Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find anything related to this in the search tab but my apologies in advance if this was already discussed.

I recently stopped by Ford to grab coolant to top off the reservoir and was told Motorcraft had replaced their orange coolant with yellow coolant as of Jan 2020. Both the dealer and Motorcraft confirm there is no issue using yellow to top off reservoir with orange still in system. Im unfamiliar with coolant types and also fords history of going back and forth with their coolant color so just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has concerns. Thanks!

Link from Motorcraft: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,231 Posts
I couldn't find anything related to this in the search tab but my apologies in advance if this was already discussed.

I recently stopped by Ford to grab coolant to top off the reservoir and was told Motorcraft had replaced their orange coolant with yellow coolant as of Jan 2020. Both the dealer and Motorcraft confirm there is no issue using yellow to top off reservoir with orange still in system. Im unfamiliar with coolant types and also fords history of going back and forth with their coolant color so just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has concerns. Thanks!

Link from Motorcraft: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/FCSD Motorcraft Yellow Antifreeze-Coolant Backward Compatability.pdf
I can confirm this, as I discovered this a couple months ago and posted it in the post-head gasket replacement thread here: Post head gasket install review and other issues thread and posted the differences (with pictures) here: Post head gasket install review and other issues thread
There was no official documentation at that point, which I assume is because the change was still fairly new at the time. I was able to score some original Orange coolant from one of my local dealers, but stock was definitely dwindling. So I went out of my way to pick one up to top off my reservoir. I didn't feel comfortable trusting "the word" of any dealer that said you could mix them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can confirm this, as I discovered this a couple months ago and posted it in the post-head gasket replacement thread here: Post head gasket install review and other issues thread and posted the differences (with pictures) here: Post head gasket install review and other issues thread
There was no official documentation at that point, which I assume is because the change was still fairly new at the time. I was able to score some original Orange coolant from one of my local dealers, but stock was definitely dwindling. So I went out of my way to pick one up to top off my reservoir. I didn't feel comfortable trusting "the word" of any dealer that said you could mix them.
@ Si2RS -
The guy in parts didn’t even know what an RS was or about the coolant change until I asked. I called around to other Fords but seemed like everyone was hesitant in saying it was fine. I trust the Motorceaft statement enough to get me back home from the trip I am on and have the time to look further into it. Thanks

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Can confirm, this is the case. I too recently went in to the Ford parts department and was told that the orange coolant is no longer available and has been replaced by the yellow. Parts guy says it's something to do with GM having a similar orange coolant which isn't compatible with the Ford radiators but is being used by some shops and customers.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,231 Posts
@ Si2RS -
The guy in parts didn’t even know what an RS was or about the coolant change until I asked. I called around to other Fords but seemed like everyone was hesitant in saying it was fine. I trust the Motorceaft statement enough to get me back home from the trip I am on and have the time to look further into it. Thanks
Yeah. Seeing that document from Motorcraft, I'd be fine topping off with the yellow knowing they've officially confirmed it now. So you should be good!

Reactions: micklee18

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
How much is it per gallon?

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Is that infused with nitrous?!

Damn!

·
Registered
2016 RS2
271 Posts
I paid half that CAD for the orange 50/50... I did get a deal though

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I don't usually buy 50/50 coolant as its definitely cheaper to buy the concentrated one since you can buy a gallon distilled water and have 2 gallons of coolant.

If you want the concentrated gallon or drum part number: https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/resources/motorcraftpdf/Coolants_Brochure.pdf

Amazon has the 50/50 and for $22+, free shipping with Prime.

RockAuto has 50/50 cheaper... but shipping sucks.... cost more total.

Ebay has it the concentrated, if you buy 2 gallons it's $60 shipped(+cost of distilled water)... but you'll get 4 gallons out of it so $16 per gallon.

Reactions: micklee18

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't usually buy 50/50 coolant as its definitely cheaper to buy the concentrated one since you can buy a gallon distilled water and have 2 gallons of coolant.

If you want the concentrated gallon or drum part number: https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/ford-parts/resources/motorcraftpdf/Coolants_Brochure.pdf

Amazon has the 50/50 and for $22+, free shipping with Prime.

RockAuto has 50/50 cheaper... but shipping sucks.... cost more total.

Ebay has it the concentrated, if you buy 2 gallons it's $60 shipped(+cost of distilled water)... but you'll get 4 gallons out of it so $16 per gallon.
I would not recommend buying the distilled water - most of the one that is sold in stores has "minerals added for taste" so it would be best if you have a reverse osmosis system and get the water that way.

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I would not recommend buying the distilled water - most of the one that is sold in stores has "minerals added for taste" so it would be best if you have a reverse osmosis system and get the water that way.
I used to buy Peak (same manufacturer of the coolant) distilled water for mixing coolants.

Just keep and eye on the distilled (not mineral) water, as @dejan indicated to not have additional stuff on it (some would even say for small appliance) or de-ionized water as the concentrated coolant is requiring.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Looks like it has longer change out intervals at 10 years or 200,000 miles and 5 years and 100,000 mile thereafter. The orange stuff I'm sure from memory wont go 10 years, 8 from memory.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Prestone Orange also meets the Ford spec. I expect that all Dex-Cool coolant will, but Prestone says that their Orange coolant meets/exceeds the spec:

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I guess I waited too long, I can't find any more orange coolant.

Amazon/RockAutto/Ebay don't have them anymore....... well there is a guy on ebay that has concentrated 3 quarts for $15, pickup only.

I guess I'll end up to do a complete flush and fill when I do my radiator for fill it up with Yellow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stupid question: What happens if you mix 2 coolants that are questionably compatible?? Do they congeal? Or not work? Or explode? Is there a lubricating component to coolant?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts