Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By: CJ Pony Parts

Pretty straight forward install on new Accel Coil Pack Supercoil Blue Set. Adds 15% more spark, for better response.

Reactions: ResuRS

·
Registered
185 Posts
Reactions: Ex-STi

·
Registered
185 Posts
$162.86 at Jegs or Summit
Russtang
Got bored during the holidays... got the coils from Jegs and added some Denso ITV22 sparks ,price matched to Walmart $6.86 each. I loves me a bargain. Even if the performance gains are marginal, at least it's an easy install.
Russtang
Denso's on backorder :(
I'll wait for both to arrive and do the install together . Then....race car

·
Registered
185 Posts
Put the new coils in tonight . Quick, easy install. The sparks probably won't be in for a week. I'm hoping the combo will have a positive effect. I'll keep you posted.
Russtang

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you say this part wouldn't void warranty? Heh heh heh, I never did care about warranties before, but his is my first Ford, so I don't have too much confidence. @Russtang are you going for a warranty friendly build with yours? Looking at your mods, they seem like it.
I'm curious to see how much power a warranty friendly build would make, without a tune. I hope you get a catback exhaust and dyno your RS in the future.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Would you say this part wouldn't void warranty? Heh heh heh, I never did care about warranties before, but his is my first Ford, so I don't have too much confidence. @Russtang are you going for a warranty friendly build with yours? Looking at your mods, they seem like it.
I'm curious to see how much power a warranty friendly build would make, without a tune. I hope you get a catback exhaust and dyno your RS in the future.
I'm waiting for the FRPP tune . They have one for the Mustang Ecoboost ( plus 75 ftlbs and 25 hp) and have one due for the RS.
I had that in my ST along with some basic exhaust , intake mods, and that thing was pretty fast. Consider that the FRPP tune in the ST was supposed to add 90 ftlbs of torque with only sparks and a tune, that was at least 362 ftlbs plus a little more with my other conservative mods. More than the RS .... but all to the front wheels which made it pretty squirrelly when pushed.
I have no plans for any suspension mods except maybe bushings as I've had bad experiences in the past with poorly thought out suspension mods that could never be made right.
I just want to have fun , without worrying that I'm ruining a $40000 car. As far as warranty is concerned, yes , the plan is to keep it intact.
Russtang
By the way, the Accel coils I bought are black and look identical to the OEM ones except they say Accel and the part # in teeny gold writing on the top. No one would ever know unless you pointed it out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Put the new coils in tonight . Quick, easy install. The sparks probably won't be in for a week. I'm hoping the combo will have a positive effect. I'll keep you posted.
Russtang
ITV 22's just put in . Gapped them to 0.026 as everyone seems to be suggesting. The old guy at Advance Auto almost had an aneurysm when I told him I wanted to gap them that narrow . He also said that iridium plugs don't need to be gapped. Whatever dude , just sell me the feeler gauge.
Now ....race car, lol
Russtang
Just got back from taking my kid to a birthday party. MUCH better throttle response and acceleration. Worth the money to me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have used Granatelli Packs and 0 OHM wires on other vehicles. A good set you will notice a difference. The Granatelli are more expensive than most but from my experience worth it. They just came out with 2 sets for the RS.

Here is a link if anyone wants to see the differences. Much hire volt coils with these.
Ford 2.0, 2.3, 3.5, 3.7L, & 5.0L Coil Packs: Granatelli Motorsports
I checked them out. 2x the juice sounds awesome. But I was thinking, if the guys were balking at $168, they would have a heart attack over $289. You've got to pay to play I guess. Stouffer, how is your set working ? Any difference ? Did you get new sparks too.
Russtang

·
Registered
210 Posts
I checked them out. 2x the juice sounds awesome. But I was thinking, if the guys were balking at $168, they would have a heart attack over $289. You've got to pay to play I guess. Stouffer, how is your set working ? Any difference ? Did you get new sparks too.
Russtang
Haven't ordered them yet. Was just searching around to see what options and saw that Granatelli did make them for the RS. Have to pay this thing called taxes. But could tell a difference when I had them on my silverado. To me the Granatelli's are worth the cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haven't ordered them yet. Was just searching around to see what options and saw that Granatelli did make them for the RS. Have to pay this thing called taxes. But could tell a difference when I had them on my silverado. To me the Granatelli's are worth the cost.
Thanks for mentioning the Granatelli coil packs. They seem like a better product from the description. What is the 10-15% increase in energy over OE for the accel coil packs and what is the OE coil packs energy output? Also, what is the OE coil pack power output since Granatelli states that it is over 200% more power to the spark? Almost seems like there is some polishing done to the description for them to sell the product quicker.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for mentioning the Granatelli coil packs. They seem like a better product from the description. What is the 10-15% increase in energy over OE for the accel coil packs and what is the OE coil packs energy output? Also, what is the OE coil pack power output since Granatelli states that it is over 200% more power to the spark? Almost seems like there is some polishing done to the description for them to sell the product quicker.
I am sure they polish it a bit. There are dyno charts with other vehicles gaining 10HP give or take with just the coils. No tuning. I saw 8 to 12 with my last vehicle with tuning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am sure they polish it a bit. There are dyno charts with other vehicles gaining 10HP give or take with just the coils. No tuning. I saw 8 to 12 with my last vehicle with tuning.
So do you plan on upgrading to the Granatelli's for your RS? Seems like a bit of money but with the super quick and easy install i feel like its worth it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
How are them coil packs working a year later? Not bad for 10 extra ponies, but are they reliable?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts