·
Super Moderator
15,797 Posts
And the VIN:

vin.jpg

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd prefer to be fast through the corners, than fast in a straight line. Focus will be 10x more fun to drive. Which is why it's what everyone and their grandma is talking about right now.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I was all in on a GT350. I have a 2017 allocation secured for MSRP and everything.

But I would need a winter car here in northern Indiana. And today, 4/9, it's snowing like crazy. Thats November - April I can't drive the GT350 much. 5 months out of the year. Plus 10-15k to get a decent winter car that I don't hate, probably an STI because if I'm driving it 5 months a year I want it to be fun too.

Price difference ends up being about 30k when you include the winter vehicle and it's not worth it for me. But it's really close. If I was more of a track rat then maybe. But the GT350 1st gear goes to 55, 2nd goes to like 80. That's hardly conducive to street driving either. And the back seats are so tiny it'd be hard to take the kids anywhere.

So for all that I chose the Focus. But I don't blame anyone for going with a GT350 and if I could swing it, I would. When my RS is paid off, I might buy a used GT350 anyway.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'd prefer to be fast through the corners, than fast in a straight line. Focus will be 10x more fun to drive. Which is why it's what everyone and their grandma is talking about right now.
the RS is going to be an incredible beast for sure, particularly in the very tight windy santa cruz mountain roads we have here (I don't know what Kentucky driving is like), but I wouldn't peg the GT350 as being only a 'fast in a straight line' car...that's doing it a tremendous injustice. My GT350R is properly quick in the bendy stuff and I just flogged a standard GT350 on PSS's around UMC and you'd be foolish to underestimate the outright capability - and fun factor - of that car.

And you may know the old saying that 'straight are for fast cars and corners are for fast drivers'...

I'm hoping the RS is great (and I suspect it will be)...but 10x more fun is highly unlikely. It would be a huge win if were even 1x as fun.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I voted for the 350....but I have both. The 350 is a blast to drive, and the RS will be a blast as well....plus the rs will be my daily and the 350 will be for weekends and date nights :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
They are two different types of fun I have to own to experience. The RS will be first. Fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You realize this thread is about the GT350 right? If so I can only assume you have never driven one. Or even know what they are.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Gonna bump an old thread.

Like a lot of people on here I’m addicted to Craigslist and just spend free time searching around. The gt350’s are dipping down to the 50-55k cad range where I live and they’re getting more and more tempting.

My RS has always been the Swiss Army knife for my family since it was the most practical (versus a sketchy focus wagon and the other focus SVT) but now my wife has a ‘19 flex ecoboost and my RS will no longer be forced to do road trips, camping trips etc.

So who on here has more experience in thag chassis? Would you ever give up your RS for a clean gt350?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Gonna bump an old thread.

Like a lot of people on here I’m addicted to Craigslist and just spend free time searching around. The gt350’s are dipping down to the 50-55k cad range where I live and they’re getting more and more tempting.

My RS has always been the Swiss Army knife for my family since it was the most practical (versus a sketchy focus wagon and the other focus SVT) but now my wife has a ‘19 flex ecoboost and my RS will no longer be forced to do road trips, camping trips etc.

So who on here has more experience in thag chassis? Would you ever give up your RS for a clean gt350?
Traded in RS for a GT350R, 2 very different cars. If you are not going to be driving it a lot when temps are below 45-50 F then I say get the GT350, otherwise the RS is going to be way more capable and fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
There was a new 2018 Gt350 in white about 200 miles away from me in Wyoming. The dealer had dropped the price significantly to about $53k. There was a the stealth grey color GT350, also an 18, used with about 14k miles on it (the car computer had not been reset in 400 hrs, and the car was averaging around 20mpg, so it was clearly not driven very hard) for about $47k. I test drove the grey one wanting to buy either and loved it. The sound it made. The power, how it cornered. However, I live in Denver, have a 100lb dog (no kids), but love to ski. Also at a point where I don't ski weekends, I only ski mid-week powder days, which means I'm driving through the Eisenhower Tunnel and over Vail Pass in the snow several times a year. I also put a road bike in the trunk regularly (wasn't an issue in the car though, bike fit no worse than in the RS).

It came down to 3 things for me:
1: What I was gaining in terms of performance of the 350, I was loosing more in terms of practicality of the RS. At the time, I was a 1 car guy. I have the RS, the wife has a 4Runner. I have since bought a Fiat 500 Abarth. whoops.
2: Track time: I had just purchased a very nice set of wheels and tires for the RS, the RS still has a warranty, and the RS wearables are a lot less expensive than a 350. I'm trying to get 5-10 days on the track this summer. Get a feel for it, then see if it's something I'd like to pursue competitively. But now I have a 500 abarth. So that's easily the cheapest thing to track. Own it outright, doesn't even need insurance.
3: Price: Event at $53k for a new 350, it still would have bumped up my payments a good amount. Could have made it work, but I've got about 20 months left before I pay off my 18 RS, and going back to start with a $1,000k a month payment for 5 years, didn't seem worth it. I was getting top top, over market price on the RS too.

If it came down to it and I could afford both cars, I would have both. If I lived somewhere I didn't need to drive in treacherous conditions, I still might have done the 350. It's an amazing car. If I ever got the chance to track one, I would do it in a heartbeat. Heck, I may even wait 2-3 years and see what happens in terms of pricing. Would make a sick track car. I'm sure 16s can be had for around $40k now. They will continue to drop. Probably aren't going to hit the deep levels that say a Mustang GT will, but they will become more affordable.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Comparing prices you can get track pack GT’s for ~35k cad used, or the gt350’s for 55k. Regular mustangs resale drops like a rock in water.

When my buddy used to have his track pack gt and I had my foST we used to swap all the time for weekends. It was such a different feel to the hot hatch. Much more mature and solid. But I was always happy to be home in my ST.

I live in Vancouver Canada. The warmest of up north but we still see snow maybe 2 weeks a year. My favourite time with the RS but I think I’d hate it in a gt350.

Bought my RS August 2017. I was curious and started adding up all the little **** I’ve bought for my RS from shift knobs to suspension. Without tax or duty or shipping (just msrp cost of parts) I’m up to $18,500cad. That’s a big price to swallow for a car I’d get nothing for in a trade in :p

61 - 74 of 74 Posts