Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
RS Rear.png

Hey Forum members, some of you know my new Focus RS arrived last week, and I am having a blast breaking her in!

With all the questions going around about owners taking delivery Stateside, I wanted to share the review I did for Art of Gears. Car only had 300 miles on it when I wrote it, but hopefully it will answer some of the questions about my break-in and how fun the RS is to drive! For the forum member's that are still on the fence about purchasing (or waiting for delivery), I can tell you it really is worth the wait!

I am now 600 miles in, and still smiling from ear to ear :eek:nthego:

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Ford Focus RS SoCal Owners Review - Art of Gears

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's the typical break in I have always followed as well, read the same article some time ago. I am so relived to hear the car is a different "beast" after 100-150 miles as I've been driving it for 2 days and have not been that impressed on power. That being said I couldn't tell if the car was slow (imo, driving 700+ whp Ls cars ruins your life lol) or just felt slow because it was so smooth if that makes sense.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well it's well written which is nice. But you didn't actually comment on what it's like to drive other than "it's fun".

What's the ride quality like? Is it rough? How does it feel on your drives to work? Is it loud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks so much for taking the time for your review. Very informative. I have a question about your approach to breaking in a new car. I've read several pieces that all claim both hard accelerating and heavy engine braking are necessary to optimally seat the rings, which puts your approach at odds with everything I've read to date. I'm very inexperienced in this area, so please explain the rationale for why you so strongly recommend against engine braking during new engine break-in.

·
Super Moderator
16,747 Posts
@GearzRS

Keep us all filled in and informed with updates for those of us still waiting for delivery.

Reactions: GearzRS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's well written which is nice. But you didn't actually comment on what it's like to drive other than "it's fun".

What's the ride quality like? Is it rough? How does it feel on your drives to work? Is it loud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kung Fu, thx. Since I didn't have very many miles on the car at the time I wrote it, and was focusing more on break-in miles, I wrote more of a "first impressions" review.
Once I am done with break-in I will be doing an actual "driving" review.

-To answer your questions, I really like the ride quality. There is a switch to change the suspension to "sport" on the left turn signal, and it really stiffens up the vehicle. I tired it driving to work and on the freeway it is a little rough (bouncy) in that mode, but will be great for the track.

-Love driving it to work.

-It is not loud at speed under normal driving conditions, but if you put it in sport mode with traction control set to sport, that is when the fun begins. You can hear the burbles upon deceleration and sounds great. Scared me the first couple times though. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Good stuff. Would be nice to see a hard break in vs break is as per manual dynoed back to back. I'm willing to bet the hard break in would net more power. That being said keep in mind ford knows how hard your driving it as it sends data info back to ford. Your not supose to know that tho.

Reactions: GearzRS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for taking the time for your review. Very informative. I have a question about your approach to breaking in a new car. I've read several pieces that all claim both hard accelerating and heavy engine braking are necessary to optimally seat the rings, which puts your approach at odds with everything I've read to date. I'm very inexperienced in this area, so please explain the rationale for why you so strongly recommend against engine braking during new engine break-in.
Thx man, appreciate it. I am definitely not an expert in this area either, I have just always followed the recommendations from the article I referenced in my review. The article suggests hard acceleration, going through the gears, and then releasing the load and coasting back down to normal speed. In my personal opinion, with the way these engines are built today, it all comes down to personal preference on how you want to break-in your own engine. Even if you follow the manual to a "T", you are going to be ok. I can PM you the link to the article if you want it. :smile-new:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could this break in simply be bringing the ecu more quickly closer to the more aggressive areas of the mappings. I am thinking that the ecu out of the factory is using conservative timing values. Regardless of that breakin method, eventually an ecu will optimize its settings,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Imo I agree the timing values may be conservative, I also noted that when switching between say normal and sport drive mode and track under light throttle you can definitely feel the car change, maybe I'm crazy.
Also @GearzRS when you say the car get louder in sport mode with the traction control in sport mode, do you mean you run drive mode sport, then do something with the traction button and it gets louder than just being in sport drive mode?I wasn't aware it had a traction sport mode thought it was just on or off then hold to turn stability off

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Adrenalin9150, Yeah I think you asked what I meant to say. I press drive mode first to put it in sport, and then I press the traction button. When you press the traction button once, it gives you a quick display indicator on the dash that shows switching to "Sport mode".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts