Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
70% total torque can go to the rear. Of that, 100% can go to either wheel if needed.
And we still don't know if that 70% to rear requires both rear clutches at 100% of design. If does while sending 100% of rear to one side you may only be able to send about 35% to rear. That 70% back 100% to one side was from marketing... so lots of salt for real world use.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
They also said they benchmarked it agains the EVO and that it was no longer relevant. There were other cars mentioned, but the EVO was on the short list.
Since the EVO is basically EOL it wouldn't be relevant anyways. I'd be a little surprised if it drives better than the EVO though. I trust the EVO AWD system far more, especially when one adds power....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The GKN engineer working on the project talked to a race car driver that tested the RS. Quote from the race diver was that the RS was the best handling car over the STi and evo.

Reactions: KingZee

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Pretty sure there are very few RWD biased AWD systems. The GTR is really the only one that comes to mind.
BMW, Infiniti... Any car that is RWD with a AWD option is going to be RWD biased generally.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If I remember correctly BMW and infiniti systems are not biased in any sort of direction. They are set up to provide power to any set of wheels or individual wheel as needed. More like full time AWD. The GTR has the trans in the rear and is set up to be full time RWD until individual wheels need power in the front for grip. Kind of the opposite of the RS.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If I remember correctly BMW and infiniti systems are not biased in any sort of direction. They are set up to provide power to any set of wheels or individual wheel as needed. More like full time AWD. The GTR has the trans in the rear and is set up to be full time RWD until individual wheels need power in the front for grip. Kind of the opposite of the RS.
Infiniti (G37, etc) are, or at least used to be, 100% RWD until power was needed elsewhere. I haven't looked at either in a few years though. BMW is 40:60 until it's needed elsewhere, still RWD biased though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As an owner of a 2003 EVO VIII with moderate amounts of mods, I am very interested in this car. To me, the main things I'm interested are:

1) Will the Focus RS have the telepathic steering feel and handling of the EVO or will it compromise more of this for better ride quality

2) How much power and torque the 2.3 L ecoboost engine block can handle and how it compares to the EVO

Has anyone driven the past European RS (I know it was FWD) and the EVO and can comment on the steering feel? Is there any data on the ecoboost engine in other models, such as the Mustang, showing how much WHP and torque at the wheels the engine block can reliably handle with a good tune?
My thoughts exactly. I've had a 420whp 2005 Evo 8 daily driver and currently have a 350whp Evo X MR as a daily driver. The main reasons I've had two Evos where the great AWD system and how easy and some what inexpensive they are to mod. I have 80K miles already on my MR, so a new car will be in the works in the next few years. Lets hope the RS pans out. Otherwise I'll look for a newer model X with fewer miles.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I think the RS is going to have all of us rethinking our ideas about FW versus RW bias. This car's drivetrain can make choices, not simply react mechanically. I believe this is why the GKN engineers kept emphasizing that it's all about the algorithms. An Evo (VW-R, RS3, etc.) simply can't respond intelligently. This may also mean that the EVO will remain the choice of those for whom HP numbers are priority one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spec'd an RS yesterday, and the local Ford dealer prepped me for a June delivery. I guess that just gives me time to read the media's test drives/reviews in January. I don't care about power. I only care that it has the telepathic/surgical steering feel of my Evo X. (And precise, short throw shifting.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's the thing, I have owned a bunch of evo's of the last 8 years. I have owned 2 VIII's, both over 600 and 3 X's the last the pump gas record holdng X. Reason I sold my X and put the RS on preorder is one really simple reason, livability. The RS's interior can't be worse then a ST's, and the evo's interior, regardless of the generation is really really spartan. The seats in the Evo are great on the track, but I have driven to the Buschur Shootout in Ohio from NY and I can tell you 9 hours in them is really hard. No lumbar support around hour 5 starts to get you. Now on the flip side, get on a track in the X and those seats are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can also tell you the lack of 6th gear in the X GSR makes highway cruising tough if the trans is stock. I had the final drive and it was still annoying cause there was a huge gap between 4 and 5, but atleast 80 wasn't 33800rpm. Even if the RS is slightly slower on the track, if it gives 8 or a 9 compared to the Evo, it will still be light years ahead of the STI and Golf R. In anycase I'll be building the RS so what ever it's lacking compared to the X, that'll be fixed. Anyway just my 2 cents as a long time Evo and pump gas record holding owner.

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
Here's the thing, I have owned a bunch of evo's of the last 8 years. I have owned 2 VIII's, both over 600 and 3 X's the last the pump gas record holdng X. Reason I sold my X and put the RS on preorder is one really simple reason, livability. The RS's interior can't be worse then a ST's, and the evo's interior, regardless of the generation is really really spartan. The seats in the Evo are great on the track, but I have driven to the Buschur Shootout in Ohio from NY and I can tell you 9 hours in them is really hard. No lumbar support around hour 5 starts to get you. Now on the flip side, get on a track in the X and those seats are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can also tell you the lack of 6th gear in the X GSR makes highway cruising tough if the trans is stock. I had the final drive and it was still annoying cause there was a huge gap between 4 and 5, but atleast 80 wasn't 33800rpm. Even if the RS is slightly slower on the track, if it gives 8 or a 9 compared to the Evo, it will still be light years ahead of the STI and Golf R. In anycase I'll be building the RS so what ever it's lacking compared to the X, that'll be fixed. Anyway just my 2 cents as a long time Evo and pump gas record holding owner.
Guessing you mean 3380 or 3800 RPM @ 80mph. That is not bad at all. My Civic was turning 3400 @ 60MPH. Red line is at 6700. On trips to and from PA from NC I was going 80-85 and turning 4500-4800 for hours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guessing you mean 3380 or 3800 RPM @ 80mph. That is not bad at all. My Civic was turning 3400 @ 60MPH. Red line is at 6700. On trips to and from PA from NC I was going 80-85 and turning 4500-4800 for hours.
Yeah 3300 sorry, didn't realize. But in all seriousness owned an SI at one point, not nearly as bad as the X on long trips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lot of people complaining about the x's interior. I have to say I love my MR for short to medium trips. I daily drive mine, with a full compliment of bolt on mods, and enjoy it. But there are 2 things that have me very interested in the RS.
1) M-6. I bought my MR new (2014) and I often question my decision. The sst is OK for around town, but I often miss having a clutch pedal and a proper gear shift.
2) the RS's ecoboost engine is a steel sleeved aluminum block. This should be very capable of handling 500whp and 400+ ftlbs true numbers on a mustang dyno.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Lot of people complaining about the x's interior. I have to say I love my MR for short to medium trips. I daily drive mine, with a full compliment of bolt on mods, and enjoy it. But there are 2 things that have me very interested in the RS.
1) M-6. I bought my MR new (2014) and I often question my decision. The sst is OK for around town, but I often miss having a clutch pedal and a proper gear shift.
2) the RS's ecoboost engine is a steel sleeved aluminum block. This should be very capable of handling 500whp and 400+ ftlbs true numbers on a mustang dyno.

I agree on the MR interior. I have the full leather, navigation, etc etc 2014 MR and I find that the interior quality is just fine. I get many compliments on the piano black looks and of course the Recaro seats. I just went and looked at an ST interior, which had the blue Recaro seats and found them pretty cheesy looking to be honest.

Here's my thought process on it though. I do have a 99 FRC Corvette as my fun car (6 speed) but I do find myself thinking almost daily about getting into another manual car for a DD. Even though I do hate traffic, I have felt so far that the MR just doesn't keep my entertained all the other times I drive. The biggest hang up for me is the look of the car. I find the EVO to have a bit more sophisticated look while the RS has a bit more of a boy-tuner style to it. Now my previous car was a 2011 WRX hatch so I'm used to that style, but I'm not sure I want to go back to it at this point in my life (going into my 30's in April).

Has anyone thought the same way with the way the Focus looks compared to the EVO or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
561 Posts
The Evo is definitely understated but I don't think the RS is over the top minus the wing which I'm not a huge fan of BUT, everything on it is functional aero/cooling so I have a hard time complaining too much. STI's as an example have hood scoops you could fit a small child in and wings as large as the largest parking benches. That's a little too boy racer (while I'm sure still functional) just too over the top.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Reactions: randman2011

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Hideous. I'm definitely sold on the drivetrain but after going and looking at the ST I can't say I'm sold on the interior or exterior yet. I want to sit in an RS with the leather and navigation package before I pull the trigger. That is of course the handling is superior to my X and the drivetrain is as solid as it seems.

The benefit I have is, I'm going on deployment in June for about 7 months. When I get back, they should have all of the upgrades out and dyno tests done with bolt ons and all that. I'll also start looking at the 2017 or the 2016 turn in models, but I don't think I'd buy the 2016 brand new, just due to initial model year concerns. I won't have any additional miles on the evo either, so I can make up my mind then.

41 - 60 of 120 Posts