Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over almost 15 years I had owned many cars similar in this class and am considering another daily driven all weather driver's car. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Lancer Evolution or the new Focus RS.

I'm coming from WRX,Evo 8,9, STI SE, TTRS, CLA45, and currently drive the Fiesta ST.

Believe it or not the Lancer Evolution was the best. All the other cars are wanna be evo's moving towards sports coupe rather and daily driven pure sports car feel. I am now strongly considering the Focus RS due to my Fiesta ST experience. After taking a test drive just to try it, i fell in love with the way it drove. It reminds me if the Lancer Evolution in front wheel drive form. Good feel and turn in.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The RS will be no different and should kick it up a few notches from the FiST. You may just have to wait a while to test drive on but it will be worth it :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have to wait but if this is somewhat limited production I may not have a chance to test drive.

I did test drove the S3 and I would imagine the 2015 Golf R may not be a bad choice. If for some reason the golf R is as good as the RS I'd say coming with a spare tire would be the tie breaker.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
From words of Ford, the Golf R, STI, EVO, CLA45AMG are no longer considered competition. They stated the RS offers an experience that they can not touch in there last testing.

We will have to wait to see if these words are true but I do have some faith and fully believe in the AWD system they employ which will get rid of my biggest issue with AWD, understeer.

Ford also stated they have the capacity to build as many FoRS' needed to meet demand, again something we will have to see about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They stated the RS offers an experience that they can not touch in there last testing.
Very interesting. I'm sure the FoRS may be the fastest on the track compared to the competition. The Lancer Evolution is the only car on the list that has a proper AWD system with hydraulic clutches aiding the diffs. Amazingly, the same AYC system was around with the evo 6 in 1999. So ahead of it's time and just now everyone is catching up. If the FoRS uses some electrical or haldex type clutch units replacing actual differentials i'm afraid it will have an artificial feel vs mechanical feel. I guess I will hear what journalist say about this car if i cannot test drive it. I'm very interested in the outcome and as long as Mitsubishi doesn't release a proper final edition, i'm willing to wait to.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Very interesting. I'm sure the FoRS may be the fastest on the track compared to the competition. The Lancer Evolution is the only car on the list that has a proper AWD system with hydraulic clutches aiding the diffs. Amazingly, the same AYC system was around with the evo 6 in 1999. So ahead of it's time and just now everyone is catching up. If the FoRS uses some electrical or haldex type clutch units replacing actual differentials i'm afraid it will have an artificial feel vs mechanical feel. I guess I will hear what journalist say about this car if i cannot test drive it. I'm very interested in the outcome and as long as Mitsubishi doesn't release a proper final edition, i'm willing to wait to.
Sadly I'm not sure how fast the RS will be. Ford stated the RS will be the best drivers car and concentrated on feel over cutting seconds. I'm sure it will be fast, I'm just not willing to say the fastest. The way they have been talking about being and amazing drivers car, I think you will feel very connected no matter what. The feel may be off from a true mechanical system but it should work with you regardless. The system is using a modified GKN Twinster unit. The system has two clutches connected to a spool that act as the diff. They control for and aft power along with side to side. This is the closest system to the AYC but still not 100% copy.

I would also be weary on buying any Mitsubishi product as I don't see them lasting much longer. This has been going on for years and dropping the EVO means the end may be near. If the aftermarket has you guys covered for parts and that the warranty may drop if they go under doesn't bother you then it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
They also said they benchmarked it agains the EVO and that it was no longer relevant. There were other cars mentioned, but the EVO was on the short list.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the evo guys compair the RS to the evo x. I'm guessing it will be close to the same aside from that dam drift button. That might be the only thing making the RS better. Most STi guys will crap their pants and not look back if they never drove the evo x or 2015 STi. I'm picturing tellapathic handling and hope I'm not setting myself up for dissapointment

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the evo guys compair the RS to the evo x. I'm guessing it will be close to the same aside from that dam drift button. That might be the only thing making the RS better. Most STi guys will crap their pants and not look back if they never drove the evo x or 2015 STi. I'm picturing tellapathic handling and hope I'm not setting myself up for dissapointment
With the way Ford has been talking that is exactly how you should think. They say they aimed for a true drivers car and really focused on driver engagement and the experience the RS will give back to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The EVO X is getting old quick, IMO. My buddy just picked up a new MR and they do handle great though. I still prefer my GSR but have to appreciate not everyone wants to be shifting and technology happens. With the EVO getting killed off and the WRX no longer available in a hatch, I think FORD is coming in at just the right time. I still wonder how the GOLF R is going to match up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Of all the cars i've owned, my evo 10's were my favorite. Nothing drove quite like them. The torque vectoring awd system would get you out of all kinds of situations. I was going to get a 3rd after I sold my m4 but with the focus rs coming, it's made me change my mind. I really think this is going to be a special car and I'm losing my mind waiting for it.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Not driven a 10, just a IX, well, not really "driven" the IX either, just from grid to start and from finish to grid 6 times. Was fun on course though and I'm hoping to be running it more this year.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Of all the cars i've owned, my evo 10's were my favorite. Nothing drove quite like them. The torque vectoring awd system would get you out of all kinds of situations. I was going to get a 3rd after I sold my m4 but with the focus rs coming, it's made me change my mind. I really think this is going to be a special car and I'm losing my mind waiting for it.
How did your 2016 RS compare ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The EVO X is getting old quick, IMO. My buddy just picked up a new MR and they do handle great though. I still prefer my GSR but have to appreciate not everyone wants to be shifting and technology happens. With the EVO getting killed off and the WRX no longer available in a hatch, I think FORD is coming in at just the right time. I still wonder how the GOLF R is going to match up.
In a straight line the Golf R is barely a match for an ST with the mildest warranty-friendly Mountune upgrade - once both are rolling (I have the latter and have tested it ;)). From a standing start the Golf will take it easily though. Now, I can't comment on handling on the GolfR as I haven't been in one or behind one trying to keep up (lol) but I strongly suspect the Golf R will not even be in the same league as the new RS. Thats why they are making the Golf R400 - but that is likely to start at around €10k more than the RS.

Starting with a 2.3l rather than the 2.0l of the Golf and having an extra €10k to spend on mods, I know which direction i'd be going! (500HP Focus anyone? :cool:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lancer Evolution X would be a mistake!
I'm still going back and forth and also throwing the BMW M2 in the mix even though it's not AWD. I do have an allocation for a 2015 Final Edition Evo X so if I miss out it's probably gone. I like the comfy MR shock in 5-speed forum and would have already bought one in 2012 if that was offered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Evo X is a ton of fun to drive, I don't think I could live with it as a daily driver though. Especially considering how massively much more refined/equipped comparable cars are these days.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts