Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am currently on my second X and it is starting to feel a little dated. I'm looking at getting something new but with similar feel to the car. I had a 2016 STI for 4 months but I didn't like how the car handled when pushed. Has anyone owned both a X and a RS and can talk to the general feel of driving the car both as a daily and as a track car. I will be 80% DD and 20% track with the car. I have heard that the RS has stiff suspension which the X has also been accused of and both have bland interiors. But is the RS as fun as the X, does it feel like it's on rails through the turns?

·
Registered
202 Posts
So I am currently on my second X and it is starting to feel a little dated. I'm looking at getting something new but with similar feel to the car. I had a 2016 STI for 4 months but I didn't like how the car handled when pushed. Has anyone owned both a X and a RS and can talk to the general feel of driving the car both as a daily and as a track car. I will be 80% DD and 20% track with the car. I have heard that the RS has stiff suspension which the X has also been accused of and both have bland interiors. But is the RS as fun as the X, does it feel like it's on rails through the turns?
Good Morning. Honestly this is a FORS forums. Most answers you will get will be RS ftw. But I think in the long run, EVO will be easy to fix if you break it :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I came from the Evo 9 and driven the Evo X and currently own the Ford RS so I can tell you some things. If you consider wanting to have MORE than a 400HP car I would go with the Evo X being the RDU not being able to be flashed so all the added HP goes to the front wheels. The other plus for the Evo X is more precise handling when doing maneuvers like passing a another car. The Ford RS (even with the LSD) will not be as sharp (you will hear people calling this torque steer, however its not actual torque steer) But you car will feel going Left/Right and will require both hands on the wheel for sure. other plus is I am pretty certain the Evo X will handle better in the SNOW ( I have not actually driven the RS in the snow but im leaning that way. The Evo is much easier to work on than the RS for sure. Other then that the FORD RS is a much better car. During bends as you have inquired about the RS is better then the Evo 9 and X. You don't have to worry about replacing a ACD Pump like you do in the Evo every 30-50 thousand miles. The RS has heated Seats and steering, Seats are better in the RS. The Torque in the RS is a lot better down LOW RPM. The RS is much safer I believe in crash test. The Paint quality in the RS is much better than the cheap Evo. Overal interior is better in the RS, navigatgion is nice and big and has a rear view camera.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was also an owner of an Evo VIII and 2 Evo x's. Stock for stock, I feel the RS is a much better car. The comments above are pretty much the same as my opinion, other than the handling part. I feel the RS can take turns at speeds the Evo can only dream of. And I've heard of guys having issues with the car tracking straight, but I don't really ever experience it. Snow driving isn't a problem in either. The main concern is ground clearance. Ultimately I loved all of cars and each has their place. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was also an owner of an Evo VIII and 2 Evo x's. Stock for stock, I feel the RS is a much better car. The comments above are pretty much the same as my opinion, other than the handling part. I feel the RS can take turns at speeds the Evo can only dream of. And I've heard of guys having issues with the car tracking straight, but I don't really ever experience it. Snow driving isn't a problem in either. The main concern is ground clearance. Ultimately I loved all of cars and each has their place. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
I dont have that issue too tracking straight. I also owned 2 GSR and 1 MR since I am friend with South Coast Mitsubishi, Sam always hooked it up with new evos for me. That being said, all my evos were modded however, I still overall my RS hits the spot. I just think in the long run, evo's are cheaper and easier to fix. Reliability to me might go to the evo since all the post i'm seeing on this forums are RS blowing up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Club DSM since 1997 and the Talon Digest. 2017 RS2 bought about 6 weeks ago.

I miss my X big time! But I'm loving the RS and it ticks all the boxes. What I miss most is open source ECU tuning. Tephra Mods were the snitz.

What's probably bugging me so much right now about the RS is everything I'm hearing about parts availability. Not that I'm wanting/planning to need OEM parts anytime soon, but Mitsu didn't have any such problem in my experience nor did I hear of any. Amazing I can say that compared to Ford given the relative sizes.

Ok the biggest thing I hate ... RRE isn't really supporting the RS :(

To answer your specific questions and more. The moment I sat behind the wheel of the RS and started my test drive, I felt just like I was driving the EVO except for all the reversed controls;

High beams: push vs pull
Wipers: up vs down
Steering wheel radio: right vs left side
Cruise control: left vs right side
... I still have to make a conscious effort to think about what to do with the levers in the RS. They are just BACKWARDS after 30 years of driving a mitsubishi

Random comparison thoughts I've had

Steering responsiveness: same greatness
throttle tip-in: same greatness
low end torque: better
mid-range power: stronger for sure
top end power: stock it runs out of steam
suspension: honestly feels a little less BUSY, but is clearly just as firm
Exhaust note: much more satisfying when you get on it outside of Normal mode
Rear seat room: worse but still usable
Trunk space: WAY BETTER! But of course it is a hatcback
Highway on/off ramp handling: feels just as good ... yes it's on RAILS ... though so far I feel like the Evo had a more pronounced pivot at the limit that I fould very satisfying. But I'm also still slowly learning the RS's limits.
Track handling: I can't speak to that yet. For sure the lack of a true LSD does hamper the RS as many track reviews have pointed out
Infotainment system: ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG ANDROID AUTO WITH WAZE!!!!!!
Fit and Finish: about even I'd say. At 2500 miles the RS has no rattles yet, the EVO had some but it also had 60k miles
Ease of maintenance like oil changes: Evo is way better with an easy access panel and front center jack point. I consider the RS pretty friggin unacceptable in that regard but it is minor enough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd say if you want to keep your car stock, then go for the RS. If you want to do a bunch of stuff and make it more track worthy then keep the STI. The RS is great as a daily driver that wants to do track work but the STI can be so much more. I can't speak for the EVO but I'd say for sure just keep the STI if you already have it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sold the STI, I didn't enjoy the car as much the way the car uses the brakes to slow the inner rear wheel as apposed to the Evo's adding power to the outside wheel was a major issue with me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
OP - having owned 3 Evos ('05 GSR, '08 GSR, '10 MR-T), driven many others going all the way back to the summer of 2003 when they first hit the ground in the US, driven every single model of STI since they also hit the ground in 2003, and now owning a 2017 Focus RS, I can unequivocally state that you will LOVE the RS, at least on the street (no track use for me).

I was prepared to be underwhelmed when I test drove one earlier this summer but was absolutely blown away by it's chassis and strong power. The steering speed actually seems maybe quicker than an Evo and the car will fly through corners at much higher speeds than you can believe, just like those Evos did almost 15 years ago. Oh, and the 4 wheel drifts you can do are 100% Evo-like in terms of ease and manageability. This car is rowdy rowdy rowdy!

The RS is definitely a step up in terms of day-to-day live-ability and has all of the modern conveniences. It seems so much smaller to drive around in and park, and is such an easy car to use when you drive it like a normal car (especially with Steeda clutch spring).

Biggest changes I would like would be slightly shorter gearing (3rd is good for almost 95mph!?!) and more of a top-end hit of power (although the mid-range hit, especially with a tune, is pretty stout).

Oh, and as for the 2015+ STI, um, well, if people really think it's even a fraction as much fun as an RS or Evo, then we will have to agree to disagree.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a 14 Evo X and now own a 17 RS. I only had the Evo X for only two years before switching to a M235i. I think you may like the RS but IMO it is different than the Evo X. The Evo X has one mode and it doesn't feel as harsh as the RS in sport mode or quite as soft as the RS in normal mode, it's in between from my experience. The Evo X as you know only has 291HP stock, but it felt just as fast as the RS stock IMO. I got the Evo X tuned, and it had more torque than the RS I have tuned, with a Cobb AP with the stg 1. This was a pro-tune however (on the Evo).

The RS is a little more refined. Having six gears really makes it nicer compared to the Evo X only having five, unless you have an MR. I really didn't push the Evo x as hard when I had it like I have the RS, since I have a little more experience driving aggressively (only having one and my first HPDE last year). One thing I haven't been able to duplicate on the RS or my BMW before that, is the way the Evo X exits a corner.

The brakes on the RS are just as good if not a little better. I drove the RS in the mountains in Georgia and it gripped like crazy. I wish I had a chance to drive the Evo X up there. I actually miss the Evo X a little, and the RS drives differently to me. I don't regret getting the RS, having said that. The RS has a lot of things I like better than the Evo, that are not related to the driving feel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
OP- Was in the same boat as you — Had a pretty stock 12 Evo X GSR which really ticked many boxes, but felt it was getting a bit long in the tooth and wanted something a bit easier to live with.

I replaced it with an RS earlier this year and was worried if the RS would be as much fun — I’m not so much interested in absolute speed but in having a good time doing that speed.

The Evo was auto-crossed, rallyx’d and ice raced and the only mod I eventually did was a stage 1 Accessport.
From a fun perspective, the 2 cars are very comparable. The Evo tended to want to rotate a tad more than the focus, but sometimes the X could not hide its weight, something the focus does a wonderful job doing.

Ironically, I could do drifts more easily in the X, and it could be very tail happy when you wanted it to play. Through slaloms in autocross, the X always seems to get a tad confused. It was the only place the Evo’s AWD system struggled, as it performed amazingly everywhere else. The angles you could put the X at and recover when hooning on snow/gravel were unbelievable and was such a blast to drive on those surfaces.

The RS’s 4WD system is feels a fraction more artificial, but it works wonders on countering understeer.
I have not had a chance to take it out on snow/gravel, but I can vouch that in the rain and dry it’s a huge amount of fun. It feels a fraction less natural than the X, but it’s very effective, and would probably be fractionally faster, stock vs stock.

Things the Evo X does better
Evo feels faster on boost - It comes on like a kick in the behind — The focus is so much more linear with its power that it doesn’t feel as fast because of this, even though it is.
Seats — The Evos recaros are bloody awesome and positioned nicely — Focus recaros seats are fine, but a tad high.
Rear Space — The evo is a bigger car. No question.
Suspension — Stock vs Stock, the Evo handles bumps better — The Focus can feel skittish and feels a little firmer and fidgety — Both fine to live with — Track suspension mode on the focus is horrid and slower than comfort.

Things the Focus does better
Gearbox- 6 gears and no grind like the evo - No highway drone.
Noise — The evo sounded like a vacuum cleaner — The focus has a bloody great hum with pops and bangs adding to the fun.
Trunk space — Although you’ll fit more in the focus, golf clubs preferred the evo as it’s trunk is much wider.
Daily Driving/Living — The focus can be a *****cat when you want it to be — It can be an absolute nutter when you want - The Evo wasn’t good at that sort of duality.
Fit finish — The focus is a nicer place to spend time — No question there.
Launch control — Having fried an evo clutch, the focus is a lot easier to get off the line due to the nature if the 4WD system.

Overall, the Focus is just as much fun as the Evo - What it lacks in rotation it makes up for with noise, nicer gearbox and just an easier car to live with. Can’t wait to get it on snow and see how it does there.
While you may miss a couple of things about the Evo, I don’t think you’ll regret the switch.

(Had an 05 STI before this, and they liked to understeer - The Evo and RS do not..)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had an 08 GSR and still think very fondly of it. It was a great car. The RS is a newer and overall better car than my Evo was, but not necessarily better in all categories. I think the way the power band comes on in the Evo is a lot of fun, and it feels FAST when you really get on it. The RS has much better low end and should be faster than the Evo but the feel is more linear (less exciting). Also, it is still amazing that the handling in the Evo is still so good compared to newer cars even after all these years. I'd say the handling felt better than the RS by just a hair. But for everything else, the RS is hands down better. It's newer, nicer inside, has more modern features and the trunk is so much better than the Evo. Visibility is better and the rear camera really helps. Even though the turning circle is slightly worse in the RS, it's not a hard car to park. Also, the gas mileage on the highway is pretty decent in the RS. It's a natural progression from the Evo X, and I like that it has made me respect my old car that much more as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
So OP ... I believe you have caught theme. Yes? :)

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
If you're the kind of guy who needs 600+ all wheel hp, stick with the Evo...

The RS will never be able to withstand that kind of (reliable)power unless someone does a Evo motor swap in the RS. just sayin'.

The RS is not all about raw power though.. It's about handling, and fun. I've never had the privilege to drive a Evo, I wanted to test drive one back in 14 before I bought my ST. I kind of regret not testing one. I still look at Evo's with great admiration. They are very cool cars.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you're the kind of guy who needs 600+ all wheel hp, stick with the Evo...

The RS will never be able to withstand that kind of (reliable)power unless someone does a Evo motor swap in the RS. just sayin'.

The RS is not all about raw power though.. It's about handling, and fun. I've never had the privilege to drive a Evo, I wanted to test drive one back in 14 before I bought my ST. I kind of regret not testing one. I still look at Evo's with great admiration. They are very cool cars.
My only contention would be that the EVO is a total blast to drive, all about handling and fun. In fact I feel like it was actually just a tad more fun than the RS. But I haven't REALLY flogged the RS yet. I will say, the EVO felt at once more predictable and more savage than the RS. But again, I'm really enjoying the RS and am slowly starting to consider the Evo somebody that I used to know ... right up until I see one on the street ... like an ex-GF ... and I feel that tightness in my chest.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can anyone tell me how the audio systems compare. I have the Rockford Fosgate in the X and it was definitely superior to the STI's Harmon Kardon system.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The Evo Xs Rockford Fosgate sound system was far superior to the RS system. I'm not a sound
Guru, but that Evo system was the best factory system I've ever owned. The sub on the Evo actually bumped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts