Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my car off at dealership for a CEL P144C and assumed it would be covered by emissions warranty. They told me they ran the part they needed to replace, canister purge valve, in the system and it didn't come up as covered by any warranty, recall, or TSB. I said, you're telling me this emissions part that is clearly part of the emissions evaporative control system is not covered by emissions warranty??? they said they'll give me the print out of their system to prove it to me. Should this part that has been on the 2 recalls (2019,2018) not be covered under warranty? I have a 2017 RS 21k miles.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
It is definitely an emissions warranty item, so don't let them bullsh*t you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea it blows my mind that they are telling me the real issue is the part doesn't come up under Emissions warranty or whatever bull that is. I don't know how you escalate something like this. Ford customer support says it's the dealership's job to verify this. My wife already paid the $411 just so we can get our car back and stop paying their rental fee.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope this helps. Not sure about the recalls that were referenced.
Thanks for that. I did see that and how it would be included under Emissions evaporative control system. They handed me their fordtechservice.dealerconnections.com system printout of how they check if a part or engine code is covered under warranty and because it didn't register anything they have to charge me for it. I don't know how to fight this. It's like so obvious yet they are just saying this emissions part is not covered by emissions warranty. I think their system just doesn't check for FSA.

20201203_121200.jpg 20201203_120859.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for that. I did see that and how it would be included under Emissions evaporative control system. They handed me their fordtechservice.dealerconnections.com system printout of how they check if a part or engine code is covered under warranty and because it didn't register anything they have to charge me for it. I don't know how to fight this. It's like so obvious yet they are just saying this emissions part is not covered by emissions warranty. I think their system just doesn't check for FSA.

View attachment 347406 View attachment 347407
I had the purge valves replaced on both my 18 ST last year and just recently on my 18 RS. Oddly enough the idle would stumble after a gas fill up on the ST. The RS just had a check engine light, no idle stumbles. Dealership replaced both under warranty no questions ask.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It’s like dealing with any auto manufacturer, we’re at their mercy. I’d go to Ford’s website and chat with someone who might agree(?) that the part is a component of the Evaporative Emission Control System . If they Do agree, take a screenshot and show it to the dealer. It’s like dealing with an insurance company, the first answer is always ‘no’. Sometimes it’s also ‘no’ the second and third times.

Also, you mentioned that your wife paid the $411 service bill. Do you let her drive your RS ????

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the purge valves replaced on both my 18 ST last year and just recently on my 18 RS. Oddly enough the idle would stumble after a gas fill up on the ST. The RS just had a check engine light, no idle stumbles. Dealership replaced both under warranty no questions ask.
I think there was an actual recall for 2018 RS for that.

October 22, 2018 NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V735000
Stuck Canister Purge Valve may Cause Stall
The excessive vaccuum may result in an engine stall while driving, without warning and without the ability to restart the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V735000

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company

Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Potential Number of Units Affected 1,282,596

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2012-2018 Ford Focus vehicles with a 2.0L GDI or 2.0L GTDI engine. The Canister Purge Valve (CPV) may malfunction, possibly causing excessive vacuum in fuel vapor management system.

Remedy

Ford will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the Powertrain Control Module. Dealers will also check for fault codes and replace the CPV as needed. If the CPV is replaced, dealers will inspect and replace the carbon canister, fuel tank and fuel delivery module as necessary. The recall began August 19, 2019. Owners may contact Ford Customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 18S32. Note: Until the vehicle is serviced for this concern, owners are advised to keep the fuel tank at least halfway full.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

7 Affected Products

17 Associated Documents

Request Research (Services fees apply)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s like dealing with any auto manufacturer, we’re at their mercy. I’d go to Ford’s website and chat with someone who might agree(?) that the part is a component of the Evaporative Emission Control System . If they Do agree, take a screenshot and show it to the dealer. It’s like dealing with an insurance company, the first answer is always ‘no’. Sometimes it’s also ‘no’ the second and third times.

Also, you mentioned that your wife paid the $411 service bill. Do you let her drive your RS ????
yea I was trying to figure out how to live chat someone but can't find the link. The first person I talked to at Ford customer support kept saying she couldn't be the one to make the decision if the purge valve is a emissions component or is covered. I'll try seeing if another customer rep is more helpful

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Don't pay it. Escalate to the regional manager. Bring the printout from the Ford Website with you.

Reactions: crepr12

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't pay it. Escalate to the regional manager. Bring the printout from the Ford Website with you.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury to wait it out and needed the car back. I'll see if I can get a hold of a regional manager for that dealership. Chances of reimbursement probably low.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury to wait it out and needed the car back. I'll see if I can get a hold of a regional manager for that dealership. Chances of reimbursement probably low.
Call Ford Service and complain.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
I hope this isn’t the case...but...I can imagine, the RS being a car Ford Corp. wishes it had never approved.
It might be a “Don’t go away mad, just go away” mindset.
Worldwide, it could be cheaper to lose you as a return customer.
I‘d be surprised if there aren’t people crunching those kind of numbers.
Keep after them, politely but doggedly.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I'd tell you to complain to Ford, but this car has proven to me they just don't give a ****.

FWIW my evap purge valve was replaced "under warranty", and a month later they called me back to say the repair order was never closed and I was now on the hook for all the work they performed. (emissions control warranty is mandated by law when the car is under 8y/130k km)

The car is at the dealership right now because it shuts itself off driving down the road and the interior lighting circuit blows a fuse. The cause? Short in the sun visor. Not covered by warranty(extended or factory), and according to the service department it wasn't my fault either. It's just defective, but it's an item not covered by warranty. It took 3 dealerships and 3 years for them to find it.

Ford service sucks. Ford Canada sucks even harder. This is the last Ford I will ever buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It very well may be a "Don't disappear frantic, simply disappear" mentality.

Around the world, it very well may be less expensive to lose you as a bring client back.192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf

I'd be astounded if there aren't individuals crunching those sort of numbers.

Keep after them, amiably yet stubbornly.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'd tell you to complain to Ford, but this car has proven to me they just don't give a ****.

FWIW my evap purge valve was replaced "under warranty", and a month later they called me back to say the repair order was never closed and I was now on the hook for all the work they performed. (emissions control warranty is mandated by law when the car is under 8y/130k km, but they're shady and do not care)

The car is at the dealership right now because it shuts itself off driving down the road and the interior lighting circuit blows a fuse. The cause? Short in the sun visor. Not covered by warranty(extended or factory), and according to the service department it wasn't my fault either. It's just defective, but it's an item not covered by warranty.

Ford service sucks. This is the last Ford I will ever buy.
I've been thinking about buying another Ford for the lady of the house, but I don't want to hassle with dealerships anymore (Honda included). I suppose it's off to Tesla I go! I don't think she'll fight me on getting her a Model 3 Performance, and keeping the minivan for road trips and as my winter ride.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
It very well may be a "Don't disappear frantic, simply disappear" mentality.

Around the world, it very well may be less expensive to lose you as a bring client back.

I'd be astounded if there aren't individuals crunching those sort of numbers.

Keep after them, amiably yet stubbornly.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Unfortunately in this case, its a fairly clear from Ford's documentation its covered under warranty. To be even clearer, I'd go get your owners kit. The emissions warranty statement should be in that manual.

And if its IN the manual as a covered item, the dealer MUST honor it. If they do not, they have broken their contractual agreement with Ford. So at that point, you need to get Ford to go after the dealer.

If its after the fact, you need to fight it and get your money back.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
The picture of this page was posted earlier. But here is the direct link.

What is Covered?
For your vehicle if these parts contain an emissions-related defect, they are covered by both the Emissions Defect Warranty and the Emissions Performance Warranty.
• Air Flow Sensor
• Air/Fuel Feedback Control System and Sensors
• Air Induction System
• Catalytic Converters (including Selective Catalytic Reduction and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts)
• Cold Start Enrichment System (diesel only)
• Controls for Deceleration (diesel only)
• Diesel Exhaust Fluid System
• Diesel Particulate Filter
• Electronic Ignition System (diesel only)
• Electronic Engine Control Sensors and Switches
• Powertrain Control Module (PCM)/Engine Control Module (ECM)(includes hardware and emissions related software changes only)
Evaporative Emission Control System
• Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System
• Exhaust Manifold
• Exhaust Pipe (Manifold to Catalyst)
• Fuel Filler Tube and Seal (non-diesel only)
• Fuel Injection System
• Fuel Injector Supply Manifold
• Fuel Tank (non-diesel only)
• Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve
• Ignition Coil and/or Control Module
• Intake Manifold
• Intercooler Assembly - Engine Charger
• Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) System
• PCV system and Oil Filler Cap
• Secondary Air Injection System
• Spark Control Components
• Spark Plugs and Ignition Wires
• Thermostat
• Throttle Body Assembly (MFI)
• Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Solenoids
• Turbocharger Assembly
• Vacuum Distribution System
For important warranty details and exclusions, or full details about coverage under California requirements for emissions control, contact your dealer or see your Warranty Guide.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've been thinking about buying another Ford for the lady of the house, but I don't want to hassle with dealerships anymore (Honda included). I suppose it's off to Tesla I go! I don't think she'll fight me on getting her a Model 3 Performance, and keeping the minivan for road trips and as my winter ride.
Consumer Reports rates the 2021 Tesla model S as one of the best in class.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts