Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I think it’s all dealership dependent. We have 3 Fords and we take them to the same dealership and request the same tech to work on our vehicles. Have always felt like we were treated fairly and that they actually care. My P050A code is driving him nuts right now but he’s trying, along with Ford, to get it figured out. They’ve ‘owned‘ the problem since day 1. Another dealership might be completely different.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I think it’s all dealership dependent. We have 3 Fords and we take them to the same dealership and request the same tech to work on our vehicles. Have always felt like we were treated fairly and that they actually care. My P050A code is driving him nuts right now but he’s trying, along with Ford, to get it figured out. They’ve ‘owned‘ the problem since day 1. Another dealership might be completely different.
We have two dealers 33 mi. apart. At mine, the owner is a Christian, the other are murders.
edit: that is a little strong. Let’s call them racketeers with a blue oval.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
We have two dealers 33 mi. apart. At mine, the owner is a Christian, the other are murders.
edit: that is a little strong. Let’s call them racketeers with a blue oval.
Thats fair enough. I only use the local dealership for oil changes and stuff.

The dealer I love is however, roughly an hour a way at high traffic times, and about 25m away when the roads are clear. I go to them for all real work I need done.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
If that was in California that would be covered. You can even reach out to the California Air Resource Board if there is a dispute.

CARB is double sided sword though.

·
Registered
2016 RS2
344 Posts
Unfortunately your not the only one who had to pay for this... I did have the idle stumble... not covered... such a piss off...

·
Registered
Sept/2016
343 Posts
I'd tell you to complain to Ford, but this car has proven to me they just don't give a ****.

Ford service sucks. Ford Canada Sucks even harder. This is the last Ford I will ever buy.
Had the worst experience ever w/ Ford Canada with my ST. Thing would leak through the doors when I washed it. They said I was washing the car wrong lmao.

Fast forward to the RS, and things have actually been "OKAY" HG replaced, then the block cracked. Brand new long block without a question (custom tuned, wga etc etc) got a new subwoofer, 2 new wheel bearings... But I can still say, without any hesitation that Ford reps suck. I had to show them in their own warranty manual that wheel bearings were covered under powertrain. All in all, warranty is always half baked.

PS- They don't fix ****ty paint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ford took car of me. Was driving the RS('17) back in July and had a check engine light come on. Took it to my local dealer and they told me it was the purge valve. The car was still under the 3/36. Although, it did take a few weeks to get the part in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A few of us have chatted about this code over on this thread: P144C Code. . If the dealership gives you grief and you have to purchase the valve on your own dime, it's easy to replace.

I ordered the valve on Amazon a while back and just replaced it in August about a week before a couple of track days. I haven't had any issues since, and it took less than an hour to replace.

Link to part on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-BV6Z-9D289-Vapor-Canister-Solenoid/dp/B00M37Q23W .. What's odd, that I noticed now, is that the listing on Amazon has been updated to say "solenoid", which is inaccurate; if it were the solenoid, it'd be, by my understanding, farther back, and perhaps a PITA to replace, IIRC from the workshop manual. Additionally, if it were the solenoid, you'd get an error code of P144A, not C.

·
Registered
2017 NB Focus RS; RS2, Sunroof, FP exhaust, Mountune IC, DSC Sport suspension, Livernois tune.
122 Posts
I just had mine replaced under warranty this week. The car has a tune (Livernois), and I told the service tech that when I dropped off the car. (I didn't want them to freak when the "Launch Control Unavailable" warning popped up when the car starts. (My tune permanently enables Launch Control.)

Frankly, I was expecting the part not to be covered. (Apple Ford in Columbia, MD, if anyone is wondering.)

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where exactly is this part located on the car?

Lately ive been having this squeak right when I release the clutch and put a bit of gas... right around 5-10kph, ill hear this bird chirp coming from the back of the exhaust or under the rear driver side wheel..

I mentioned it to a Ford tech, and he was making it seem theres another canister located under the exhaust which is a ***** to get too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Where exactly is this part located on the car?

Lately ive been having this squeak right when I release the clutch and put a bit of gas... right around 5-10kph, ill hear this bird chirp coming from the back of the exhaust or under the rear driver side wheel..

I mentioned it to a Ford tech, and he was making it seem theres another canister located under the exhaust which is a * to get too.
Yes, the part which the Ford tech referred to is the solenoid. The valve is in the engine bay and with the right, common tools, can be replaced under an hour.
  • Part which the tech referred to and will make some people cry to replace = DTC code P144A
  • Part which is the valve and takes less than an hour to replace = DTC code P144C
To answer your question, the valve is a part which, if looking at the engine from the front of the car, starts on your left side (passenger right), wraps around the front of the engine block and terminates on the right (driver left). In the workshop manual, it is section 303-13D, titled "Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve", and has a Base Part Number of 9D289.

·
Registered
21 Posts
  • Part which the tech referred to and will make some people cry to replace = DTC code P144A

• Is there any way to make this chirp go away without doing that big job? When the service guy quoted me how long it would take for a "maybe fix" I ran outta there quite quick haha

·
Registered
281 Posts
@ksimms33 - So you're getting a chirp, but have no check engine light..? If so.. man, that's gonna be hard to isolate over the Internet, at least for me... Do you have a Go Pro or some other camera (jebus not your iPhone) you can securely mount back there and post? Otherwise, you might just punt to the dealer / tech if it's still under warranty and drive a Fiesta for a few days or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep, my '17 with 31K miles has had the P144c engine check light on for a couple months now. I'm gonna assume its covered up to 60K miles. Will bring it in someday and also to fix the weeping oil leak from the head gasket change a couple years ago. Question is what will they brake or fvk up fixing it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
@ksimms33 - So you're getting a chirp, but have no check engine light..? If so.. man, that's gonna be hard to isolate over the Internet, at least for me... Do you have a Go Pro or some other camera (jebus not your iPhone) you can securely mount back there and post? Otherwise, you might just punt to the dealer / tech if it's still under warranty and drive a Fiesta for a few days or something.
Ill try to post a video in the near future but nope no check engine

·
Registered
240 Posts
A few of us have chatted about this code over on this thread: P144C Code. . If the dealership gives you grief and you have to purchase the valve on your own dime, it's easy to replace.

I ordered the valve on Amazon a while back and just replaced it in August about a week before a couple of track days. I haven't had any issues since, and it took less than an hour to replace.

Link to part on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ford-BV6Z-9D289-Vapor-Canister-Solenoid/dp/B00M37Q23W .. What's odd, that I noticed now, is that the listing on Amazon has been updated to say "solenoid", which is inaccurate; if it were the solenoid, it'd be, by my understanding, farther back, and perhaps a PITA to replace, IIRC from the workshop manual. Additionally, if it were the solenoid, you'd get an error code of P144A, not C.
Would this one work?

Rock auto, looks to be the correct part number and half the price.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I dropped my car off at dealership for a CEL P144C and assumed it would be covered by emissions warranty. They told me they ran the part they needed to replace, canister purge valve, in the system and it didn't come up as covered by any warranty, recall, or TSB. I said, you're telling me this emissions part that is clearly part of the emissions evaporative control system is not covered by emissions warranty??? they said they'll give me the print out of their system to prove it to me. Should this part that has been on the 2 recalls (2019,2018) not be covered under warranty? I have a 2017 RS 21k miles.
This might help you to take to the Dealership

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
It is not really hard to replace. I replaced mine in about an hour when it failed. (no warranty)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep, my '17 with 31K miles has had the P144c engine check light on for a couple months now. I'm gonna assume its covered up to 60K miles. Will bring it in someday and also to fix the weeping oil leak from the head gasket change a couple years ago. Question is what will they brake or fvk up fixing it!
Well fvk, just went down to the stealership to have them check this P144C, look into oil leak, and change oil. The P144C is not covered under the 5yr 60K powertrain warranty. Told them to not touch the P144C issue. Lets see what a $hit show the oil leak will be and what they charge me to confirm Yes, its leaking oil. That leak should be covered since I only got 35K miles on it. But they will never find it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts