Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep looking at the numbers, then looking at the weight, and thinking to myself, 4.7 doesn't add up. I've punched the numbers into several calculators and it spits out anywhere from 4.2 - 4.5 seconds...? Does anyone else feel that the launch time may be much faster than originally stated. Especially considering the recent Hp and torque boost for the U.S. Version?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Is this a new Ford/Audi mutant car? Lol jokes aside 4.7 seems slow to me, I was really hoping it would be ~4.2-4.3 with a good launch.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
GT350 does 4.1, probably don't want to step on its toes. Time will tell

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It wouldn't be the first time a company is conservative about their times. I'm sure once you start seeing some tests that number will drop.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
About a month ago we did this. Weight was guestimated at 3375 and 0 to 60 was around 4.5 seconds.

I keep looking at the numbers, then looking at the weight, and thinking to myself, 4.7 doesn't add up. I've punched the numbers into several calculators and it spits out anywhere from 4.2 - 4.5 seconds...? Does anyone else feel that the launch time may be much faster than originally stated. Especially considering the recent Hp and torque boost for the U.S. Version?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Like RacerX said, 4.7 is the manufacturer quoted time for 0-100km/h. 0-60 will be a tenth or two faster. The other factor will be whether or not Ford uses a 1 foot rollout in their quoted number. Mags like Car & Driver etc. use a 1 foot rollout in their testing, so that shaves a couple for tenths off the time. They also don't pay for clutches, so if they figure out that launching without launch control produces a better time, they're going to quote that one. I can just about guarantee that Ford's time was done with launch control. That makes it repeatable and achievable.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm thinking it will be at most 4.5. I believe the Subaru STI is at like 4.8-.9 on a good day and the Golf R I think they've hit 4.6 with the DSG. Based on how much more HP and TRQ the RS has in comparison to those other cars, it has to be at least a tick quicker. We'll have to wait and see actual tests. Either way, Ford Performance will likely (hopefully) offer a factory warrantied tune like in the FoST which would be awesome. That's half the reason I skimped on the RS2 package and other options on my FoRS, I plan to put my option money towards the tune ;) near 400hp? Warrantied?? Yes please!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe typically the 1ft roll out is to stop the clutch dumping estimates. They found the cars with turbos and AWD were getting ridiculous 0-60 times that couldn't (shouldn't or could one time only) be repeated. So the 1ft rollout or 5-60 time was introduced. Although I believe it is more biased towards RWD V8 cars, it's a better metric than assuming you can dump the clutch at 5000rpm all day long.

The fact the RS is manual only also hurts its 0-60 time. A DSG gearbox like the Golf R or AMG45 will result in a better 0-60 so stat for stat, I would expect the RS to be a couple tenths slower. We have more fun - they are quicker off the line.

Like RacerX said, 4.7 is the manufacturer quoted time for 0-100km/h. 0-60 will be a tenth or two faster. The other factor will be whether or not Ford uses a 1 foot rollout in their quoted number. Mags like Car & Driver etc. use a 1 foot rollout in their testing, so that shaves a couple for tenths off the time. They also don't pay for clutches, so if they figure out that launching without launch control produces a better time, they're going to quote that one. I can just about guarantee that Ford's time was done with launch control. That makes it repeatable and achievable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I believe typically the 1ft roll out is to stop the clutch dumping estimates. They found the cars with turbos and AWD were getting ridiculous 0-60 times that couldn't (shouldn't or could one time only) be repeated. So the 1ft rollout or 5-60 time was introduced. Although I believe it is more biased towards RWD V8 cars, it's a better metric than assuming you can dump the clutch at 5000rpm all day long.
You're correct on the 5-60 test. It eliminates the hard launch from the equation, since the test is done by rolling at 5 mph, then mashing the gas. However, 1 foot rollout is something completely different. It's done to account for the timing light distance at a standard NHRA dragstrip. Basically, the car is able to move 1 foot before the timer starts running the 0-60 (or 1/4 mile) measurement. In reality, the car is moving approximately 3 mph and takes 0.3s in the first foot. 1 foot rollout doesn't benefit one type of car or driveline over another, but it does make times look faster than reality.

Here's a writeup that a forum user at VWVortex put together detailing 1 foot rollout. I was wrong earlier though; Ford does use a 1 foot rollout for manufacturers times, so I'd expect the 0-60 of the RS to drop to 4.4 / 4.5 in certain magazine's hands.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ah very good. My mistake.

You're correct on the 5-60 test. It eliminates the hard launch from the equation, since the test is done by rolling at 5 mph, then mashing the gas. However, 1 foot rollout is something completely different. It's done to account for the timing light distance at a standard NHRA dragstrip. Basically, the car is able to move 1 foot before the timer starts running the 0-60 (or 1/4 mile) measurement. In reality, the car is moving approximately 3 mph and takes 0.3s in the first foot. 1 foot rollout doesn't benefit one type of car or driveline over another, but it does make times look faster than reality.

Here's a writeup that a forum user at VWVortex put together detailing 1 foot rollout. I was wrong earlier though; Ford does use a 1 foot rollout for manufacturers times, so I'd expect the 0-60 of the RS to drop to 4.4 / 4.5 in certain magazine's hands.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2009 WRX is rated at 4.7s for 0-60 time. That's stock, 265hp, 244 torque and 3200lbs weight.
Granted it has a more favorable gearbox for launching (only need 2nd gear to reach 60), but I'll be surprised if the RS doesn't better that by a lot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 2009 WRX is rated at 4.7s for 0-60 time. That's stock, 265hp, 244 torque and 3200lbs weight.
Granted it has a more favorable gearbox for launching (only need 2nd gear to reach 60)
Correct, and the 4.7s time is by Car and Driver, which isn't an apples to apples comparison to Ford's time for the RS. Subaru quoted the 2009 WRX 0-60 at 5.4s. Again, not apples to apples, but probably more repeatable. You're going to need a clutch or gearbox in short order if you try running 4.7s all day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
Professor Gascan
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing