Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
589 Posts
I went from Big Turbo ST (2867r) full bolt ones, tuned by FreekTune. To a wrx STI (stock) to my focus RS (exhaust is the only mod/ stock tune).

I miss my ST . The STI was fun because rumble but it was stock and I didn't want to deal with sunny problems later on. So I moved on to my RS and tbh I love the RS but I miss the power my ST had. I will probably start the bolt on mods the RS soon. Haven't figured out what tune to go with though. Livernoise or AP something.

Is the RS faster than the STI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
589 Posts
Yes, but the STI had a more raw feeling to it.

Some days I try to talk myself into the ST, but then I look at RS ads & I just love the way it looks. I’m not the type to mod anything, so just looking for something you won’t see everyday on the street & have a little fun at times, when I make a right turn & there’s no one around.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Some days I try to talk myself into the ST, but then I look at RS ads & I just love the way it looks. I’m not the type to mod anything, so just looking for something you won’t see everyday on the street & have a little fun at times, when I make a right turn & there’s no one around.

If both were just FWD I'd say get the ST. However, you can't modify an ST into an RS without significant fabrication since you'd need to modify the rear floor pan ALOT.

The AWD is just too fantastic on this car to get an ST if you can get into the RS. Aside from the extra power, the AWD adds both performance and real world usability in any weather condition.

·
Registered
2016 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
36 Posts
After having both, I'd agree. I don't regret buying my ST, or the time I had it. It was a great car. Comfortable, smooth, fun to drive, great road trip car. When I saw an RS driving along was the only time I wished I didn't buy my ST. Now, owning an RS, I should have just bought one from the get go. More expensive, yes, but so many more reasons to spend a little more.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I remember when I ordered my ST. Ford lied to me. All of their press releases and info said “no we will never build an RS” and that’s the only reason they got my money. Of course about a year later they dropped info on the RS and I was pretty sour about that

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
I remember when I ordered my ST. Ford lied to me. All of their press releases and info said “no we will never build an RS” and that’s the only reason they got my money. Of course about a year later they dropped info on the RS and I was pretty sour about that

LOL, and yet you are here with a Ford!

Reactions: PokerRun388

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought a 2018 ST3 in December 2018. Brand new and my first fun car I have owned in roughly 7 years. I really wanted a RS, but balked at the new price for a 2018 for some reason. In my mind I was saying "it's still just a Focus."

Did the Octane Academy last August. At this point I was already looking for a clean used RS for a good price. Driving the FiST and FoST on the track out there sealed the deal for me, as I enjoyed the Fiesta way more than the Focus. Both are great cars of course, with an immense amount of grip, predictability, and handling for a FWD platform.

The day of my travel back home a local dealership had posted a 2017 NB RS2 with 11K miles and all recalls and HG work completed. Never tuned from what they could tell and only had a Borla S-Type cat-back. I left with it that night and sold the ST the next month.

Daily driving, the ST and RS feel somewhat similar, but you can tell that the RS has a bit more poise, less body roll. It's when you decide to push the RS a little that you notice that you are now on a completely different planet from the ST.

The amount of grip is surprising sometimes, and it has taken some time for me to realize that in situations where the ST would understeer or would snap the back end around on throttle lift, the RS just stays tucked and planted. Corner exit is probably the largest noticable difference. In the RS I am on throttle so quickly, where in the ST I would have to make sure that I was clearly through the apex and lined up for exit before applying throttle.

Even at part throttle daily driving, even where the cars feel somewhat similar, there is still a balance to the RS over the ST and you can feel the AWD system working exactly when and where you need it.

There is never a moment where the RS does not bring a smile to my face. It is definitely not just another Focus. It is a pure driving machine for the enthusiast.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts