Ford Focus RS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had an Evo 8 that was pretty well set up. Loved that car.

The RS blows it away in just about every category (stock to stock).

I almost got an Evo X, but ultimately wanted a different platform to explore.

I was very close to buying an STI, but held out.

I still can't wipe this **** eating grin off my face since buying the car!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The non-fold down rear seat in the Evo has me scratching my head.
@Myau, How about some links to the Facebook pages please.:) I found some Recaros on Car-part.com from some scrap yards. Nothing near me though.
The seat does not fold down because the battery and windshield washer reservoir are immediately behind it due to engineering for superior weight distribution vs. Evo IX.

Here's some FB pages for you guys. I'm on a cell phone ATM, so this is mobile site info:
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=135631979907229&tsid=0.8379222226794809&source=typeahead
https://m.facebook.com/groups/225863667537263?tsid=0.8477822572458535&source=typeahead

When I was at the track last weekend there was an Evo X out there, I didn't talk to him but I think the car was getting hot. He would run quick for 2 laps or so and then bumble around the track out of the line for a lap or so and then take off again.
I know this platform like the back of my hand. No way the all-wheel-drive system or engine are getting hot under hard track usage in a car that's in proper working order.

There are rare instances of inexperienced tuners causing the car to go into a limp mode due to improper programming of torque tables, but that's almost unheard of now in 2016.

The only other thing we see is that the SST (DSG style semi-automatic) transmission cars can sometimes go into a limp mode if not tuned properly for mods. Manual cars don't do this. The SST is faster shifting, but I'd advise anyone considering one of these cars to track with mods to buy a manual.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have heard of fuel surging under hard cornering or high G-forces that can cause the Evo to limp a bit?

I actually saw one in one of my sessions do that at Homestead last month but that EvoX was heavily modded.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have heard of fuel surging under hard cornering or high G-forces that can cause the Evo to limp a bit?

I actually saw one in one of my sessions do that at Homestead last month but that EvoX was heavily modded.
I wish. Unfortunately, that starvation causes no limp, but can actually cause catastrophic engine failure on race rubber due to a lean condition from really high G cornering. The fix is to track with a half tank of fuel at minimum.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I wish. Unfortunately, that starvation causes no limp, but can actually cause catastrophic engine failure on race rubber due to a lean condition from really high G cornering. The fix is to track with a half tank of fuel at minimum.
No one offers a baffled tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
The 2015 Subaru STI also had this fuel starvation issue as I had it happen in a long right sweeper on the gas going fairly fast.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Resurrecting a dead thread, but I was just thinking the other day.

The GKN Twinster unit basically consists of a driveshaft that connects the PTU to the RDU, which itself consists of 2 clutch packs for the left and right rear wheels.

Comparing it to the Evo X AWD setup, you have:
- Front LSD
- Active Centre Differential (ACD) with clutch pack to lock/transfer torque
- Rear Diff with twin clutch packs (left and right, just like the RS).

The idea of active torque vectoring with the GKN Twinster isn't all that new, if you think about the rear diff on the X (which was first released on the X in 2007, almost a decade ago). Although, having said that, the GKN design seems to have replaced the need for a centre differential entirely. 10 years does bring you a lot of improvements.

Although mechanically very different designs and the Evo X would potentially require greater maintainence, it would have been very interesting to see what Mitsubishi could have achieved if they had the goal, budget and vision to create a successor to the X.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I believe the designs for EVO and STI were both focused on a Rally car, while Ford basically ignored dirt use and set the RS up for tarmac...hence the difference in purpose/design.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The 2015 Subaru STI also had this fuel starvation issue as I had it happen in a long right sweeper on the gas going fairly fast.
All Subarus do this...therefore the need for a surge pot or surge tank in STI tarmac cars. Not as critical for gravel, but most gravel STI's run the STI in-tank surge pot. Comparing the STI and EVO as far as tarmac vs gravel, in general terms I think it's fair to say that the STI is a better gravel rally car and the EVO a better tarmac car. I would expect a standard RS would be a superior tarmac car to a standard EVO.

·
Registered
626 Posts
All Subarus do this...therefore the need for a surge pot or surge tank in STI tarmac cars. Not as critical for gravel, but most gravel STI's run the STI in-tank surge pot. Comparing the STI and EVO as far as tarmac vs gravel, in general terms I think it's fair to say that the STI is a better gravel rally car and the EVO a better tarmac car. I would expect a standard RS would be a superior tarmac car to a standard EVO.
Almost all cars from factory have that issue......not really model specific when your pushing close to or over 1g sideways for a few seconds. I had one car for 100000kms (about 2 years back then), almost every second week the head gasket would go from fuel starvation, dealership was ecstatic when I modded it the best way possible, by trading it in. New owner found spun bearings and more.......

Evo harder to drive faster than STi on gravel but quicker, Evo not really powerful enough for good tarmac fun without some mods and strengthening, same as STi.
RS is brilliant dirt or sealed road, Drift mode is a lot of fun on dirt, but you can get the same results with track mode and traction switched of properly. The rear end on the RS is a work of design engineering brilliance, it is the use of electric style motor using a petrol engine, expect it to be on most all cars that are awd within 3-5 years, it is safety to the nth degree and fun to boot

·
Super Moderator
15,624 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,624 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,624 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good thing it's for charity... hope all of it indeed goes to that!

View attachment 68058

And it's a good thing as well that I got my Final Edition (#1150) for ~ 6k below msrp...

But the RS still wins! :D

View attachment 68066
Did you buy your EVO for fun or for appreciation in mind?
With all your cars, I'd have a tough time in the morning deciding which one to drive.
Nice problem to have.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Did you buy your EVO for fun or for appreciation in mind?
With all your cars, I'd have a tough time in the morning deciding which one to drive.
Nice problem to have.
Enjoy.
For fun. And it'll remain bone stock. This thing won't be going up in big value even for the next 3 decades or so... but it won't deeply dive in value neither.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts