Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m brand new to this page and just wondering what I need to tune my car, it’s a 2016 focus rs2 with a scorpion exhaust mishi moto intake, catless downpipe, and an aftermarket intercooler I do not know what the brand is. I was told with the catless downpipe it will be hell to find a tuner or tune my car, looking for anything, would definitely like to know more, not going for a crazy tune just to push the crank hp as wheel. Thanks in advance!
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Car Vehicle

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Welcome, and lookin' very clean! (y)

Given the mods on your RS; there's a high probability it was, or still is tuned. From your post; I assume you didn't get a tuner (i.e. Cobb AP, etc) with your RS. Doesn't mean there ISN'T a tune in it already. If I were you; I'd burn the highest octane pump gas (e.g. 93 octane) I could get as a protective measure; in case there is a tune in your PCM/ECU (this happened to me with my RS; came with a CAI, catless DP, and a catback exhaust--and unknown to me a tune of unknown parentage [didn't get the tuner that should have came with the RS]). "If" there is a tune in you RS; you can burn a lesser grade gas than what the tune is specced for, but eventually that could harm your engine. BE ADVISED!

BTW: An OEM tune only requires 91 octane.

Catless DP: Depends on which state you're in; and how assertive your state environmental regulatory agency is. I'm in MI. Our Peoples Democratic Party Regime is dead square on tuning shops ***es over Federal EPA Regs. Getting caught violating Federal EPA regs (e.g;. tuning a non EPA compliant car will likely cost them their State License/Certification--so most won't touch a non EPA car--happened to me--though the generousaity; of Snox801, I replaced my catless DP with his very low mileage OEM catted DP).

You need to get your RS into a competent shop (NOT my dealership; who's PCM/ECU Tech couldn't tell OEM from aftermarket code) to determine what kind of code you've got in your PCM/ECU. If there's a tune in there; whatever brand tuner the previous owner used "may" have installed what's known as a Strategy Code (software firewall that prevents an easy reflashing of your PCM/ECU to another standard [e.g.; OEM or a different tune]).

Unlike the smarter members of the forum; I've been the TEST DUMMY for all this ****, so feel free to post further here or PM me when you can.

Best wishes on getting your beauty of an RS sorted to your liking! (y)

· Registered
1,954 Posts
I have been very happy with JSTuned

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Given the mods on your RS; there's a high probability it was, or still is tuned. From your post; I assume you didn't get a tuner (i.e. Cobb AP, etc) with your RS. Doesn't mean there ISN'T a tune in it already. If I were you; I'd burn the highest octane pump gas (e.g. 93 octane) I could get as a protective measure; in case there is a tune in your PCM/ECU (this happened to me with my RS; came with a CAI, catless DP, and a catback exhaust--and unknown to me a tune of unknown parentage [didn't get the tuner that should have came with the RS]). "If" there is a tune in you RS; you can burn a lesser grade gas than what the tune is specced for, but eventually that could harm your engine. BE ADVISED!

Catless DP: Depends on which state you're in; and how assertive your state environmental regulatory agency is. I'm in MI. Our Peoples Democratic Party Regime is dead square on tuning shops ***es over Federal EPA Regs. Getting caught violating Federal EPA regs (e.g;. tuning a non EPA compliant car will likely cost them their State License/Certification--so most won't touch a non EPA car--happened to me--though the generousaity; of Snox801, I replaced my catless DP with his very low mileage OEM catted DP).

You need to get your RS into a competent shop (NOT my dealership; who's PCM/ECU Tech couldn't tell OEM from aftermarket code) to determine what kind of code you've got in your PCM/ECU. If there's a tune in there; whatever brand tuner the previous owner used "may" have installed what's known as a Strategy Code (software firewall that prevents an easy reflashing of your PCM/ECU to another standard [e.g.; OEM or a different tune]).

Unlike the smarter members of the forum; I've been the TEST DUMMY for all this ****, so feel free to post further here or PM me when you can.

Best wishes on getting beauty of an RS sorted to your liking! (y)
Thank you I believe the guy I bought it from said it was tuned, didn’t give much info but said it was conservatively tuned, he said it wasn’t a power focused tune but to make sure everything ran together the best it can, I live in NH and the only thing I have ever used on this or my last car has been 93 so I’m always careful to make sure I don’t put the wrong fuel in

· Registered
1,954 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
You’ll want to pick up the COBB accessport sooner than later that way you don’t have to wonder about what kind of calibration is currently in the car. With the COBB accessport you can get new custom tuning that can be dialed into your car specifically for the fuel and the modifications that you are running. I’ve been programming Focus ECUs for over 20 years so I can definitely help you out if that something that you are considering doing.

· Registered
145 Posts
Also, just to clarify, the EPA has made it so no COBB protuner can take care of the check engine light that will appear from an aftermarket downpipe. So keep that in mind. I would definitely run the stock downpipe if you have that option.

· Registered
14 Posts
You’ll want to pick up the COBB accessport sooner than later that way you don’t have to wonder about what kind of calibration is currently in the car. With the COBB accessport you can get new custom tuning that can be dialed into your car specifically for the fuel and the modifications that you are running. I’ve been programming Focus ECUs for over 20 years so I can definitely help you out if that something that you are considering doing.
I concur. I have one of those puppies on my '17 RS and also purchase the Cobb "optimized" tuning software which comes with 5 maps. OOOOOOEEEE! What a difference!!
I can even take on 5.0 Stangs from a standing start (0-60). Have not had a chance for a rolling race on an open freeway.
Caveat: I only do so keeping safety in mind.

· Registered
14 Posts

Best wishes on getting your beauty of an RS sorted to your liking! (y)
I suggest HellHorse in Conroe and talk to Travice.

· Registered
1 Posts
I would like to discuss programing a tune for my car. How do I contact you? New to forum, so limited options. Thanks,

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the car with the catless downpipe and a spacer so that the car doesn’t throw a code, I also heard of a hood tuner near me called freektune and was recommended by a bunch of people near me that they are the people to go too

· Registered
443 Posts
If you’re local to freektune and you can get a hold of him, I’d say go there. Very good tuner and has a good track record/resume. There’s great value in being able to work with your tuner face to face, imo.

If that doesn’t work out, then Ryan @ PDTuning would be the absolute next best option imo. His back and forth communication with you/me as a customer is the best I’ve personally experienced so far in the ecoboost world. While everyone’s experience may be different, Ryan has a great track record/resume on top of that.

· Registered
609 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts