Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 St
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been casually looking at focus Rs’s for 3 ish years now, but I found a weird trend happening this year. I currently own a 2018 St with sup 30k miles on it. So I’ll also look at St prices every now and then to sell. But the weird thing is that there are several St’s that I’ve seen which are more expensive than some cheap Rs’s. And sometimes it’s not top of the line St’s either. A modified 2017 with 30k+ miles and minor damage sold for 34k about a month back. And for that price you can find some decent shape Rs’s out there with a clean title, good shape, and sub 50k miles, if your lucky! It seems like cleaner St’s are selling for around 30 ish as well. Do you guys think this trend will continue? Or is it due to the chip shortage maybe?
Edit: Try searching on Auto Tempest and clicking price high to low. You’ll find one for 34k and a few for 30k and they keep selling like crazy!

Here’s the link to the one I was referring to. It has since reduced its price to a more reasonable 30k:

·
Registered
12 Posts
You actually saw it sold for 34k? or it was listed for 34? There is two ST's right down the road from the ford dealership, both 16's, for 16k and 18k, the latter with 35,000 miles on it.. Not saying you're wrong or lying, but paying 34k for a 200ish hp front wheel drive car is one of the most obscene ideas I have ever heard, and I have a HISTORY of poor financial decisions..

·
Registered
2018 St
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Covid has destroyed the used car market. But remember, something is only worth as much as someone’s willing to pay for. Are those overpriced ST’s actually selling?
Yeah I’ve seen 2 sold so far. Or at least they were no longer listed after 10ish day and I couldn’t find them anywhere. And the average seems to be like 30k ish!

·
Registered
2018 St
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You actually saw it sold for 34k? or it was listed for 34? There is two ST's right down the road from the ford dealership, both 16's, for 16k and 18k, the latter with 35,000 miles on it.. Not saying you're wrong or lying, but paying 34k for a 200ish hp front wheel drive car is one of the most obscene ideas I have ever heard, and I have a HISTORY of poor financial decisions..
Ive seen two go so far. And another high priced one for sale right now in Colorado near me. And there are many more going for 30k. I just don’t get it though!
Here’s the link:
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
284 Posts
i will gladly do a straight trade for my fully bolted Mountune 2017 ST w 45K miles for a 2017+ stock RS, let me know if you find that person or someone willing to give me $35K or more for my ST and yes I have over $15k in dealer installed Ford Performance & Mountune performance parts modifications. :cool:

·
Registered
2018 St
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will gladly do a straight trade for my fully bolted Mountune 2017 ST w 45K miles for a 2017+ stock RS, let me know if you find that person or someone willing to give me $35K or more for my ST and yes I have over $15k in dealer installed Ford Performance & Mountune performance parts modifications. :cool:
I’ve seen 2 St’s sold for around one that 34k ish mark so it’s definitely possible!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just because it was listed for 34k and the listing disappeared... Doesn't mean it sold.

There are a lot of people fishing high prices at the moment just because they heard the car market is crazy. These sellers aren't serious. Even if there is an occasional sale based on this speculation, it isn't realistic long term.

Instead of looking for the most expensive ST, look at the average listing price. That's more indicative.

Short story, no way in hades ST prices overtake RS prices. Not even close. Maybe there's an occasional outlier ST that sells over 25k, but for each one there's an occasional outlier RS selling for over 40k.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got trade in quotes from 4 dealers in 2 states (2 BMW, 1 Audi, 1 Ford) and they were very consistent at $25k for my 2016 RS, which had just under 75k and a small rear accident.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got trade in quotes from 4 dealers in 2 states (2 BMW, 1 Audi, 1 Ford) and they were very consistent at $25k for my 2016 RS, which had just under 75k and a small rear accident.
A car with crash history will always take a major hit in resale. I know, I own one. It can be a great value for the owner, but isn't anywhere close to representative of clean history vehicle value.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
KBB value for my RS right now is $41,958.

I just got an offer for my RS last Thurs $40,000 if I traded it for a Mach E GT.

NOTE: I have maintenance, warranty and dent protection till 2026/100,000 miles.

Also PPF'ed.

And I did not consider trading it in.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts

I just got an offer for my RS last Thurs $40,000 if I traded it for a Mach E GT.

Also PPF'ed.

Coat Hat Fedora Suit Tie

kidding aside…money temptation can lead to a lateral move.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Also PPF'ed.

I'll trade you my ST & throw in an extra $2500 cash!!!!! :p😝

• Haha
Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
View attachment 356578
kidding aside…money temptation can lead to a lateral move.
I'm too deep into it to get rid of it. The PPF and tint on it alone still makes the KBB below what I would even consider taking a deal.

And what would I do with the parts I have stashed?!

I would just buy the Mach-E if I want it, I don't need to get rid of my RS.

I actually been looking at the RS3 for a while now.

Reactions: FU3LD
1 - 20 of 30 Posts