Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone owned or driven both of these cars? How do they stack up? They seem very comparable as far as power and handling go. I'd love to own one someday.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have an RS and a Cayman GT4.

They are very different cars and just because they have similar power, (Cayman R and RS) as in horsepower, they make it in different ways.

I guess you have to ask yourself if you are more interested in a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder mid engine sports car, or a four cylinder turbocharged semi four wheel drive 4 door hatchback.

They are both fantastic cars, but quite dissimilar you could compare them I guess, the same way you can compare cats and dogs. My husky is almost as fast as some neighborhood cats, the cats are better at climbing telephone poles.

B.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The 987 Cayman R is a sweet track car, light & balanced... there are some fast guys out there that can push one bone stock into high :20s at Sebring for example. I think with the same driver at same day and same track... the FoRS will be a few ticks behind the R and in the end they are really different types of cars. There's quite a few R videos on YT out there so you can see just how quick they are... and sooner or later there will be more & more RS track vids as well.

I also have a GT4 (981) but that is above & beyond the RS and even the R....

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Ask yourself what you want from the vehicle, like stated very different driving experiences but ownership is different as well. I have driven a Cayman R on track and the corner speed it maintains are truly amazing. These are honestly two vehicles I would never cross shop, they are different enough to own both at the same time. If it is one or the other then it is up to the buyer to decide on the driving experience they prefer at this time.

I will say if power is your concern then the RS will be the way to go. You will have a much easier and less expensive time modding the RS over the Cayman. To some both will be lacking and if you do a lot of highway or really have a place to open it up the RS seems like a better choice. If you want a mountain carver it goes back to the type of driving experience because the Cayman R does not lack at all when linking corners.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of the responses. I already own the RS. Wasn't really trying to 'cross-shop'. Just saying that it would probably be my next car if I live somewhere I could daily it year round! If not, definitely a car to look into having in my garage someday.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thank you for all of the responses. I already own the RS. Wasn't really trying to 'cross-shop'. Just saying that it would probably be my next car if I live somewhere I could daily it year round! If not, definitely a car to look into having in my garage someday.
That will be a very nice pair of cars to have.... as stated, two different ways to harness out fun & smiles. And Benjamins too. Speaking of which, the consumables on the FoRS will be much cheaper than on a 987 R. But hey... you have good taste! :D

Reactions: Crooked Letta

·
Registered
150 Posts
So I'm interested in a RS, is it pretty similar to a Bugatti Veyron? I mean they are both all wheel drive and turbocharged. I like to make sure I cross shop all my options.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The Veyron is a fat pig of a car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cayman's are really fantastic cars. I'd have no qualms driving one of those beauties. That said, if I were to get something different at this time, a garage queen would be a GT350 or worked up Supra, track queen, Ariel Atom no doubt. Those Atoms have to be one of the purest driving experiences left in this world.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Unless its snowing, or raining out, the Cayman R is going to walk the RS. Too much weight advantage, chassis balance, and ultimate grip.

This assumes equal drivers.

The RS is incredibly good for what it is, but it still works within an unideal chassis framework. Too much weight on the nose, too much weight overall, tires too narrow.... The AWD and other tricky bits really do help the RS out though.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Weight and aero are the Achilles' heels of the FoRS.... you will feel this more & more once you're at higher speeds whether on straights or high-speed bends on the track particularly north of 100mph. The 987-R and 981-GT4 does much better on these two factors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts