Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to show everyone the difference between CA 91 octane and an E30 blend with the RS. I know this is VDyno but compared to FSWerks' dynojet, my VDyno logs have always been +/- 2%, confirming that it is at least a good tool to track tuning progression.
As we all know, it's not just peak numbers but area under the curve, and I think this graph speaks volumes to both. The only mods I have are a high-flow filter, Magnaflow catback, and NGK 1-step colder spark plugs. The blue graph was of the final revision of my 91 map in 85+ degree San Diego weather. The red graph is of the 2nd revision of my E30 map. All logging takes place on the same street under similar conditions. I also account for weight and temperatures accordingly.
I just wanted to share with everyone the difference of a knock-resistant fuel against California's awful 91 octane. IMG_1427.JPG

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't know anything about E30 but I remember something from my mitsu evo E85 days quite well
I personnally know 5 people who broke their engine using E85, 5 in a 25'000 people town...5 in less than two years and at 4 of them were different tunes from different tuners on cars with various mods, 1 HKS turbo 2 Fp 1 stock the other I don't remember
I've heard this engine can't take 400hp with 93 ?!? I don't see why it could take it with E30 the explosions are still going to be pretty bad, even worse as you run leaner and everything will get hotter
does E help cooling ?
asking questions here ;)
oh and nice curve ! I hate tunes where the hp goes down at the end, the end is all you see when you are on a track

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
How common is e-85in Northern Cali/Monterrey area? I'll be there next summer for 18 months and dread dipping down to 91 octane :(***

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
OP that's fantastic,

Can I ask, on a Cobb AP, and E-tuning?
~2-2.5 gal of E85 to a tank?

I run ~3gal of E85 on my Subie v7 and it's fantastic stuff, been running it for years....

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Would you mine sharing your fillup process? It's my understanding that E85 isn't reliably 85% ethanol. Do these E30 tunes account for the variance?
It's much more reliable than you'd think, but it's always important to test your E85 supply frequently to verify the content. The E30 tunes generally expect to be between E25 and E30, with it better to be less than E30 and never above E30 - but no we don't have a flex fuel sensor so there is no way to dynamically adjust the tune based on the ethanol content

That being said, the absolute best tool you can have is an ethanol content analyzer of some sort - I run the Zeitronix kit from FullBlown. This can then allow you to easily see if you are in the right range or if there is something to worry about.

As for the fill up process - if you have a pump nearby then it's super easy. If not, it's best to carry something like this and fill it with a known amount for when you are in a pinch.

Without shilling my own site (I don't make any money off of it) - this will get you running quickly at the pump with the right measurements and is mobile phone friendly

I don't know anything about E30 but I remember something from my mitsu evo E85 days quite well
I personnally know 5 people who broke their engine using E85, 5 in a 25'000 people town...5 in less than two years and at 4 of them were different tunes from different tuners on cars with various mods, 1 HKS turbo 2 Fp 1 stock the other I don't remember
I've heard this engine can't take 400hp with 93 ?!? I don't see why it could take it with E30 the explosions are still going to be pretty bad, even worse as you run leaner and everything will get hotter
does E help cooling ?
asking questions here ;)
oh and nice curve ! I hate tunes where the hp goes down at the end, the end is all you see when you are on a track
ethanol based fuels burn slower, colder, and have an inherently higher octane rating - they are much safer to run with higher power

How common is e-85in Northern Cali/Monterrey area? I'll be there next summer for 18 months and dread dipping down to 91 octane :(***
not much in the Monterey area if I recall =(

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I dunno about e85, but they might have 93 and 100 octane at laguna seca...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It's much more reliable than you'd think, but it's always important to test your E85 supply frequently to verify the content. The E30 tunes generally expect to be between E25 and E30, with it better to be less than E30 and never above E30 - but no we don't have a flex fuel sensor so there is no way to dynamically adjust the tune based on the ethanol content

That being said, the absolute best tool you can have is an ethanol content analyzer of some sort - I run the Zeitronix kit from FullBlown. This can then allow you to easily see if you are in the right range or if there is something to worry about.

As for the fill up process - if you have a pump nearby then it's super easy. If not, it's best to carry something like this and fill it with a known amount for when you are in a pinch.

Without shilling my own site (I don't make any money off of it) - this will get you running quickly at the pump with the right measurements and is mobile phone friendly

ethanol based fuels burn slower, colder, and have an inherently higher octane rating - they are much safer to run with higher power

not much in the Monterey area if I recall =(
I dunno about e85, but they might have 93 and 100 octane at laguna seca...
appreciate the feedback gents - i'm sure i'll be tuned by then and i'll have to prep for a 91 tune it seems, if i can't find a consistent source of e85 for an e30 tune.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
E85 is pretty common in NorCal but it depends on the area. I've found that the central valley has way more E85 stations than the SF bay area. I have a feeling Moneterey won't have very many.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
appreciate the feedback gents - i'm sure i'll be tuned by then and i'll have to prep for a 91 tune it seems, if i can't find a consistent source of e85 for an e30 tune.
You could probably buy it by the barrel. Then you wouldn't have to check content every time you fill up, just every time you tap a new barrel =P

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You could probably buy it by the barrel. Then you wouldn't have to check content every time you fill up, just every time you tap a new barrel =P

The barrel idea may be worth looking into - but not sure where to start, since i've never bought fuel by the barrel before lol.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
it's got a big upfront cost if you want to go electric pump - but if you go handpump it's not bad at all

Ignite Racing Fuel offers E85 by the barrel but it's SUPER expensive to ship to a residential address and it is going to be more expensive than standard pump E85. you can go to one of their customers and buy it through them in person and deliver it home yourself, but you gotta find someone close enough by and also have a truck (might be able to fit a barrel in the RS though). give Jay a call over there, he is really good at working with you and can definitely get you a quote for buying it by the barrel

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
it's got a big upfront cost if you want to go electric pump - but if you go handpump it's not bad at all

Ignite Racing Fuel offers E85 by the barrel but it's SUPER expensive to ship to a residential address and it is going to be more expensive than standard pump E85. you can go to one of their customers and buy it through them in person and deliver it home yourself, but you gotta find someone close enough by and also have a truck (might be able to fit a barrel in the RS though). give Jay a call over there, he is really good at working with you and can definitely get you a quote for buying it by the barrel

Thanks for the insight and info brother...i'll definitely look into it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
We must be lucky out here in the midwest, we have "blender" pumps at the gas stations. You choose what blend you want E10/30/50/E85 and it automatically blends it with 93 for you.

Wish other states would take notice of that and get with times.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
We must be lucky out here in the midwest, we have "blender" pumps at the gas stations. You choose what blend you want E10/30/50/E85 and it automatically blends it with 93 for you.
As far as I have heard, every blender pump uses 87 as its base to blend with. Each tuner I've seen asked seems believe it as well. Maybe Illinois is different, but I can't imagine it is.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I live in IL, I have never seen these pumps.

Granted, the concept isn't super unusual.

Most gas stations only have two tanks for Regular and Premium. To get Mid-grade they blend Regular and Premium together.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Man, this sounds awesome, specially for places with 91ACN like in CA. This is how I foresee myself if I did do E30

1 - 20 of 34 Posts