Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I live in IL, I have never seen these pumps.

Granted, the concept isn't super unusual.

Most gas stations only have two tanks for Regular and Premium. To get Mid-grade they blend Regular and Premium together.
I work for one of the companies that just started using/installing these. We have 3 gas stations with them in the bloomington/normal area.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wanted to show everyone the difference between CA 91 octane and an E30 blend with the RS. I know this is VDyno but compared to FSWerks' dynojet, my VDyno logs have always been +/- 2%, confirming that it is at least a good tool to track tuning progression.
As we all know, it's not just peak numbers but area under the curve, and I think this graph speaks volumes to both. The only mods I have are a high-flow filter, Magnaflow catback, and NGK 1-step colder spark plugs. The blue graph was of the final revision of my 91 map in 85+ degree San Diego weather. The red graph is of the 2nd revision of my E30 map. All logging takes place on the same street under similar conditions. I also account for weight and temperatures accordingly.
I just wanted to share with everyone the difference of a knock-resistant fuel against California's awful 91 octane. View attachment 188361
I'm in L.A. and I know exactly what you mean. My vdyno graphs are also within 2% of my dynojet numbers and I see a huge difference when I run e30 as opposed to 91 oct.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OP that's fantastic,

Can I ask, on a Cobb AP, and E-tuning?
~2-2.5 gal of E85 to a tank?

I run ~3gal of E85 on my Subie v7 and it's fantastic stuff, been running it for years....
To respond to this and others' comments, yes I'm tuned using the AP with one of the most popular vendors (to remain unnamed for now, because of my last thread.) Tuners will tell you to maintain your use of a particular fuel station as frequently as possible, especially during the tuning phase. The labels on San Diego-area ethanol pumps say actual ethanol contentl is like E65-E73 (random, I know) but a pump in the next county over reads "at least E70" and I've comfirmed that this pump is managed by the same fuel provider as in San Diego. So I've safely assumed that my fuel is E70.
However, I still just calculate as if I'm using E85. I mix for an "E35" blend. 4.6 gallons of ethanol at the first fill up, topped off as high as I can go with 91. After that, it's simply 1 gallon of ethanol for every 2 gallons of 91. Mathematically, that's E35, but actual ethanol content is more like E32. I consistently use the same station and I've been doing this with the RS and previously with my ST, without issue, for 18 months. Knock and negative corrections should always be monitored if you're unsure about the product coming out of the pumps. If you see knock and corrections after fill up, just add a half gallon more ethanol. That's just me though...

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
You could probably buy it by the barrel. Then you wouldn't have to check content every time you fill up, just every time you tap a new barrel =P
Make sure you check your homeowner's insurance before you by a barrel of any fuel. Many policies has clauses that prohibit more than a certain amount of flammable chemicals or fuel and a 55-gallon drum would blast those limits big-time!

I love my TUNE+ E30 tune and can confirm there is no E85 anywhere near Monterey - I bring 12 gallons and blend it myself as needed. I also have the Zeitronix ethanol sensor and gauge like @neox.286 and love it. Another thing to know at Laguna is that the nearest gas station is like 4 miles away but knows he has a captive audience and charges accordingly, like $3.75 for premium. Still better than prices at the track which IIRC are $6 for 91 and $11 for 100.

Jim

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love my TUNE+ E30 tune and can confirm there is no E85 anywhere near Monterey - I bring 12 gallons and blend it myself as needed. I also have the Zeitronix ethanol sensor and gauge like @neox.286 and love it. Another thing to know at Laguna is that the nearest gas station is like 4 miles away but knows he has a captive audience and charges accordingly, like $3.75 for premium. Still better than prices at the track which IIRC are $6 for 91 and $11 for 100.

Jim
Nice setup... I'm looking into an analyzer as well. Where is the sensor cut in located on the fuel line, close to the tank? Or in the tank?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Thanks, everything's done in the engine compartment except running a wire assembly and 2 other wires into the dash area for the sensor power and ethanol gauge. The sensor is between the battery box and the grey Mountune hose:

IMG_4644.JPG

This is my "temporary" placement of the gauge that has worked out well enough I haven't move it yet :)

IMG_4646.JPG

This kit is from Full Blown and I also have their secondary fuel rail I need to install so I can run straight E85 (on another @TUNE+ tune).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, good to know you can tune with e30. I will be moving back to CA at some point in time soon and wish to continue to play with cars. As far as CARB goes its all politics, no scientific explanation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If I’m running my car stock (I auto-x in DS), is there any gain to be made by mixing a little E30 with 93 or is 93 as good as it gets with a stock tune ? Even thought about trying 100 but not sure, without a tune, if it would make a difference either.
Thx for any input.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If I’m running my car stock (I auto-x in DS), is there any gain to be made by mixing a little E30 with 93 or is 93 as good as it gets with a stock tune ? Even thought about trying 100 but not sure, without a tune, if it would make a difference either.
Thx for any input.
Did you mean e85? E30 is the equiv of around 94, so you're not really gaining anything. Mixing a gal of e85 to a tank of 93 on the other hand, although it wouldn't give you much of a boost either, but should mitigate some of the knock and give you the most out of the stock tune.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you mean e85? E30 is the equiv of around 94, so you're not really gaining anything. Mixing a gal of e85 to a tank of 93 on the other hand, although it wouldn't give you much of a boost either, but should mitigate some of the knock and give you the most out of the stock tune.
Yes. E85. Sorry

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thx for any input.
I'm fairly certain you're capped to using pump provided gases in street or street touring classes. You can probably get away with it regionally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm fairly certain you're capped to using pump provided gases in street or street touring classes. You can probably get away with it regionally.
Good point. Looks like the SCCA allows up to an 95.9 octane rating for Street and Street Touring, which allows for a ‘margin of error’ for 93 octane pump (maximum). It goes on to say that for those who are attempting to mix fuels to obtain a ‘closer to 95.9’ rating , you may very easily exceed it due to the ‘margin of error’ of the 93 you used.
Think I’ll just stick with Shell 93🙂

21 - 34 of 34 Posts