Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depreciation has always been my friend. I've never bought a car less than 4 years old, and I've never lost much money when it was time to sell ... but it goes beyond that. I even look down upon people who buy new cars because they rarely realize that depreciation is always the most expensive aspect of new car ownership ... not gas, not insurance, not loan interest, not maintenance. Now, I'm probably gonna have to eat crow.

A month ago I was dead-set on purchasing a 2011 E90 M3 (6MT and ZCP package) to replace my beloved S2000 later this year. Same old story ... baby on the way ... perfectly natural progression, right?

However, the more I read about the RS, the harder it is for me to see myself driving anything but an RS when they come out. You want a bizarre comparison? Here it is. Ones an American compact 5-door hatch with a crackling, back-firing turbo-4 and a trick AWD system that at Satan's command will engage a clutch pack to send 70% of the power to the outside rear wheel. This one is presumably only driven by flat billed brotatoes. The other is a German D-segment sedan with raucous, screaming NA V8 driving the rear wheels with an LSD the way God intended. This one is presumably only driven by greasy haired d-bags. Those differences aside, they've got more in common than just the $40k price range. They both seem to squeeze the most driving excitement that one can imagine into a fairly practical platform.

Am I the only one cross-shopping these vastly different cars?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nope, I have debated the exact same thing. I still find myself holding off for the RS though with the thought that it will be more fun and more up to date with current tech and such.

·
Registered
171 Posts
RS may hold it's value well being more limited and exclusive. Previous models have almost no depreciation besides some from mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are not alone - I test drove a 2008 M3, manual, awhile back and really liked it. But the lure of the RS, plus a warranty, is strong.
Previous fun car was a 2006 S2000, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
that's a special S2000, then!
I sold mine 4 years ago, to buy an engagement ring. No regrets! Sold to my best friend, who has it up to a whopping 30K miles, and it is immaculate. I still get to drive it.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sheesh ... those S2000s aren't even broken in yet. Mine recently eclipsed the 100K mark. It's my daily, and in the 2.5 years of ownership, the only thing I've had to do outside of scheduled maintenance was replace the DBW throttle sensor. It's close to stock, other than a Hondata Flashpro to lower the VTEC crossover point. This car is really too good of a recipe to mess with. I have a feeling the RS will be hard to improve upon from the factory as well.

It's a such a shame that Honda doesn't have a decent 4-door RWD or AWD performance car on the market for men with families. I was really hoping for better from the TLX V6 SH-AWD (2015 Acura TLX Review - Road Test / Track Test), but it wasn't built for enthusiasts the way the S2000 was.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Old thread I know, but I'm cross-shopping the exact same thing right now. I had an E46 M3 for the last six years that I've now sold, and an E36 M3 for the 6 years before that. I'm wondering if the E90 M3 is the better way to go now or not vs. the RS. Both with 4 doors, either one would serve my family needs well.

Depreciation has always been my friend. I've never bought a car less than 4 years old, and I've never lost much money when it was time to sell ... but it goes beyond that. I even look down upon people who buy new cars because they rarely realize that depreciation is always the most expensive aspect of new car ownership ... not gas, not insurance, not loan interest, not maintenance. Now, I'm probably gonna have to eat crow.

A month ago I was dead-set on purchasing a 2011 E90 M3 (6MT and ZCP package) to replace my beloved S2000 later this year. Same old story ... baby on the way ... perfectly natural progression, right?

However, the more I read about the RS, the harder it is for me to see myself driving anything but an RS when they come out. You want a bizarre comparison? Here it is. Ones an American compact 5-door hatch with a crackling, back-firing turbo-4 and a trick AWD system that at Satan's command will engage a clutch pack to send 70% of the power to the outside rear wheel. This one is presumably only driven by flat billed brotatoes. The other is a German D-segment sedan with raucous, screaming NA V8 driving the rear wheels with an LSD the way God intended. This one is presumably only driven by greasy haired d-bags. Those differences aside, they've got more in common than just the $40k price range. They both seem to squeeze the most driving excitement that one can imagine into a fairly practical platform.

Am I the only one cross-shopping these vastly different cars?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Old thread I know, but I'm cross-shopping the exact same thing right now. I had an E46 M3 for the last six years that I've now sold, and an E36 M3 for the 6 years before that. I'm wondering if the E90 M3 is the better way to go now or not vs. the RS. Both with 4 doors, either one would serve my family needs well.
Depends on what you want, the M3 is fun, but to really enjoy it you have to be at the top of the rev range....and it suffers from low torque. Also how much warranty is left on the car, and make sure you find out if the bearings have been replaced. I replaced mine at 20k miles and they were scorched to hell. Also would it be the DCT or 6 speed? DCT is fast and fine for Atlanta traffic, but boring...granted, my thought on that, I dont think there have been any issues with that transmission, however if something goes wrong with it, it will be costly. Granted I havent driven the RS, but I think it would be loads more fun, and more usable torque and power. Granted you dont have to worry about a vanos issue, or cracked subframe, but if you do go with the m3 make sure its been thoroughly cared for, had the bearings replaced......out of warranty repairs start at 1k.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Go with the RS. The E9x M3s are very "meh" road cars and repairs are bonkers expensive. The cost of the E9x M cars are also high, you're probably looking at a lot less than a $10k difference between a brand car that has nothing but glowing reviews(RS) vs a potential time bomb that has several years and thousands of miles of wear and tear.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The only other thing I was considering is even more absurd of a difference than an M3. Was considering a '07 S65 amg. It has performance, a lot of it. Twin turbo 6 liter v12 with amazing amounts of luxury. But maintenence would be obscene. So here I am a waiting. Still.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
The only other thing I was considering is even more absurd of a difference than an M3. Was considering a '07 S65 amg. It has performance, a lot of it. Twin turbo 6 liter v12 with amazing amounts of luxury. But maintenence would be obscene. So here I am a waiting. Still.
Very obscene and no warranty.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for necroing this thread.

I'm trading my e92 for an rs. Mine is a 2013 with 35k miles. It's a dct. I've had it almost exactly 3 years.

I need something that can handle snow and 4 doors. I'd consider trading mine for a 2011 e90 6 speed but idk. I'm getting pretty excited about the rs and I look at a 2013 in another 3 years with 60k miles being worth about 25k. The e90s keep dropping in value.

Everyone on the m3 forums loves them and say they are the last of the great m cars, but prices keep dropping and dropping and dropping. It's crazy. You can find 08-09s for 20k.

It feels crazy but to get a manual trans and awd and 4 doors, mine is worth the same as a new rs almost exactly.

If I turned mine in on a lease and it was time to buy a new car, would I chose to buy out my m3 or let it go and get a new rs?

Probably an rs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Go with the RS. The E9x M3s are very "meh" road cars and repairs are bonkers expensive. The cost of the E9x M cars are also high, you're probably looking at a lot less than a $10k difference between a brand car that has nothing but glowing reviews(RS) vs a potential time bomb that has several years and thousands of miles of wear and tear.
hopefully the RS will follow in the ST's footsteps and be a top five cheapest cars to maintain over five years

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
hopefully the RS will follow in the ST's footsteps and be a top five cheapest cars to maintain over five years
So far the only difference I can see would be the price of fluid changes, but if your already using synthetic in the ST it won't be much. We have the RDU & PTU which we have no idea exactly how much they will need to be serviced, possibly never if not driven hard.

Slightly more on brake pads but I'm sure they will be very close to what a good aftermarket set goes for with the ST.

Tires are pretty close even though there 19's and have fewer options still reasonable.

I think about my ST and I do need tires (was hoping to have the RS before that :( ) but the only money I have put into it would be for mods. I do my own oil changes for free, got to love dispensable bulk synthetic oil, and that's about it. I rotate my tires every season when I swap from winters, and they wear great for the 6K I put on them a season. I really can not think of anything I spent on the ST that wasn't mod related.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have never worried about depreciation, I buy cars I like and tend to keep them for a very long time, quite often they cycle from a higher buy price down to rock bottom and then back up again, generally just as I'm ready to sell!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
So far the only difference I can see would be the price of fluid changes, but if your already using synthetic in the ST it won't be much. We have the RDU & PTU which we have no idea exactly how much they will need to be serviced, possibly never if not driven hard.

Slightly more on brake pads but I'm sure they will be very close to what a good aftermarket set goes for with the ST.

Tires are pretty close even though there 19's and have fewer options still reasonable.

I think about my ST and I do need tires (was hoping to have the RS before that :( ) but the only money I have put into it would be for mods. I do my own oil changes for free, got to love dispensable bulk synthetic oil, and that's about it. I rotate my tires every season when I swap from winters, and they wear great for the 6K I put on them a season. I really can not think of anything I spent on the ST that wasn't mod related.
same here, but my windshield wipers need replaced soon:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts