Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Focus RS vs Camaro SS

29K views 81 replies 42 participants last post by  TurboJaso 
#1 ·
Surprised to not see this comparison done... it's been 20 years (wow) since my last Chevrolet, and frankly I haven't been a huge fan... but wow has Chevy done a good job on the new Camaro. I think if you can get the RS under MSRP, it's the clear winner, but once you start tacking on dealer markup, the comparison gets a little tougher. As with other cars, the RS is "special" and the Camaro is well... just a Camaro. The RS starts with a power to weight deficit, which I'm assuming can be made up with a tune, and will probably be more fun to toss around a track. As I said, the Camaro wasn't even on my radar until I started reading some reviews. Thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
I loved the Camaro in my research, but had to pass do to the non functional back seats, and near zero visibility. The RS is just much more practical for my situation with 2 little ones.

#14 ·
Th rs wont have the best visability either. The pillars and headrests cut down on rearward vision. I'm sure its better than the camaro though

#3 ·
Being 6'5", the back seat in my Focus ST isn't much use already, but I hear you. The utility of the Focus is definitely a consideration. Funny thing about the visibility in the Camaro, which Chevy even admits is terrible, but apparently their customer base places "looking cool" above "being able to see out of the car." LOL...

#5 ·
I can't wait to drive one. We are scheduled to start getting them in by the end in Jan. I could get a optioned out SS for around 40K with my discount and honestly I'm sure I would love it, but not like I can love my RS. The Camaro is too much of a compromise and that borderlines what I would buy for a toy. The RS can be used all year round, has a lot of room, has a hatch. I would say good MPG and fun to drive but the Camaro has those going for it. My idea of a toy is something like a stripped out cammed Z06, or an Atom, something that really excites the senses and is on the difficult side to drive. Even if I had a lot of disposable income the RS would still be a part of my stable, and I would most likely drive it everyday. The Camaro is just too much compromise for where I live, and not equally as rewarding as something with more compromise but be classed as the same type of vehicle, which would be a toy to me. I would still need two cars, and the Camaro isn't worthy of a second car position to me.

#7 · (Edited)
I never really cross shopped the Camaro or the Mustang for that matter. The whole reason I'm getting an RS is based off of 3 main things.

1. Practical (5 person car with space for storage)
This is my only car, so I need something that I throw 4 people and gear in and go skiing.

2. Performance
Duh right. Most of us on here are some level of automotive enthusiast. The RS will offer class leading performance and be fun to drive. Thats important to us.

3. AWD
Being in Denver, there is no question that I want something AWD if not FWD. I could never look at a car that was RWD as my only car.

So I need something practical, performance oriented, with AWD. Which completely knocks out any type of RWD coupe.

All that being said, none of those 3 things can matter to you if:
1. You live in a climate where RWD year round is acceptable.

2. This is not your only car. You have a practical car.

3. You dont need a practical car. You live alone, you have 0 friends (not including your 12 cats), and the only person who will ever be in the car is you and the most you'll ever haul is groceries and cat litter back to your one bed room apartment :p

If those 3 things are true for anyone (especially that last one), that makes the RS more of a toy (not saying that in a bad way) which means comparisons to Mustangs, Cameros, used 911s or whatever makes sense.

#8 ·
I've been in the new Camaro, it seats 2 fine, and 3 in a pinch (turned a bit sideways in the back seat).

Advantages over the RS: looks, that V8, the sound, magnetic shocks for smoother ride, true RWD with handling that in the SS version at least is being universally praised.

Disadvantages: massive size can be awkward in urban driving, near-total lack of outward visibility (who wants to lean forward to see the stoplights?), probably not as agile-feeling in quick maneuvers, lousy in snow, gulps gas when you're lead-footing it (although the RS probably will too).

#9 ·
IMHO RS wins over SS

IMHO the RS looks better . Aren't V8 and sound the same advantage? Agree the magnetic shocks will be better for a smoother ride, but RS on firm damper setting on the track shouldn't matter that much. Actually, we really don't know yet how the RS in "Track" mode with AWD will do compared with pure RWD ("Drift" mode is a sales gimmick and won't really do well at the track!) Yes, the SS will be a gas guzzler when driven hard; even driven hard the RS should still get decent mileage, i.e close to 20 mpg.

So, in summary, I respectfully disagree with your analysis of the RS versus the SS and again IMHO the RS is the clear winner over the SS, even though this is the best SS Camero to date produced by Chevy.

YMMV,

MidCow3

#10 ·
I think it's obvious that most of us here (this being a Focus RS forum and all) will immediately jump to the conclusion that the RS is a better car and that we're glad to have put our orders down on them. However, if you sit back and think for a minute about the comparison we're making this becomes a much more interesting proposition.

Clearly, the SS and RS are totally different cars, having been created with different visions and having entirely separate histories (although both have excellent stories to tell over the last 40 years or so). So, saying that the RS is a better car because of its practicality, flexibility or visibility is missing the point of the comparison. So, you ask, how can we possibly compare these cars? A comparison can be made when we simply look at these two cars as nothing more than that, cars. Remove your own biases and reasons for buying a car, this then becomes an interesting comparison.

The RS:
A European derived car born out of the desire for a small racing car for the everyday road. It's emphases are on quick handling, tight grip, visceral feel, and speed through corners to provide real thrills to automotive and racing enthusiasts. The RS is a car with amazing engine and AWD technology built on the sensible platform of a four door family hatchback. With 350 hp and lb/ft, it has the power to work with the (hopefully) excellent handling to be a true track star, which still provides excellent daily usability.

The Camaro SS:
A true American muscle pony car created in the 1960s to go faster in a straight line than a Mustang (to....varied success) and look damn cool while doing it. Until now, handling, cornering, and driver comfort never really mattered much to the Camaro. Yet, the 2016 Camaro has been transformed into a world class sports car (see Motor Trend COTY) with an excellent chassis/platform, improved exterior and totally redesigned and upgraded interior (plus one of the most ergonomic HVAC systems on the market), and the ability to handle the way a true RWD sports car should with loads of grip and tight cornering. All this is topped off with the powerful 455 hp and lb/ft V8 pulled straight from the Stingray Corvette. With improved (but not perfect) usability for most parts of the world, the Camaro offers sublime and addictive American power with European sports car handling characteristics to create a much more sophisticated car which should thrill average and enthusiast drivers alike.

When looked at as just cars, this becomes a more difficult comparison. Both cars have been created to thrill the driver, albeit in totally different ways. Both have excellent and hilariously fun handling (thank GM for using the fantastic Alpha platform), but one being RWD and the other being an innovative AWD system, the overall feel of the cars' handling will be different. Also, one being a pony car coupe while the other being a four door hatchback means that the cars have been created for different purposes and usability, yet both will function fantastically for their designed purpose - the RS will be versatile and practical for a family, while the SS will cruise and thrill a passenger and a friend.

Both are amazing cars, the Camaro being the COTY is simply stunning with how many excellent cars are on the market today, and I think both will be historically important cars in the future. And honestly, this is why if I wasn't able to purchase the RS, I was going to head straight over to the nearest Chevy dealership and buy an SS (as it's basically the same price as the RS.

I would just have to get my rusty old 72 Camaro out of my parent's garage first.....

#12 ·
I think it's obvious that most of us here (this being a Focus RS forum and all) will immediately jump to the conclusion that the RS is a better car....
Interesting discussion - a few comments:

The great majority of auto reviewers prefer the feel of a RWD over an AWD in a sports car (all else being equal of course). For example there is a new version of the Aventador out that is RWD, and it's universally preferred over its AWD stablemate. Perhaps the greatest appeal to me of the RS is that it will give us much if not most of that preferred RWD feel during vigorous driving, while offering the stability and security of AWD when we want it (winter, rain, etc).

I don't think visibility is an irrelevant issue in assessing a sports car. Being able to very precisely place your car on track or road is a key element of the sports car experience, and the horrid sightlines of the Camaro make that a lot more challenging. I remember Randy Pobst bringing that point up when he was tracking a Camaro. Poor outward visibility also limits outward awareness which is a very bad thing when you are driving enthusiastically on anything but an empty road.

#13 ·
I could buy the Camaro SS over the RS, as I'm sure most of us could.

I used to own a Z28 4th gen amongst others, 1 LT1 Formula, 1 TransAm, and 2 Firehawks.

While it does have an impressive 1/4mi and other decent performance figures, this new Camaro had very little appeal for me. If I'm going to drop 40K+ on a RWD Chevy, it will be for a C6Z. Frankly, once you open up the scope of purchase to RWD, there are quite a few of other cars I would rather have at that price point (New and Used).

RS just suits my needs better, and for me it is just the cooler car.:cool:

#26 ·
I found it funny seeing this posted, as I'm currently on travel for work in Colorado and driving a rental 2015 Camaro SS. Avis gave me a rocking deal on it because.. Well who's going to rent a 6.2L V8 car with performance tires here when they were calling for snow, lol.. (been driving it since the 6th) It's still not the kind of car I'm actually in the market for, not quite practical enough, not usable enough in bad weather (although I must give it credit.. Even though it *did* snow, I was able to get around just fine by using the ebrake to start in slick areas and even enjoyed a bit of tail happy fun), engine is too low tech, and the gas mileage is pretty bad, but I have had an absolute *blast* driving it. It makes a great noise (it even burbles! Lol), it's way more comfortable than my S2000 and even my wife's Impreza, it's pretty well equipped with all 3 mirrors being auto-dimming, reverse camera, good stereo system, HUD (I found this more useful than I expected... So much so I'm considering making one for the Focus when it comes in), heated seats... It's really just a nice car to drive along in. Even with the automatic that they rent out, there's always torque available, and if I drop it into sport and set the gears manually, it shifts exactly as I tell it to, *when* I tell it to. If I turn off the traction control and set the stability management in competition mode it'll let me slide the back end until I run out of talent. I'm not sure how I would feel about *owning* one, you see them around all the time and I might find things I'm disappointed with. It's possible that I've enjoyed it so much this trip because it's *not* the Hyundai Tucson that they originally were going to rent me.

Either way, when I see them on the road from now on I'm going to have fond memories of this one. It has a ton of character and is really easy to live with... Just a fun car to drive and very comfortable with my small frame.

P.S., the visibility is so much better than the S2000 with the roof up that I've had absolutely no complaints... Just depends on your perspective I guess.

If I end up disappointed with the Focus RS I probably wouldn't go with one of these, though. I might would step a different direction towards something like a M235i xDrive in hopes the interior would be at least as nice a place to sit as the Camaro.

#28 ·
I have not had the chance to drive a new Camaro, but I did sit in one at the auto show. The interior was nicer and more modern than I expected and with that motor it has to be a blast to drive. I think my biggest gripes about the car are outward visibility and the very low roofline in the back seat. I'm not a tall guy, but I had to sit in the back with my chin at my chest or I would not fit. Suprisingly it had even less rear headroom than the mustang.

I have two little ones that need a back seat, like the hatch for when I need to put larger items in the car, all wheel drive for Tahoe runs (will have to get all seasons at a min for the snow), and personally as much as I admire American muscle the RS is just more my style.

#29 · (Edited)
Test drove a 2SS with magnetic ride and dual mode exhaust today. An amazing car in many ways - tremendous curb appeal, fantastic engine sounds inside and out, great combined analog and digital IP. Visibility was better than I anticipated when on the road; there was no trouble seeing traffic signals at intersections. The only issue on that score was the big rear 3/4 blindspots, but the mirrors are OK and the BLIS worked well. The clutch is very heavy, so smooth shifting was a challenge, but the shifter felt great, and the auto rev matching is a fantastic feature.

The SS is very well damped on the road - no harsher than the Corolla the dealer drove me to the SS in. I didn't notice any significant difference in road feel across the different damper settings, but all of the roads we took were pretty smooth. Cornering is flat and sure-footed, with very quick turn-in and no evident nose-heaviness, and the car has a solid body with no rattles or noises present. Some wind noise was noticeable on the highway - more than the FoST had.

Acceleration in the right gear is amazing, it rips from 70 to 140 kph in a few seconds - almost too quickly to enjoy it.

But while it was a fun car to experience I came away feeling it is just too big and heavy for me - it's more a car for someone living in the exurbs and driving on freeways or rural roads all the time than it is for a city dweller. I want something more agile and maneuverable that feels lighter on its feet, like the FoST did when I drove it. Conclusion: RS wins this round over the SS.

#30 ·
One other amazing feature of the SS was its HUD. I thought it would have its display on the plane of the windscreen, but in fact it projects a bright, razor-sharp image at an apparent distance of about 3 feet beyond the nose of the car, and the effect is awesome.

#31 ·
These 2 cars are the very ones on my list to replace my BRZ. I did 40 track days last year and drove from my home in Florida to COTA, Watkins Glen, Road America, Palmer.... The new Camaro has the trans, diff and oil coolers to make it last on the track. The magnetic ride makes it a good car to drive to the track and not get beat up. The cost of a properly optioned 1SS comes in at the same MSRP as the RS2.

I drove one and the limited visibility makes the car feel huge. It felt like driving a tank. The trunk is big but I don't see how you can get anything in there unless you take it though the inside with the rear seats down. I went drove a ST3 last week to get an idea of the seating position and such for the RS. In traffic I found myself feeling like I could flick this car from lane to lane like a small car. The Recaros were awesome. Plenty of space form my track gear. I placed the order.

I traded a 2012 2SS in on the BRZ. It was a great car. Terrible on the track but very reliable. Fortunately it was my wife's daily and didn't need to perform on the track.

#33 ·
I just got back from Vegas earlier this month and I had a Camaro SS convertible. Let me tell you....on my way to and from the Grand Canyon, I passed some slowpokes on some 2 lane straights and when I floored it, that car came to life and it was MEAN! I mean, I don't think I've ever really felt that kind of power in anything that I've driven, so it was eye opening. BUT....as others have mentioned (and I've rented plenty of Camaros over the years), that visibility sucks a**. It's so bad and the trunk BARELY got my one bag in it from the airport. The FoRS is so much more practical and the fun factor on the curves is where it's at for me. I'm an autocrosser so corners matter more than straight line acceleration. To each their own though.

#34 ·
This is definitely an interesting topic, and as someone said, smiles per $ these 2 are probably pretty close.

I've ordered my RS but likely won't get it till July/August....I'm going to need some wheels between May and when it arrives, so considering a 2SS 2010-2012....just wondering how easy it'll be to sell.

#35 · (Edited)
DAMN! (I say damn not because I feel locked into the RS, but because I found a car that could actually make me second guess the RS) ......I've just been speccing a 2016 Camaro 2SS for shiggles. For 49k (before taxes, fees, etc... and actually more like 47k since I just realized that had the 8 speed auto that I forgot to change back) you can have the following:

455 HP 6.2L V8
0-60 in 4 seconds
175 mph
28 mpg highway claimed (I'm assuming it does the cylinder deactivation like the 'vette since it has the same engine, but you have to get the 8 speed auto to get this.. otherwise it's 25 mpg highway)
Brembo 6 piston brakes
Magnetic Ride Control with 3 modes (normal, sport, track)
Heated *and* ventilated seats
Blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic alert/reverse camera
Estimated weight is ~3685 lbs

Not as all-weather capable as the RS or as practical, but it's definitely a *lot* of car for the money. Comparing it side by side with the Corvette I realized there was no way I would pay an extra 20+k to have a similarly specced 'Vette.

Interesting! Problems are:

Camaros are common (so are Focuses, but not a *RS*... especially in the US)
It sounds complicated and maybe liable to require dealer maintenance with all the fancy tech (although the tech is part of what makes it nice)

#36 ·
DAMN! ......I've just been speccing a 2016 Camaro 2SS for shiggles. For 49k (before taxes, fees, etc... and actually more like 47k since I just realized that had the 8 speed auto that I forgot to change back) you can have the following:

455 HP 6.2L V8
0-60 in 4 seconds
175 mph
28 mpg highway claimed (I'm assuming it does the cylinder deactivation like the 'vette since it has the same engine, but you have to get the 8 speed auto to get this.. otherwise it's 25 mpg highway)
Brembo 6 piston brakes
Magnetic Ride Control with 3 modes (normal, sport, track)
Heated *and* ventilated seats
Blind spot monitoring/rear cross traffic alert/reverse camera
Estimated weight is ~3685 lbs

Not as all-weather capable as the RS or as practical, but it's definitely a *lot* of car for the money. Comparing it side by side with the Corvette I realized there was no way I would pay an extra 20+k to have a similarly specced 'Vette.

Interesting!
How easy is it for full-size adults to get in the back seat and when you open the hatchback and fold down the rear seats how much space do you have ?

YMMV,

MidCow3

#42 ·
The subjective feel of the Camaro and the Focus are so different, see what you prefer - the Camaro really is a massive car, which for me weakens the connection to the experience of driving. I could live with the seating for 2 and the poor storage, but not the lumbering size of the thing.

#43 ·
Looks like the Camaro SS is getting a 1LE option for 2017, and with an anticipated price of right at $40k, it's going to be a screamer. Makes the RS at any price above about $35k a tough sell IMO. The base SS will probably beat the RS around a track, but the 1LE will be no contest. The delays and dealer extortion on the RS has also made me take a second look at a GT mustang. It's heavier, less powerful and slower than the SS, but damn it looks good... and is $ thousands cheaper.

#51 ·
If I was going to spend $70k, it wouldn't be on a Camaro. They are also saying the 2017 1LE will be as quick around the track as the gen 5 Z28. Also, I've seen a few Z28s on track days, and as I pass them in my $21k Focus, you can see their white knuckles and panicked look on their faces. Guess they really couldn't afford that $70k Camaro after all. LOL...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.