
5,582 Posts
I want invite to when the first RS arrives in Oz.
The camera will get a huge twin scroll workout....:p

·
Registered
306 Posts
Guys - a signed contract is pretty bloody water tight. I'm sure Ford have a sneaky little get out of jail clause if they really needed it, but this forum could muster a reasonable amount of outrage should a member get stiffed.
A limited release tells me that they're looking after the ongoing value of the RS branding and yes I am positive the price will climb next year. In the meantime, ill be clutching my contract and giggling in a dark corner until July.

·
Registered
669 Posts
True, let's stop being paranoid and be thankful for all the awesome reviews and that we are in a position to own one of the hottest cars available right now.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have a 'stock number' with my contract, however if someone provides a deposit for an unalllocated vehicle, then that is an 'offer'. The signed contract - still remembering that this is on an unallocated vehicle - is the 'acceptance' and the nominated vehicle (irrespective of being unallocated) is the 'consideration'. Therefore, the depositor to the unallocated vehicle, technically has a contract as well.

I don't mean to spread the paranoia, but does anyone else have a stock number with their contract?.........

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
OK thanks guys, just checked my paperwork and I have a deal number and the stock number is in the 'Special Conditions' section, which would have been manually input.

And guys, I would still be fully confident that if you were first in line and told by the dealer you have an allocated vehicle, the dealer will do the right thing by you. They have a reputation to maintain and this is not the first time that vehicles have been hyped. It's been going on at certain times for decades. Always good to keep in touch with them though, because in the business they're in they value the relationship and they value the concept of repeat business. Plus, we can't wait to get any morsel of an update!..............

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think the paranoia's setting in - over the last hour I've been thinking of ways to keep my dealer sweet, as they have only got one allocation and it's mine. However, there are others behind me that have put money down and no car if that article is correct. Sooooo, I might just find out what coffee my dealer likes and make a few trips between now and July with some takeaways for a chat over coffee.........
I agree and believe keeping your dealer as your friend works best for both parties. Never hurts to show your interested ( besides becoming annoying) and building a long term business partnership with your dealer. At they end of the day all car manufacturers are climbing over each other to get our business, Ford in particular. Given the standards they are trying to set with their dealers I couldn't imagine Ford would be to impressed if stories got into the press about false promises and delivery timing from their dealer network.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
21 Participants
dejchoj
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing