Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a lovely Moutuned ST3 as my DD with 70K miles and love that car. It can do the track, Home depot, and a trip to Petsmart with the dogs all in the same day. I am in love with the RS, everything about it that we know of so far makes this a GREAT car...if costs can be kept in check; however, the purchasing asshatery that will arise with a limited production run car is not enjoyable and is honestly one of the biggest turnoffs so far. I would love if Ford could make this like the STI, release it a little later than all the others but make it a routine production.

Anyway, my problem is that a 2012 Audi S4 with sport diff goes for about $35k with 25K-40K miles. I know the supercharged V6 of the S4 produces what will probably less power than the RS (estimates 20 or so), but with both probably having similar endstate curb weights I end up with a luxury sport sedan on one hand and a boy racer wet dream on the other. Someone please give me a good reason to convince myself to look away from the S4.

P.S. If I get an S4 the wife will get an escape so the whole cargo things isnt really a big deal in that scenario.

·
Registered
23 Posts
well I can only assume maintenance costs will be much less for the RS than the S4 if that matters to you at all. For a DIY perspective I bet the RS will be easier to work on as well, this not speaking from experience just from what I've seen on the good ole intewebs.

Styling is another factor for me, you really have to take a pretty close look at an S4 to know it's an S4 and not just a regular A4. To a non car enthusiast they probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference, where as the RS will most def stick out of the crowd. This might not be your cup of tea however if you're looking for the sleeper look.

I'm with you where I might cross shop these but I think I'll give the edge to the RS, however a used S3 might be a closer contender for me due to it probably being cheaper than a used S4. That interior is pretty nice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
1. Acquire RS. 2. Tune
3. Get Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance before 15k miles in order to cover failures that won't be covered by Ford's warranty. Bam! Cars with more than 15k miles aren't eligible for this coverage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses everyone. I think the next step is to wait for firm pricing. I think the RS will hold it's value well but not better than a 3 year old S4 that already took the "not new" value hit.

Also, when it comes to new v used...I just don't see it. That new car smell just isn't worth it for me. New cars used to be worth it for the warrantys, but with modern cars reliability and cheap aftermarket warrantys the difference can't be viewed as significant.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The RS is going to be an animal. It's going to have very aggressive handling, and based on what Ford has been putting out, very good handling at the limit, and neutral balance.

The S4 is going to be fast, sure, but It's still a luxury sedan, I just don't think it will have the *bite* that the RS is going to have. I think the S4 is more comparable to a Golf R... The jalopnik "first drive" article sums this up.
The 2015 Volkswagen Golf R Is Proof VW Doesn't Really Hate Us

Quote from the article:
"I certainly didn't get bored, but if I wanted to have fun, even in its "Race" mode, I had to force the car to have fun. That's not something you can say about an STI. I wondered: Maybe this new Golf R just isn't hardcore enough? "

TLDR it's fast, and it's fun, but it *could* be more fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can have this scenario with any new car purchase. I don't think the RS will depreciate quite like the ST's have though.
Agreed, and I think I may have been unclear above. With a limited production run it won't take the 30-40% depreciation in the first 2 years that allot of normal production quantity cars do; however, the S4 has already taken this hit and will depreciate as a much slower rate for the remainder of it's life. Again, it all comes back to firm pricing information from Ford.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If you never push your vehicle into the 80% + limit range the S4 is a great choice. If you care how a vehicle handles at the limit then I wouldn't bother even considering it as an option. If the RS is set up like the ST which according to Ford will be even better then it will work with you to have fun, helping you and inspiring confidence. The S4 will fall apart at the limit frustrating you with understeer stopping you from having fun. There is also the difference in AWD systems, the RS will have a better system then the Haldex , although unproven it will allow the power to be transferred more precisely and tuned to put a smile on your face. If you just putt around in your vehicles and open them up every now and then you will not be disappointed with the S4, but if you are constantly hooning around and love to hang the tail out you will be very sorry you didn't hold out for the RS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you never push your vehicle into the 80% + limit range the S4 is a great choice. If you care how a vehicle handles at the limit then I wouldn't bother even considering it as an option. If the RS is set up like the ST which according to Ford will be even better then it will work with you to have fun, helping you and inspiring confidence. The S4 will fall apart at the limit frustrating you with understeer stopping you from having fun. There is also the difference in AWD systems, the RS will have a better system then the Haldex , although unproven it will allow the power to be transferred more precisely and tuned to put a smile on your face. If you just putt around in your vehicles and open them up every now and then you will not be disappointed with the S4, but if you are constantly hooning around and love to hang the tail out you will be very sorry you didn't hold out for the RS.
I definitely go over the 80% mark with my cars, see below. I might have to start factoring upgrade cost on the S4 suspension into my equation. Again, it all goes back to firm pricing and availability from Ford.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have a lovely Moutuned ST3 as my DD with 70K miles and love that car. It can do the track, Home depot, and a trip to Petsmart with the dogs all in the same day. I am in love with the RS, everything about it that we know of so far makes this a GREAT car...if costs can be kept in check; however, the purchasing asshatery that will arise with a limited production run car is not enjoyable and is honestly one of the biggest turnoffs so far. I would love if Ford could make this like the STI, release it a little later than all the others but make it a routine production.

Anyway, my problem is that a 2012 Audi S4 with sport diff goes for about $35k with 25K-40K miles. I know the supercharged V6 of the S4 produces what will probably less power than the RS (estimates 20 or so), but with both probably having similar endstate curb weights I end up with a luxury sport sedan on one hand and a boy racer wet dream on the other. Someone please give me a good reason to convince myself to look away from the S4.

P.S. If I get an S4 the wife will get an escape so the whole cargo things isnt really a big deal in that scenario.
well for one, you'd be one of those audi guys. im sure most of us know what i mean.

secondly, you'd have an audi, instead of a bad ass focus rs. that is all

·
Registered
210 Posts
@Craig9080

Speaking from experience here as I have owned a 2012 Audi S4, which I purchased new. The car was great. The supercharged V6 was very potent and the Quattro AWD gave the car great grip and handling under most driving conditions. It was easy to drive in any weather, but was confidence inspiring in very harsh weather. Additionally, the fit and finish inside and outside were superb.

Having said (typed) that, the "fun factor" wore off quite fast for me (and I am not the type who gets bored easily). I ended up selling the S4 for that very reason. It's not that it wasn't an enjoyable car to drive, it just wasn't exciting to drive.

I enjoy driving my FoST as much now as I did when I first bought it. It's an exciting experience for me every time I get into my FoST and I can only imagine how much more exciting to drive the Focus RS will be.

Based on my experience with the S4 and the FoST, If I was going to choose between another Audi S4 and the Focus RS, I'd choose the Focus RS every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

EDIT: I feel much more involved in the driving experience in my FoST than I ever did in the Audi S4. I know the Focus RS will be an even better driving experience.

·
Registered
203 Posts
@Craig9080

Speaking from experience here as I have owned a 2012 Audi S4, which I purchased new. The car was great. The supercharged V6 was very potent and the Quattro AWD gave the car great grip and handling under most driving conditions. It was easy to drive in any weather, but was confidence inspiring in very harsh weather. Additionally, the fit and finish inside and outside were superb.

Having said (typed) that, the "fun factor" wore off quite fast for me (and I am not the type who gets bored easily). I ended up selling the S4 for that very reason. It's not that it wasn't an enjoyable car to drive, it just wasn't exciting to drive.

I enjoy driving my FoST as much now as I did when I first bought it. It's an exciting experience for me every time I get into my FoST and I can only imagine how much more exciting to drive the Focus RS will be.

Based on my experience with the S4 and the FoST, If I was going to choose between another Audi S4 and the Focus RS, I'd choose the Focus RS every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

EDIT: I feel much more involved in the driving experience in my FoST than I ever did in the Audi S4. I know the Focus RS will be an even better driving experience.
I agree ! I have had a lot of performance cars over the years, starting with my first out of college a new 1970 442 4-speed Hurst, and the ST is still the most fun to-date ...until my RS replacement

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hate what you said that but thank you for doing so. Mt FoST is a blast to drive every day and my only gripe has been putting the power down...ehem hence my obsession with 4WD. I really do need to drive an S4 now to see how I like it and be honest about it's comparison with the what the RS should/hopefully will be.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Craig
Consider the transmission choice as well, I am not certain if the S4 was available in a manual transmission. If it was, it will be hard to find.

And another rule of thumb I have used before when considering cars to purchase, ask yourself or your car guy buddies, if you tossed the keys of the various cars you are considering into a bucket, which key would you grab first?

I ended up walking away from a brand new last generation Golf R in favor for a used 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP. Not many folks would cross shop those cars, but I can relate to the new vs. used scenario you are faced with. Screw the S4, go for the RS4!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The S4 does have a manual but you are correct in that they are much less common then the automatic. I like your analogy...but to be honest if both keys were in front of me I would still have a hard time choosing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am considering an RS and currently drive a 2001 Audi S4. I love my Audi, but with 200k miles on it I need a fun reliable car to drive. Will probably never part with the Audi, though. It is a blast to drive. I may even buy a used ST since they are coming down in price.

The bad thing about owning an Audi is maintenance. Very expensive. I do most of my own wrenching, but just buying parts is outrageous.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts