Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I realized that a 2014 C7 Corvette with the Z51 package could be had for <50k, I had a really tough choice...

460 HP RWD sports car doing 0-60 in less than 4 seconds and some 190 MPH with a removable roof, reasonable trunk space, and great handling... But only 2 seats (albeit comfortable ones). Also I like that the engine can shut down to 4 cylinders and allow for nearly 30 MPG cruising on the highway.

Or a 5 door hatchback with 350 HP, 0-60 in the mid 4 second range, 165 MPH, but it's much more practical and with AWD.

I really like the idea of the Corvette, but my rules for getting a new car were that it had to be more practical as well as faster than the S2000. The faster part would definitely be taken care of with the Corvette, and while it's *slightly* more practical, I don't think it'd be enough.

I know they're very different cars for different purposes, but did anyone else here find this a tough decision?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I thought about it, but I couldn't find any C7s around under 50K (I just checked and 50K is the minimum within 100 miles). Also living in MI there's no way I would drive a C7 during the winter which means buying a 5K-10K "beater" and then insuring both cars... all of that adds up to an expensive alternative. Not to mention that half the year I have to drive a "beater" instead of my fun car. I'd rather have the cheaper car that's maybe not as cool, but I can drive it year round for less money.

Something worth noting is that the RS is IMO a "special" car. I don't think you're going to see as many RS' on the road as you see C7s which counts for something.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Basically everything that Xicutioner stated. I work at a Chevy dealer and see a lot of slightly used C7's and we have sold some for under 50K already.

The two biggest issues for me would be, that I couldn't use it in the winter and a Z51 C7 isn't special enough for me. I'm really hopingChevy will come out with a GS model and crossing my fingers but most likely won't happen is that they shove a LS7 in it. I also have had my eyes set on an RS for about 9 years now, ever since we couldn't get the MKII and I had my SVT Focus. The RS is a bit of a dream car to me, a C7 I can get anytime and they only will get better and better as the years go on. I honestly will say a C7 Z06 doesn't even get a special place in my heart like the RS does.

A little bit of a curveball but I also have pondered on the idea of a C6 Z06 and throw some heads a cam and complete PFADT feather light suspension. The C7 is a better all around vehicle but there is something to be said about the rawness of the C6 and even more so with a C5. They excite the senses more because they are worse and are waiting to kill you lol.

The other thing to consider is that if you are not tracking a Vette then you will find yourself doing some very illegal things trying to explore the limits. I honestly think as a DD nothing can beat the RS in terms of usability and the thrill it gives back to the driver, of course we still have to get behind one to verify but all the criteria is there. You wouldn't think a 450hp vehicle could be boring but Vettes can be a little numb unless you push them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love everything about the new Corvette and I've never been a corvette guy at all. Every time I see one on the road or in a parking lot I stop to admire it! Chevy did a great job making the new one seem much more exotic then the previous generations. It's probably one of the best bang for the buck new sports cars out there.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Basically everything that Xicutioner stated. I work at a Chevy dealer and see a lot of slightly used C7's and we have sold some for under 50K already.

The two biggest issues for me would be, that I couldn't use it in the winter and a Z51 C7 isn't special enough for me. I'm really hopingChevy will come out with a GS model and crossing my fingers but most likely won't happen is that they shove a LS7 in it. I also have had my eyes set on an RS for about 9 years now, ever since we couldn't get the MKII and I had my SVT Focus. The RS is a bit of a dream car to me, a C7 I can get anytime and they only will get better and better as the years go on. I honestly will say a C7 Z06 doesn't even get a special place in my heart like the RS does.

A little bit of a curveball but I also have pondered on the idea of a C6 Z06 and throw some heads a cam and complete PFADT feather light suspension. The C7 is a better all around vehicle but there is something to be said about the rawness of the C6 and even more so with a C5. They excite the senses more because they are worse and are waiting to kill you lol.

The other thing to consider is that if you are not tracking a Vette then you will find yourself doing some very illegal things trying to explore the limits. I honestly think as a DD nothing can beat the RS in terms of usability and the thrill it gives back to the driver, of course we still have to get behind one to verify but all the criteria is there. You wouldn't think a 450hp vehicle could be boring but Vettes can be a little numb unless you push them.

Maybe a bit of the "specialness" of the C7 is tainted by you working at a Chevy dealership :) I think the C7 ZO6 is much more special than the RS. The fact that for less than 100k it can run with a 918 Porsche thats approaching 900k. is very special. You really can't even put these two cars (RS, C7 Z06) in the same sentence besides being both automobiles. Of course its all dependent upon your definition of 'Special'. First time sold in US is very special, low numbers -special. I owned a C5 and yes it was raw and and too fast to drive on public roads. The problem was it just begged for you to use it for whats its intended...speed. I sold it in part because of that. The RS will be special and a PHENOMANAL all rounder.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Used gt350r or used c7 zo6

Honestly I would not be satisfied with a base corvette, because once you see a zo6 pull next to you you will feel inadequate.

With the focus RS you are the top dog of that class, no regret even when M2 rolls next to you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The fact that a Focus and a Corvette are even mentioned in the same thought is absolutely insane :) I wish I lived in a year around warm climate. It's funny thought that when I ran across this thread I was just looking at an internet Chevy dealer website that had new 2016 Corvettes for $51k. I thought to myself, how can I spend $40k on a Focus when I know I can get a bad ass 'Vette for 20% more.

If I had the Vette, it would be stored in the winter and I'd either keep my '13 ST or find another inexpensive daily. Right now we don't have the room for that as we already store my wifes '11 Mustang GT in the winter. However if I WAIT a couple of years (We plan to build a new house shortly), Maybe then I'd have the room for this. If I spend $40k now on the RS, the chance of having the extra cash for a Vette later is slim.

Decisions, Decisions.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I like the Vette but still think they feel too isolated. The C7 is worlds better though.

I'm also stuck thinking about Caymans. They can hold a hockey bag so it fits me criteria for being useful/practical.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If I for some reason couldn't get an RS I'd buy a C63.

Sort of the same deal as the vette. Completely different cars but, sexy none the less!

·
Registered
334 Posts
What I think is spectacular is the notion that we are legitimately comparing the RS to the C7. The corvette is a car which is a direct competitor and comparison with the likes of the Ferrari 456 or McLaren P12. These are cars which live in the realm well north of $200k. To compare a $40k hatchback to the Corvette that directly rivals these cars puts the RS in perspective for me. I think the RS is all the more special and interesting that we can make these comparisons in the first place.

·
Registered
561 Posts
What I think is spectacular is the notion that we are legitimately comparing the RS to the C7. The corvette is a car which is a direct competitor and comparison with the likes of the Ferrari 456 or McLaren P12. These are cars which live in the realm well north of $200k. To compare a $40k hatchback to the Corvette that directly rivals these cars puts the RS in perspective for me. I think the RS is all the more special and interesting that we can make these comparisons in the first place.
I totally agree! Always see people saying it's just a focus, but in reality the next closest competitors are Mercedes Benz. Price point for performance numbers are quite excellent name plate aside.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
13 Participants
Solhaven
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing