Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
1.jpg

Ford Focus RS Pre-Orders Are Selling Like Hot Cakes

Source: Jalopnik

Ford should have no concern for demand of their new super-hot hatch 2016 Focus RS. According to UK pre-orders, the company has sold over 1,000 models since the car’s unveiling just last month. That’s what happens when you fit a button labeled “Drift Mode” to a car.

Adding in the 500 orders placed before the show, the total is somewhere around 1,500 - and that’s just UK models. Ford hasn’t announced U.S. numbers for the RS yet, but it’s a safe bet we can at least double the amount. That’s pretty good for a car nobody has really driven yet.

According to Carscoops, the UK orders have a pattern in the their specifications:

As expected, people who ordered the Focus RS had pretty specific tastes. Although the car features an extensive list of standard equipment, many went for optional extras.

“We expected those first in the queue, many of whom are owners of previous RS models, to be exacting about their requirements, and so it has proved, with many opting for motorsport-style Recaro shell front seats, 19-inch black forged alloy wheels, luxury pack, electric tilt/side sunroof and Ford SYNC2 navigation and sound system,” said Andy Barratt, Ford of Britain chairman and managing director.

Hey, if I were spending over forty grand (in the UK) on a sporty hatchback, it’d be pouring with the all-out sporty kit fitted, too.

The Ford Focus RS Will Have 350 Horsepower, 350 Pound-Feet Of Torque

The 2016 Ford Focus RS is set to be a drift king–it even has a button for getting sideways. But now …
Read more

The Smoking Tire host Matt Farah claims to be the first one in L.A. to get an order in after the books opened in the U.S., from his Facebook:

Woop Woop! Focus RS Order Banks are open and my order is in! Galpin Ford hooking it up for me with the first one in LA! Nitrous Blue, RS2 Package, Black 19” Forged Wheels, Pilot Super Sport Tires.

Drift mode, engage.

I expect many many hours of content with it, Matt.

Deliveries of the Focus RS should begin around Spring 2016, and are expected to be heard approaching from a least a mile away in a cloud of tire smoke.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
I've yet to see this "drift button" in any interior picture I've seen... But on the RS1 without the heated wheel it would be cool to have a user stored configuration button in its place. Allow the user to store a custom configuration of drive mode, exhaust and suspension to that button to reduce key presses after restarting the car to get the desired setup. Would be great at auto-x where you stop between each run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've yet to see this "drift button" in any interior picture I've seen... But on the RS1 without the heated wheel it would be cool to have a user stored configuration button in its place. Allow the user to store a custom configuration of drive mode, exhaust and suspension to that button to reduce key presses after restarting the car to get the desired setup. Would be great at auto-x where you stop between each run.
Then you havent been looking close enough. lol.

The button has the word "Mode" on it and it is next to the shifter. On the dash where you would normally see mileage, once you press the "Mode" button, the center dashboard display will show you one of the 3 or 4 modes that the car has. One of them being Drift. It changes the way the car transfers power to the rear wheels.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Then you havent been looking close enough. lol.

The button has the word "Mode" on it and it is next to the shifter. On the dash where you would normally see mileage, once you press the "Mode" button, the center dashboard display will show you one of the 3 or 4 modes that the car has. One of them being Drift. It changes the way the car transfers power to the rear wheels.
That is a "Drive Mode" button, it does not exclusively set Drift Mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a "Drive Mode" button, it does not exclusively set Drift Mode.
You do have a point because Drive Mode sets the car from Normal to Sport and other options in between. But once in Sport mode, you get the option under AWD Menu to set the car to "Drift". Or that's what the video makes it seem like. Check it out.

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, that's a butt-ton of button presses to get where I'll want to be every time I start her up. "Slots" like the APV3, where you just go from custom program to custom program would be nice. I don't think Ford is there yet, at least at this price point. If this were a Tesla I'm sure it would be standard fare, but a Tesla is like $115k.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah, that's a butt-ton of button presses to get where I'll want to be every time I start her up. "Slots" like the APV3, where you just go from custom program to custom program would be nice. I don't think Ford is there yet, at least at this price point. If this were a Tesla I'm sure it would be standard fare, but a Tesla is like $115k.

Legally they can not do that. I haven't read the US version of the law but for whatever reason at the time I did read the Australian version which I think is the same. All cars must have stability control and the car must also start in a mode that meets those requirements. This means the car cannot default to any mode that does not meet the legislated ESC requirements (i.e. drift mode, sport mode, ESC OFF). Showing the ESC tell tale is also mandatory when not in a mode that meets the requirements. The reason for this is, sure maybe you wanted the car in drift mode, but suppose you let someone borrow your car and you forget to tell them that essentially ESC is off. They may potentially cause an accident because it was off.

So it's not a matter of having the tech to do it, it's simply not legal for an OEM. Obviously, Cobb AP doesn't have to send modified cars for NHTSA certification so they can do whatever they want.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very curious to hear what the final production numbers will be. Ford is playing the marketing wisely by making supply appear very limited, with a car this hot I'd be surprised if they don't ramp up production.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Legally they can not do that. I haven't read the US version of the law but for whatever reason at the time I did read the Australian version which I think is the same. All cars must have stability control and the car must also start in a mode that meets those requirements. This means the car cannot default to any mode that does not meet the legislated ESC requirements (i.e. drift mode, sport mode, ESC OFF). Showing the ESC tell tale is also mandatory when not in a mode that meets the requirements. The reason for this is, sure maybe you wanted the car in drift mode, but suppose you let someone borrow your car and you forget to tell them that essentially ESC is off. They may potentially cause an accident because it was off.

So it's not a matter of having the tech to do it, it's simply not legal for an OEM. Obviously, Cobb AP doesn't have to send modified cars for NHTSA certification so they can do whatever they want.
Isn't that what MyKey is for? Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
14RRST
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing